OT: Knicks and Spike Lee | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Knicks and Spike Lee

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He's quite a lot more than that, and yes, imperfectly human.

Are you perhaps among those who feel uncomfortable while watching "Do the Right Thing"?
not at all - never watched it
I'm sure he's a talented producer/writer
Based on numerous interviews I have seen and read done 1 0n 1 with him

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Are you going to elaborate on this casually racist comment?
The only comment that can be made is that you don't know me and now you have jumped to two erroneous conclusions in this post.

Reaction Score
The only comment that can be made is that you don't know me and now you have jumped to two erroneous conclusions in this post.
I was very careful in my wording. I didn't call you racist. Read the question again. I said the comment is casually racist. I separated you from the statement, which is much more leeway than you've given Spike Lee.

Saying a black man "acts like was raised in the hood", when he has (to my knowledge) never been arrested, never been accused of committing crimes, who has been married over 25 years, who has no children out of wedlock, and has never been tied to any of the negative stereotypes about people from "the hood" that you were implying, is most certainly casually racist.

Which is why I asked you to explain the comment, maybe you have some information that I don't. You have the opportunity to explain yourself, you can take it, or you can pretend to be the victim here. But you aren't.

And the irony is, you didn't know what his dad did, yet provided that as evidence to your opinion. Maybe take a step back and rethink this one.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
“The idea that Spike Lee is a victim because we have repeatedly asked him to not use our employee entrance and instead use a dedicated VIP entrance – which is used by every other celebrity who enters The Garden – is laughable,” the team said. “It’s disappointing that Spike would create this false controversy to perpetuate drama. He is welcome to come to The Garden anytime via the VIP or general entrance; just not through our employee entrance, which is what he and Jim agreed to last night when they shook hands.”
Is that Page Six? Is that why you didn't source the quote? You do know that he was hassled after his ticket was scanned. I think that makes this Knicks story sketchy.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I was very careful in my wording. I didn't call you racist. Read the question again. I said the comment is casually racist. I separated you from the statement, which is much more leeway than you've given Spike Lee.

Saying a black man "acts like was raised in the hood", when he has (to my knowledge) never been arrested, never been accused of committing crimes, who has been married over 25 years, who has no children out of wedlock, and has never been tied to any of the negative stereotypes about people from "the hood" that you were implying, is most certainly casually racist.

Which is why I asked you to explain the comment, maybe you have some information that I don't. You have the opportunity to explain yourself, you can take it, or you can pretend to be the victim here. But you aren't.

And the irony is, you didn't know what his dad did, yet provided that as evidence to your opinion. Maybe take a step back and rethink this one.
i admitted my error in the case of the man's father's occupation and am duly chastised. Now the issue must be why would you be spending so much effort on me.. I just said I don't like the guy and consider him a fraud. You disagree I can live with that. You're free to have your opinion. You have defined your criteria for my comment, but they are not mine. My comments had no tinge of racism from my side. If you heard them differently then you have a problem, not me. I have just two questions. What color am I and where did I grow up?

Reaction Score
i admitted my error in the case of the man's father's occupation and am duly chastised. Now the issue must be why would you be spending so much effort on me.. I just said I don't like the guy and consider him a fraud. You disagree I can live with that. You're free to have your opinion. You have defined your criteria for my comment, but they are not mine. My comments had no tinge of racism from my side. If you heard them differently then you have a problem, not me. I have just two questions. What color am I and where did I grow up?
You said he acts like he's from the hood. Multiple people have asked you what this means and how he acts like he's from the hood and you never answered.

I'll ask again, how does Spike Lee act like he's from the hood?

Reaction Score
Multiple people have identified the problem with your post. Not just me.

If you want to walk the comment back, then good; but you didn't "just say [you] don't like the guy". I don't much like him either. You said he "acts like he's from the hood". That's not the same thing. He could act like that and you could still like him. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Because nobody knows the context of the post, or the background of the poster, it could certainly be considered a comment hinged on racist opinions. Which is why you've been asked to explain it multiple times. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm not trying to make you like him, I couldn't care less.

But you refuse to simply explain the comment, so the dance continues.

It's not about you personally, it's about how he allegedly pretends to be from the hood. How so?

It should be an easy explanation if that behavior is what fueled your distaste for the man.

Edit...
By the way, if you're a black/brown man/woman, and you believe that would change my reaction to your comment, then you should understand exactly where I'm coming from.

If a black person can say what you said, but a white person "can't".....

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
Actually, I haven't been following this post. Only been responding to @WingU-Conn because he has been responding to me directly. I actually thought the whole garden incident was a tempest in a teapot that Mr. Lee blew up into something larger than necessary. To me it smacked of a privileged attitude that he was able to determine which rules at MSG applied to him and which applied to others. To me, he was trying to project MSG staff as disrespecting him when none was intended. I have been engaged with too many individuals who use false claims of disrespect to cause chaos and issues where it would have been much simpler to follow the rules. Typically the individuals in my experience have not performed in such a way as to earn respect. I projected that onto Spike Lee after viewing the video and hearing parts of his discussion with Stephen A and reading the MSG response. For those who I offended, my comment was thoughtless and I sincerely apologize.

Reaction Score
My only concern is Spike starts showing up courtside at UConn games. We don't want that distraction but make no mistake about it, we BACK!!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When I die, I want Dolan and his Knicks management team to be my pallbearers, so they can let me down one last time. #LifelongNightmare

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom