OT: CFP spot reserved for the SEC? | The Boneyard

OT: CFP spot reserved for the SEC?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Hearing this drum beat for the SEC champ to get a playoff spot regardless of rankings, e.g. Bama passing Texas if they beat Georgia. Doesn't the SEC get enough advantages already (poll prepositioning and schedule assessment)? Now we're going to say their losses don't count? I know we live in a feelings over facts world and a lot of people feel Bama us better than Texas, but the games ought to count for something. This would really tick me off.

Reaction Score
Hearing this drum beat for the SEC champ to get a playoff spot regardless of rankings, e.g. Bama passing Texas if they beat Georgia. Doesn't the SEC get enough advantages already (poll prepositioning and schedule assessment)? Now we're going to say their losses don't count? I know we live in a feelings over facts world and a lot of people feel Bama us better than Texas, but the games ought to count for something. This would really tick me off.

Reaction Score
I'm sure they'll just decide to screw FSU if they win tonight and use the injury as the excuse to keep them out and they'll go with Michigan, Alabama, Texas, and Washington. They probably want to keep Washington out too in favor of Georgia but they won't because Washington is going to the Big 10 now

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
This FSU team is fun to watch. Never thought I would root for FSU but they play together and they play joyfully. Hope they get their shot (even though I know, even before kickoff, they won’t).

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
This FSU team is fun to watch. Never thought I would root for FSU but they play together and they play joyfully. Hope they get their shot (even though I know, even before kickoff, they won’t).
They're going to need d and specials to win this for them...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We all know they'll find a way to get a SEC school in. They want the eye balls for their cash cow. I'd be interested to see the numbers if we finally had a CFP without a SEC school. I for one might actually watch it.

Reaction Score
Bama is NOT getting in over TX

A better line of argument would be that FSU stinks since their QB went down. Seminoles have 30 yards of offense after 20 mins.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
FSU is brutal right now.....got the ball at Louisville 30 and moved ball a few plays and then lost it all and missed FG....yikes

Reaction Score
Unfortunately FSU would be destroyed by any of the top 8 teams with there current situation
Backup qb would be back for playoffs. Defense excellent. Would be first undefeated power 5 excluded.

Reaction Score
Although FSU will probably be killed in the playoff, I just don't see how an undefeated P5 champion would be excluded by the committee. And, I don't see how the CFP can take Alabama over Texas due to Texas beating Alabama by 10 points @ Alabama. Thus, if FSU and Michigan win, SEC is out of the playoffs.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Unfortunately FSU would be destroyed by any of the top 8 teams with there current situation
This reliance on what "we all know" is what i hate. An undefeated P4 champion earned it, they're in. Who cares what we think they'll do. Of the 3 one-loss majors Bama and TX are champs=Georgia is out; Texas has head-head over Bama=Bama is out... That's results based, not opinion based.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The adjustments out of the half for both Louisville and FSU have gotten playmakers into space. Other than the one trick play, it’s been creativity that’s conservative at the same time.

Hope our guys are taking notes.

Reaction Score
The best 4 teams are Bama, Georgia, Michigan, and Texas.

That said I wouldn't give a darn if Georgia were left out and undefeated Florida State got in. Washington's schedule is too weak and they have had too many close calls to get in IMO.

Reaction Score

That said I wouldn't give a darn if Georgia were left out and undefeated Florida State got in. Washington's schedule is too weak and they have had too many close calls to get in IMO.
The problem with Michigan and Georgia is that according to Sagarin, they have played the 55th and 56th hardest schedules. Texas has played the 2nd hardest, Alabama has played the 15th, and Washington has played the 26th. FSU has played the 66th hardest schedule.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
"Best" is imaginary. Georgia didn't win it's conference, Bama lost by 10 at home to Texas. If we went by "best", they'd probably take away a couple of our hoops Natty's. Bama and Georgia get plenty of benefits from their SEC membership, they shouldn't beg for a pass on the down side.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
We'll see what happens tomorrow, but this Fla St performance deserves to be rewarded.

Reactions: OEX

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The SEC has a losing record against other P5 teams, so why is an SEC's schedule tougher than a Pac 12 team's? Or is the SEC just better because it is better, and we shouldn't bother playing the games? Does Alabama pass the eye test? They lost to Texas at home and needed a miracle to beat Auburn a week after Auburn got blown out by New Mexico State.

Washington, Michigan and Texas should be locks. FSU should be in with an ACC championship, but they will get demolished by Michigan.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The SEC has a losing record against other P5 teams, so why is an SEC's schedule tougher than a Pac 12 team's? Or is the SEC just better because it is better, and we shouldn't bother playing the games?
It's a house of cards. Every year you're just supposed to believe the SEC is better than everybody else, because that's what ESPN tells you to believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom