OT: Musical Poker: 5 Band Stud | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Musical Poker: 5 Band Stud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's because I expected that someplace in the UK would win, but even I was shocked by how thoroughly London puts a beat-down on any other list suggested.

But London also gave us the Spice Girls. That knocks the city down many notches.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Going International again, I think we just bumped Birmingham from the top spot. Nobody is going to touch London.

London
  • Rolling Stones
  • The Who
  • The Kinks
  • Queen
  • Pink Floyd
How about this bench: Yes, The Police, Dire Straights, The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Cure, Squeeze, The Fixx, Psych Furs, (lots of solo acts...David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Elton John, Adam Ant, Billy Idol). I'm leaving a ton of them off.

That is astonishing.

What's astonishing is that Queen is anywhere near the top 5 you chose. While I'd prefer Sex Pistols & Clash to Pink Floyd & Queen, probably more here would go with Cream or Yardbirds over Queen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What's astonishing is that Queen is anywhere near the top 5 you chose. While I'd prefer Sex Pistols & Clash to Pink Floyd & Queen, probably more here would go with Cream or Yardbirds over Queen.
I'm with you here, Hans. But Journey over Jefferson Airplane?

Reaction Score
I disagree with you there. Queen endures much moreso than the others on popular and classic airwaves. Although the best of others (esp Cream, Badge, White Room, ToBUlysses) probably are better rock-n-roll tunes, if I could go back in time and see one band in concert, Queen is #1 on the list.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I disagree with you there. Queen endures much moreso than the others on popular and classic airwaves. Although the best of others (esp Cream, Badge, White Room, ToBUlysses) probably are better rock-n-roll tunes, if I could go back in time and see one band in concert, Queen is #1 on the list.

Add to that the fact that Cream and The Yardbirds didn't show up as London based on the list I saw. Cream, Yardbirds and Derek and the Dominoes independently simply didn't produce that much content. Quantity matters. Queen sold more records by far, and lasted longer. Actually, while I'm not huge fan, the Police probably have the best argument of those left off.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm with you here, Hans. But Journey over Jefferson Airplane?
I must not have been clear. Journey falls far short of any consideration. JeffersonX in all configurations don't make my Top 5, though Airplane thru "Volunteers" is good stuff, and acoustic Hot Tuna is superior, while electric is mixed.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Interesting criterion. If I never heard Queen again, I'd be OK w/that, but I appreciate your passion.

I would love to have seen Sex Pistols, don't really mind never having seen Clapton, loved Ray Davies (though only solo), and saw & liked Stones, Who, Clash. Twenty minutes of Police at Nassau Coliseum was enough for me to think they were great and then shift to thinking they were the Yes of the 80's and completely unnecessary.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Interesting criterion. If I never heard Queen again, I'd be OK w/that, but I appreciate your passion.

I would love to have seen Sex Pistols, don't really mind never having seen Clapton, loved Ray Davies (though only solo), and saw & liked Stones, Who, Clash. Twenty minutes of Police at Nassau Coliseum was enough for me to think they were great and then shift to thinking they were the Yes of the 80's and completely unnecessary.

Hans, where were you in 1976 when the Kinks played Jorgenson (with Jean-Luc Ponty of all people as the opening act)?

I never saw the Small Faces, but if we're talking London bands, I've been assured they were the live act to follow (and actually Birmingham's The Move apparently out-Who'd the Who at The Marquee as well). If Marriott had lived on, he'd be universally considered a top five vocalist all time.

Reaction Score
yes, globally, it's no contest.....but HuskyHawk's original post said "U.S. bands only"

I know what the thread title is. It was even reinforced in one of the opening replies. However seeing that line up from London good god, London occupies places 1-4 in the global list.

Reaction Score
I know what the thread title is. It was even reinforced in one of the opening replies. However seeing that line up from London good god, London occupies places 1-4 in the global list.

There could be a few arguments made for 1-4 but those would also come from the same country I do believe.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

And I left off a ton...I mean seriously, enough bands not mentioned for another 3 cities. Not at the same level, but still.

Reaction Score
Metallica is a SF band.

Can't believe the Boston list forgot these huge standards: Barry & Remains, Ultimate Spinach, Barbarians

NYC - Leslie West and Mountain, Spin Doctors, Hold Steady, Lou Reed

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hans, where were you in 1976 when the Kinks played Jorgenson (with Jean-Luc Ponty of all people as the opening act)?

In 1976, I was in Rochester, NY, and can't recall who else I saw besides the Dead, but Van Morrison & Zappa/Mothers come to mind. Maybe even Lou Reed with Hall & Oates opening, but any of those three could have been '75. Oh yeah, saw Poco and Stills-Young Band in Niagara Falls on Bicentennial Day. And did the Dead play Dillon Stadium that summer?

Reaction Score

I never saw the Small Faces, but if we're talking London bands, I've been assured they were the live act to follow (and actually Birmingham's The Move apparently out-Who'd the Who at The Marquee as well). If Marriott had lived on, he'd be universally considered a top five vocalist all time.
possibly the first Kinks show in the US after they reunited, loved it

Reaction Score
In 1976, I was in Rochester, NY, and can't recall who else I saw besides the Dead, but Van Morrison & Zappa/Mothers come to mind. Maybe even Lou Reed with Hall & Oates opening, but any of those three could have been '75. Oh yeah, saw Poco and Stills-Young Band in Niagara Falls on Bicentennial Day. And did the Dead play Dillon Stadium that summer?
they played at Colt Park in'76, Colt Park and the Magical Summer of 1976 | ConnecticutHistory.org

They played at Dillon Stadium in '74

Reaction Score
Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
Elvis Presley
The Andrews Sisters
Motley Crue
The Monkees

This has to be the worst hand ever in musical poker—not even a pair, just a King high (Elvis).

I fold.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
possibly the first Kinks show in the US after they reunited, loved it

Schoolboys was a very underrated album. I still have the clip from the CDC's review of that show somewhere. Ray thought he was in Hartford.

Reaction Score

I hear you on the Police, that was their rep - awful/flat in concert don't bother. In contrast Freddie Mercury's legacy is one of the most charismatic, energetic and best concert performers. I think you can see it in their concert footage. On that front I'd rate Mick Jagger #1 I've seen him in 80's, 90's (I thought I was good at that point) and again in 2015 and he retains his incredible energy and stage presence. Bruce, Bono are the other two I'd put in that upper echelon, then dropoff among those I've seen to Roger Waters, R Daltrey/Townsend.

However thinking about it I completely understand about never hearing the way overplayed popular catalog of Queen again AND if say Led Zeppelin, The Doors and Queen were playing the same night I wouldn't hesitate a moment to see Zeppelin and Queen would be a distant 3rd. But I wasn't old enough (1st concert 1980) to have had a chance to see Zeppelin so its not the same regret.

Reaction Score
I hear you on the Police, that was their rep - awful/flat in concert don't bother. In contrast Freddie Mercury's legacy is one of the most charismatic, energetic and best concert performers. I think you can see it in their concert footage. On that front I'd rate Mick Jagger #1 I've seen him in 80's, 90's (I thought I was good at that point) and again in 2015 and he retains his incredible energy and stage presence. Bruce, Bono are the other two I'd put in that upper echelon, then dropoff among those I've seen to Roger Waters, R Daltrey/Townsend.

However thinking about it I completely understand about never hearing the way overplayed popular catalog of Queen again AND if say Led Zeppelin, The Doors and Queen were playing the same night I wouldn't hesitate a moment to see Zeppelin and Queen would be a distant 3rd. But I wasn't old enough (1st concert 1980) to have had a chance to see Zeppelin so its not the same regret.
In my younger days I was a huge huge huge Doors fan. I saw them live while I was stationed in San Diego. It was one of the worse concerts I ever attended. Morrison drunk/stoned out of his mind. He went off on some bizarre tangents. Big disappointment!
Unfortunately I never got to see Zeppelin live but did see Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters at the New Orleans Jazz Fest a couple years ago.

Reaction Score
In my younger days I was a huge huge huge Doors fan. I saw them live while I was stationed in San Diego. It was one of the worse concerts I ever attended. Morrison drunk/stoned out of his mind. He went off on some bizarre tangents. Big disappointment!
Unfortunately I never got to see Zeppelin live but did see Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters at the New Orleans Jazz Fest a couple years ago.
Very cool Doors story though, at the time probably any other concert would have been better - but from a story being worth it perspective (not to mention life lesson) seeing "that" Jim Morrison with your own eyes was probably well worth ruining a night and the $15 ticket.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
Elvis Presley
The Andrews Sisters
Motley Crue
The Monkees

This has to be the worst hand ever in musical poker—not even a pair, just a King high (Elvis).

I fold.
Disagree about the Monkees. They should be in the HOF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom