OT- best golf course you've played | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT- best golf course you've played

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yeah, a lot of them have been doing that. Burning Ridge closed the West course, but luckily my grandparents live on the 12th hole of the east.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For awhile before 9/11 I had one of the greatest jobs in the world. I got paid to play golf. Our main clients were CVBs and travel software integrators. Every president of every CVB is a near scratch golfer and they want to show off the best courses in their area (at our expense, of course). So I got to play a lot of really nice courses, at least a dozen in Golf Mag's top 100 circa 2000, including Doral, Hazeltine, Eastlake. Didn't hurt our CEO was a member of Baltusrol, so we got to play there once - closest thing to pro greens conditions I've ever played on. I was a 15 handicap and I felt lucky to break 100. I've played tougher courses that were more 'gimmicky' (e.g. Dye), but I think Baltusrol was the most challenging "classic" track.

But playing the Old Course was by far the most fun. The Road Hole is intimidating as there's nothing like it anywhere (and I even had to play off the road). Parred 18 with a gallery of a few dozen tourists :)

My favorite moment was when I had 150 yds to one of the front nine holes when the caddy handed me a five iron. I told him I'd be able to reach easily with my seven. He just looked at me and said, "Not today, laddy!".

Reaction Score
I broke 80 for the first time on Wild Wing (78) !! Sucks that they sold one of the courses to build houses!

Wild Wings courses in the late 80's/early 90's had the absolute best greens in all of Myrtle Beach by far.......those Penn Bents were wonderful to roll the ball on!

Reaction Score
How is that course I'll will hopefully in Cabo in Dec.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

It's great. It is closed in the summer so I normally play the other course there. Nicklaus did the ocean course. Weiskopf did the inland one I believe. Also a good course.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not in order:
Banff Golf Club, Banff, Alberta, Canada... spectacular setting, only fair conditions, but snow covered mountains and crystal clear dark blue sky made it worth it. Didn't finish until after 9pm in mid-July.

You forgot to mention threat of bears.
Agree on beauty of scenery on that course though. Gorgeous.

Didn't mention Hawai'i on first response. Every course we played there was challenging due to wind, changes in elevation, and on the Big Island, losing balls in lava rock. But all beautiful courses. Played Mauna Lani, Mauna Kea, Manele, Koele, Waikele and what was at the time the highest slope rating in the world, Kooalu, which was like playing golf in Jurassic Park.

My favorite might've been Koele as it was completely unexpected - higher up a big hill on Lanai, it looks more like a course in W. Pennsylvania than Hawai'i. Great track layout, big elevation changes, pine trees all over, cool mountain air and wild turkeys that chase your cart.

Reaction Score
Grew up playing Hunter and the Jones course at Lyman......the tips were a challenge now their too far LOL...........

Agree on Hartford GC, Crump is a wonderful carved out track, Fox.....not Crump but not too bad........Yale, classic - Hop Meadow not bad, Ellington Ridge - true test especially that finishing 3 holes - killer!

The Ranch you mentioned prior, best in this area for me....move out a little and Blackstone, Red Tail are real nice but Pine Hills are the nicest pair in New England I've played(Waverly Oaks is very nice too)......looking to get to Belgrade and Sunday River
Played Waverly, and it isn't Pinehills, but nice. I will definitely be trying Blackstone and Red Tail, and a few others up that way. Maybe the course in Quincy too. Is the course on Nantucket worth the money? It's about $150-200 with deep discounts (counting ferry).

Reaction Score
Just checkin'....

How was Fisher's?

It was pretty nasty out there. The greens were like lightning, and several holes were straight into gale force winds. I usually hit my 9 iron 150-155, and on the first par 3 on the back, it was 157 into the wind. I nutted a 5 iron into the wind and didn't reach the green !! All in all, two things saved me out there.... My driver and hybrid were absolutely on fire, and instead of hitting wedge (which I usually do) if I was 5-15 yards off of the green, I broke out the putter. Can't do that on many courses around here, and putting onto the green probably saved me 5 strokes. All in all, nothing but great things to say about that course!

Reaction Score
Played Waverly, and it isn't Pinehills, but nice. I will definitely be trying Blackstone and Red Tail, and a few others up that way. Maybe the course in Quincy too. Is the course on Nantucket worth the money? It's about $150-200 with deep discounts (counting ferry).

Miacomet or Nantucket Golf Club?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You forgot to mention threat of bears.
Agree on beauty of scenery on that course though. Gorgeous.

Didn't mention Hawai'i on first response. Every course we played there was challenging due to wind, changes in elevation, and on the Big Island, losing balls in lava rock. But all beautiful courses. Played Mauna Loa, Mauna Kea, Manele, Koele, Waikele and what was at the time the highest slope rating in the world, Kooalu, which was like playing golf in Jurassic Park.

My favorite might've been Koele as it was completely unexpected - higher up a big hill on Lanai, it looks more like a course in W. Pennsylvania than Hawai'i. Great track layout, big elevation changes, pine trees all over, cool mountain air and wild turkeys that chase your cart.

Going on a tangent, what's the craziest animal you've encountered on a course?

For me it's the following-

Moose and beavers in Alaska.
Coyotes in San Diego.
A massive deer sprinting right at our cart in Carson City.
Alligators, moccasins and rattlers on most Florida courses.
But the worst was a flock of geese in Virginia Beach that I was certain they were going to kill me, do a massive air raid, or both. I chunked three straight shots in to a pond because I was so freaked.

Reaction Score

We forgot to mention Bushwood CC.........some of the best fairways with a Kentuck Blue Grass combined with Northern California Sensimilla........play 36 holes on it then take some home and get stoned to the bejesus!!! LOL......:cool:

The "hybrid" explanation begins at about the 2 minutes mark.......one of movies best scenes........"It's a little harsh....here......Cannonball it.......":D

Reaction Score
Miacomet is the one I see on the discount websites. Didn't know they had 2 open to the public.

I also see Miacomet....how is that course? Would be an interesting road trip!!

Reaction Score
Miacomet is the one I see on the discount websites. Didn't know they had 2 open to the public.

They don't, just clarifying. Miacomet is a great course! My only suggestion is that you leave the driver in the bag and stick with a hybrid off of the tee if you don't hit the driver straight. If you get into the grass, its really hard to get out and maintain a decent score. If your there just to have some fun, then don't worry about it bcuz you will have a great time! The summer discount certainly is telling seeing as that typically doesn't happen with the traffic they see peak season. Clearly people have limited disposable income nowadays, so factoring in the ferry ride ads up. One recommendation I may have is waiting til mid/late fall to go out bcuz the temps are much more mild and make for a great round. Also, with the discounted rate you could grab a really reasonable room out there, spend the night and make a nice trip out of it. If you wake up and just take a taxi to the course, its much more relaxing rather than rushing to the ferry, and then to the course. Either way, you can't lose.

Reaction Score
I highly recommend the renovated Montauk Downs State Park -- an old RT Jones course that was recently restored to look like its original self. You can take the foot ferry from New London on Thursday or Friday night and make a weekend out of it.

Reaction Score
Mau & UC68 - if you guys are looking to golf out on the islands, take a look at Farm Neck on The Vineyard. REALLY nice course, with great views of the water on several holes. Clinton used to play it when he was vacationing out there. The members hated it when he showed bcuz he spent so much time on the course, and their access was restricted. For those of you who are familiar with the Clinton Administration, and you remember Vernon Jordan, I was paired up with him the last time I played Farm Neck. He was a great guy. Played with him and a Federal Judge up in Boston. Pretty funny, the judge was telling us abut how the fairways were lined with Secret Service in the tree line when the President was on the hole. When Pres Clinton would rifle his tee shots into the woods, which apparently happened often, the ball would "magically" pop out of the woods and into the fairway, or the rough. Sometimes I wish I had a Secret Service Detail on the golf course!!! Be prepared to spend at least 2 bills on that course during the summer. Fall rates are much more reasonable however

Reaction Score
Going on a tangent, what's the craziest animal you've encountered on a course?

For me it's the following-

Moose and beavers in Alaska.
Coyotes in San Diego.
A massive deer sprinting right at our cart in Carson City.
Alligators, moccasins and rattlers on most Florida courses.
But the worst was a flock of geese in Virginia Beach that I was certain they were going to kill me, do a massive air raid, or both. I chunked three straight shots in to a pond because I was so freaked.
I saw a bear run across the fairway on the West Point course, he was NOT running from my drive ;(

Was supposed to play Kinloch outside Richmond, VA last fall but played The Foundry instead. Too nice for my 90ish on regular course but 110+ on that thing skillset.

Reaction Score
Mau & UC68 - if you guys are looking to golf out on the islands, take a look at Farm Neck on The Vineyard. REALLY nice course, with great views of the water on several holes. Clinton used to play it when he was vacationing out there. The members hated it when he showed bcuz he spent so much time on the course, and their access was restricted. For those of you who are familiar with the Clinton Administration, and you remember Vernon Jordan, I was paired up with him the last time I played Farm Neck. He was a great guy. Played with him and a Federal Judge up in Boston. Pretty funny, the judge was telling us abut how the fairways were lined with Secret Service in the tree line when the President was on the hole. When Pres Clinton would rifle his tee shots into the woods, which apparently happened often, the ball would "magically" pop out of the woods and into the fairway, or the rough. Sometimes I wish I had a Secret Service Detail on the golf course!!! Be prepared to spend at least 2 bills on that course during the summer. Fall rates are much more reasonable however
Been to MV and saw a some groups with clubs walking on the ferry. That would be reasonable to do... Nantucket is just another story... thanks for the info!

Reaction Score

We forgot to mention Bushwood CC.........some of the best fairways with a Kentuck Blue Grass combined with Northern California Sensimilla........play 36 holes on it then take some home and get stoned to the bejesus!!! LOL......:cool:

The "hybrid" explanation begins at about the 2 minutes mark.......one of movies best scenes........"It's a little harsh....here......Cannonball it.......":D

Mau, I didn't list Bushwood as one of my best but I did get the pleasure of playing at Grande Oaks Country club last year, where they filmed Caddyshack. It was such a surreal experience, both exhilarating and somewhat haunting at the same time. I've wanted to play that course my whole life and put so much pressure on myself to play well that I played fairly crappy. Being lined with oak trees instead of palm trees, it feels more like you're playing a northern course. A very cool experience that I'll never forget.

Reaction Score
Royal County Down in Northern Ireland. Followed closely by old head, Ballybunion, Lahinch. Ireland golf trips are highly recommended
I like Royal Dublin the best. On an island in Dublin Bay accessible by a causeway. the wind is always whipping...front 9 is straight out, back nine is straight in, so you can be playing into the wind then with it at your back. Needed a driver on the 153 yard hole going into the wind, a wedge when it was going with the wind. I honestly didn't believe it could be that dramatic. It howls out there. You need to be able to play the bump and run to score, I discovered. If you try and fly it into the green you're over or, when it is really howling against you, it comes back and hits you in the head...

Reaction Score
I know it doesn't match up in any way with some of the great courses in the world, but I played a 9 holer in North haven Maine, an island off the cost. You get there by boat or ferry and there are only I think 4 per day. It was only nine holes, but every hole had spectacular views. It was in great shape, incredibly well maintained, and just kind of a cool place to play.

Reaction Score
Mau, I didn't list Bushwood as one of my best but I did get the pleasure of playing at Grande Oaks Country club last year, where they filmed Caddyshack. It was such a surreal experience, both exhilarating and somewhat haunting at the same time. I've wanted to play that course my whole life and put so much pressure on myself to play well that I played fairly crappy. Being lined with oak trees instead of palm trees, it feels more like you're playing a northern course. A very cool experience that I'll never forget.

Tell me more. Did you have lunch on the deck that Smails winged his club up into? Is the front the same where Al tells him "it's a parking lot, Wang!" I need to know these details.

Reaction Score
Deepster,

Sadly I have to report that other than the course, the place was completely renovated, which was pretty sad. I think the pro shop is actually the same so we have that going for us, which is nice. When they filmed the movie, it was a public golf course, which was chosen because it looked like a northern course. A local college, Nova Southeastern University bought it a while back, made it private and targets a very upscale clientele. My friend and I pretended we were very serious about memberships though, and were invited to play the course for $65 a pop.

There are many cool things I'll remember from that day, not the least of which was having my name on my locker. In Wang like fashion though I took a ton of pictures and short videos which I'm happy to share if you like. PM me if you want to see some.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom