OT: Musical Poker: 5 Band Stud | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Musical Poker: 5 Band Stud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NYC (has to win with 5 x ?? a lot, right)
Ramones
KISS
Talking Heads
Beastie Boys
Blondie

Love Blondie but would bump her for velvet underground, modern lovers, or the NY dolls.

I don't think of kiss as a NYC band either.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Due to tremendous drop in quality in relatively short time, I'd drop Jefferson Airplane in favor of Flamin' Groovies, but I recognize that on The Boneyard more people would go with Steve Miller Band.

I also prefer Hot Tuna to Jefferson whatever, and Journey falls far short of Tower of Power, Mohy Grape, Quicksilver Messenger Service, all kinds of bands. Or Green Day, Dead Kennedys, and The Rubinoos, if coming from the direction that yielded the Groovies.

I left out ToP because they're from Oakland.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Love Blondie but would bump her for velvet underground, modern lovers, or the NY dolls.

I don't think of kiss as a NYC band either.

VU and Dolls, yes, and add Television, but Modern Lovers are a Boston band (note "Roadrunner")

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Lawn Guyland:

Blue Oyster Cult
De La Soul
EPMD (side note: Parrish Smith played football for SCSU)
Public Enemy
Vanilla Fudge

Now that is one weird lineup.

Individuals: Billy Joel, Busta Rhymes, Eddie Money, Harry Chapin, Joan Jett, Lou Reed, Mariah Carey and Pat Benatar.

Reaction Score
a couple of little cities that punch above their weight

washington dc:

minor threat
bad brains
marvin gaye
roberta flack
duke ellington

cleveland:

devo
the black keys
raspberries
nine inch nails
bone thugs-n-harmony

plus someone already mentioned the twin cities! if i knew anything about country music, nashville and/or memphis would prob be up there too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Add Replacements & Husker Du, then a big dropoff.

Son Volt/Jayhawks/Golden Smog and all their incarnations, Soul Aslyum and c'mon man, Morris Day.

Lawn Guyland:

Blue Oyster Cult
De La Soul
EPMD (side note: Parrish Smith played football for SCSU)
Public Enemy
Vanilla Fudge

I'm impressed one can put together a list of LI bands and not mention The Good Rats.

I'd like to stand up for my adopted city, but it's pretty bleak:

Donnie Iris/The Jaggerz
Joe Gruschecky and the Houserockers (always plays with Springsteen when the latter is in town)
Rusted Root
Anti Flag
The Clarks
The Del-Vikings

Although we do have an extremely rich jazz history, plus Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Son Volt/Jayhawks/Golden Smog and all their incarnations, Soul Aslyum and c'mon man, Morris Day.

True enough on all, though I haven't listened to as much of them except Jayhawks and descendants on radio.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

I'm impressed one can put together a list of LI bands and not mention The Good Rats.

I'd like to stand up for my adopted city, but it's pretty bleak:

Donnie Iris/The Jaggerz
Joe Gruschecky and the Houserockers (always plays with Springsteen when the latter is in town)
Rusted Root
Anti Flag
The Clarks
The Del-Vikings

Although we do have an extremely rich jazz history, plus Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller.

Wow, how did I miss The Good Rats? Probably because I can't name a song they did. Weird shade.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wow, how did I miss The Good Rats? Probably because I can't name a song they did. Weird shade.

No shade meant. If you attended UConn in the late 70s-early 80s, the Good Rats were almost always playing somewhere within a 90 minute drive, often much less. They played Shaboo pretty regularly. In addition to Billy Joel, they were LI rock and roll for a period.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You should find a large drop off location and then jump.

A might harsh Mr. Diesel, but several people agree that Sly should certainly stay on that list. SF has an epic, deep list. Not sure who can top them for overall depth. I'm an old fan of the Tubes and forgot about Huey Lewis, who was certainly big for a time.

The SF Gate has Sly at #1. The list is flawed by giving SF credit for acts like Neil Young (Canada!) and Van Morrison
The Top 100 Bay Area Bands 1-50

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Birmingham:

Black Sabbath
ELO
Judas Priest
Led Zeppelin
Moody Blues

;)

Since you went there
Dublin
  • U2
  • Thin Lizzy
  • Boomtown Rats
  • Hothouse Flowers
  • Chieftains
Thought I'd get the Cranberries but they are from Limerick.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Thanks. Actually a good read, and very funny.

Best quote is from the guitar player along the lines of " the song makes fun of techno- pop, but it is techno-pop. "

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Going International again, I think we just bumped Birmingham from the top spot. Nobody is going to touch London.

London
  • Rolling Stones
  • The Who
  • The Kinks
  • Queen
  • Pink Floyd
How about this bench: Yes, The Police, Dire Straights, The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Cure, Squeeze, The Fixx, Psych Furs, (lots of solo acts...David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Elton John, Adam Ant, Billy Idol). I'm leaving a ton of them off.

That is astonishing.

Reaction Score
Going International again, I think we just bumped Birmingham from the top spot. Nobody is going to touch London.

London
  • Rolling Stones
  • The Who
  • The Kinks
  • Queen
  • Pink Floyd
How about this bench: Yes, The Police, Dire Straights, The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Cure, Squeeze, The Fixx, Psych Furs, (lots of solo acts...David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Elton John, Adam Ant, Billy Idol). I'm leaving a ton of them off.

That is astonishing.

Close this thread down - London Global domination.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
yes, globally, it's no contest.....but HuskyHawk's original post said "U.S. bands only"

That's because I expected that someplace in the UK would win, but even I was shocked by how thoroughly London puts a beat-down on any other list suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom