OT- best golf course you've played | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT- best golf course you've played

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
One of the best I ever played is on the Golf Channel right now (until around 7pm est). Martis Camp Golf Club in Truckee, CA. Its about 15 minutes from Tahoe and spectacular. Unfortunately, its private.

Reaction Score
Not the nicest in the world, but outside Augusta, me in the middle of nowhere is Belgrade lakes...
Really nice course... Highly recommended.
Stumbled on it last year and will be going back.

Reaction Score
One of the best I ever played is on the Golf Channel right now (until around 7pm est). Martis Camp Golf Club in Truckee, CA. Its about 15 minutes from Tahoe and spectacular. Unfortunately, its private.
That's great CA, good work. It seems we could have a new thread just for private courses and how we were able to get on them! Down here in Southwest FL there are courses like Norman's Tiburon that are available through Summer reciprocal programs, otherwise regular guys have no chance of getting on them. Playing an elite course is like having court side seats, you never want to go back to an average one again.

Reaction Score
Not the nicest in the world, but outside Augusta, me in the middle of nowhere is Belgrade lakes...

Belgrade Lakes is legendary among Mainers.

Reaction Score
It's hard to imagine a prettier course anywhere than Shinnecok, at least on TV or pictures. Has the best qualities of Scottish links courses, dunes of south like Kiawah and gorgeous green colors. I would say Pebble, but the non-ocean holes are bland.

For me I got a chance to play Torrey North (not famous) South a few years ago on a business trip and Pinehurst 7 way back in my early 20s. Also played the Woodlands Champions course where they used to play the Shell. Great track, lined with huge mansions, at the time I think 2/3 of athletes in HTown lived there.

The two "best" courses I've played are Shinnecock and The Maidstone Club. Honestly Maidstone is the superior track -- prettier and more unique, just not long enough to host championship events. It's also strikingly beautiful.

Maidstone_11_12_13.jpg

images

Other great courses I've played are Hobe Sound Golf Club in Florida and Provo Golf Club (Turks and Caicos Islands).

Reaction Score
Tunxis Plantation about 15 years ago with Mau, Doggydaddy and Nuzzi.

How you doing Kev?

Reaction Score
Spaulding sighting? Any dooties? That place has 2 b like pseudo museum.

Tell me more. Did you have lunch on the deck that Smails winged his club up into? Is the front the same where Al tells him "it's a parking lot, Wang!" I need to know these details.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's hard to imagine a prettier course anywhere than Shinnecok, at least on TV or pictures. Has the best qualities of Scottish links courses, dunes of south like Kiawah and gorgeous green colors. I would say Pebble, but the non-ocean holes are bland.

For me I got a chance to play Torrey North (not famous) South a few years ago on a business trip and Pinehurst 7 way back in my early 20s. Also played the Woodlands Champions course where they used to play the Shell. Great track, lined with huge mansions, at the time I think 2/3 of athletes in HTown lived there.

In the category of "to each their own", Shinnecock is #1 on my bucket list. Ahead of Augusta, Pebble Beach or anything else.

My Top 5

Shinnecock
Augusta
Whistling Straits
Southern Hills
Pinehurst

Reaction Score
Been lucky several times to golf in Scotland...

Top Courses I've played...

Royal Dornoch - THE Best bar none -
Carnoustie - The toughest (Champ)
Loch Lomond - Lovingly set in a 350 year old Arboretum - stunning
Cruden Bay - Great Track
Crail - Classic
Machrie- On Islay, fantastic, and oh the Single Malts

I can't encourage you guys enough to play in Scotland at least once in your life. The golf is virtually all public and very affordable except a few mostly owned by investors. Book yourself and drive. Don't waste your money on the super expensive golf tours. Remember they do speak English, funny accent, but still English. Go in late May or June as you can play until 10pm or later especially in the North. A tip, the Scots eat dinner around 6. Play late afternoon and you'll have the courses to yourself. Castles and gardens early golf late makes for a great trip.

Reaction Score
Last February I played Bandon Dunes, Bandon Trail, Pacific Trail, and Old Macdonald in Bandon, OR in one weekend. Golf Mecca...or at least Links Mecca.

image.jpg

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Been lucky several times to golf in Scotland...

Top Courses I've played...

Royal Dornoch - THE Best bar none -
Carnoustie - The toughest (Champ)
Loch Lomond - Lovingly set in a 350 year old Arboretum - stunning
Cruden Bay - Great Track
Crail - Classic
Machrie- On Islay, fantastic, and oh the Single Malts

I can't encourage you guys enough to play in Scotland at least once in your life. The golf is virtually all public and very affordable except a few mostly owned by investors. Book yourself and drive. Don't waste your money on the super expensive golf tours. Remember they do speak English, funny accent, but still English. Go in late May or June as you can play until 10pm or later especially in the North. A tip, the Scots eat dinner around 6. Play late afternoon and you'll have the courses to yourself. Castles and gardens early golf late makes for a great trip.

Having played Dornoch, Carnoustie and Cruden, couldnt agree more with your entire post. Check out Aberdeen and Western Gailes next time too -- perfect golf designs....

Reaction Score
I agree, that is a must do trip. Just have 2 run with the great group that is willing to drop $5k+ on a golf trip.

For me I would have to play Carnoustie and the Old Course and then could be any others like Troon, Birkdale or whichever ones you can get on b

Having played Dornoch, Carnoustie and Cruden, couldnt agree more with your entire post. Check out Aberdeen and Western Gailes next time too -- perfect golf designs....

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Definitely Buffumville Dam. 27 holes. Mix of par 2's, 3's, 4's. Some dangerous drives over the drain irrigation channels though. Lost my Leopard. Good thing I didn't use the Innova Blizzard Champion Boss 150 series. That disc is my dog.

Reaction Score
Belgrade lakes is terrific. What do you mean in the middle of nowhere? It is only about a mile from Rome! There is a very nice restaurant in Belgrade lakes, too. Village Inn. the owner is a very nice guy.

Reaction Score
Anyone ever play Taconic in Williamstown? I played 9 there once with a Williams Alum but we got rained out and never made it to the back. It is really nice based on what I saw before the storm hit. Almost every green is sloped from back to front, so I was told, and experienced. usually better to be short and run it up the hill than try and make it stop going down. Beautiful area too.

Reaction Score
I'm not much of a golf guy so I don't exactly appreciate a great golf course or what makes it great but my dad has the opportunity to play Pine Valley in NJ tomorrow, the #1 golf course in the world. Haven't heard him this excited in a while, wondering if anyone here has had a chance to play it or any other really good courses that are out there.
Sand Hills Golf Club. I had the pleasure to work there as well. Ranked top 15 all-time and I saw it was Number 1 in some other poll about courses built in the last 50 years or something like that.

Reaction Score
Just talked to the guys about a trip to Maine with Belgrade on the schedule this fall.......maybe Outlook or Dunesgrass on the way back..........anywhere to stay near Belgrade?

Reaction Score
Sand Hills Golf Club. I had the pleasure to work there as well. Ranked top 15 all-time and I saw it was Number 1 in some other poll about courses built in the last 50 years or something like that.

You and I have talked about this before... but you are a lucky guy playing that place! I played Wild Horse two years ago. That was cool and from what I understand it doesnt hold a candle to Sand Hills.

Reaction Score
Groupon has 18 holes with a cart for 2 at Gillette Ridge for 65.00 this morning. Not a bad price for a nicer track.

Reaction Score
I agree, that is a must do trip. Just have 2 run with the great group that is willing to drop $5k+ on a golf trip.

For me I would have to play Carnoustie and the Old Course and then could be any others like Troon, Birkdale or whichever ones you can get on b
I doubt you'll get to play Troon...you need a letter of introduction form the club secretary, but you won't get one because he will be in his club in London and even if you can find him, he won't give you the necessary papers. At least that's how it worked a few years ago...I was told by the pro "You'll not be playing Troon, laddie..."

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Just talked to the guys about a trip to Maine with Belgrade on the schedule this fall.......maybe Outlook or Dunesgrass on the way back..........anywhere to stay near Belgrade?

I like outlook. 66% of it is faux links. Very good. Ledges is great too.

Reaction Score
I like outlook. 66% of it is faux links. Very good. Ledges is great too.

Yeah heard Ledges was a pretty good track too..........Outlook may get the nod..........but Belgrade is the definite!

Thanks

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom