OT- best golf course you've played | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT- best golf course you've played

Reaction Score
I doubt you'll get to play Troon...you need a letter of introduction form the club secretary, but you won't get one because he will be in his club in London and even if you can find him, he won't give you the necessary papers. At least that's how it worked a few years ago...I was told by the pro "You'll not be playing Troon, laddie..."
Your reputation must have preceded you. ;^)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yeah heard Ledges was a pretty good track too..........Outlook may get the nod..........but Belgrade is the definite!

Thanks

I played the Ledges back in 2010. Real good layout. Greens were fast as glass. You'll use every club in your bag.

Reaction Score
Heading to hilton head soon. Playing harbor town, any other recommendations? Also what were people's throughts on harbour town?

Reaction Score
Played Mohegan at Pautipaug Monday, it was in super shape. Played it earlier in the year and it was nice, very impressed with how far it came!!

Reaction Score
Played Mohegan at Pautipaug Monday, it was in super shape. Played it earlier in the year and it was nice, very impressed with how far it came!!

I remember just about every green there being at a bout a 15 degree slope from back to front. If you were above the hole it was a nearly certain three put if you missed the first. Is that still the case?

Reaction Score
Played Fox Hopyard with some very good company last Friday (we let Ray Allen's group play through:) ). Nice track -- not overwhelming. Some of the forced carries were a bit much for my dad, who at a very arthritic 71 doesn't hit it that far any more.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Been lucky several times to golf in Scotland...

Top Courses I've played...

Royal Dornoch - THE Best bar none -
Carnoustie - The toughest (Champ)
Loch Lomond - Lovingly set in a 350 year old Arboretum - stunning
Cruden Bay - Great Track
Crail - Classic
Machrie- On Islay, fantastic, and oh the Single Malts

I can't encourage you guys enough to play in Scotland at least once in your life. The golf is virtually all public and very affordable except a few mostly owned by investors. Book yourself and drive. Don't waste your money on the super expensive golf tours. Remember they do speak English, funny accent, but still English. Go in late May or June as you can play until 10pm or later especially in the North. A tip, the Scots eat dinner around 6. Play late afternoon and you'll have the courses to yourself. Castles and gardens early golf late makes for a great trip.

I went solo over to Scotland back in 96 to celebrate getting out from under a divorce. If I were to go back it would be August. You can still play late and Edinburgh is nuts with the Fringe Festival, Military Tattoo and other international festivals going on. Really a fun time.

Golf wasn't my #1 priority, but I did take my sticks and throw 'em in the boot. Played three of the St. Andrews courses (Eden, Strathnium, Old) and Loch Lomond. While the weather was fine for my week in Edinburgh, once I started north, things often got sketchy so I bagged a couple of rounds I was hoping for.

If it wasn't made clear watching numerous British Opens, it is almost a completely different game requiring creative shotmaking over target golf. And while the Old Course isn't necessarily a great challenge from a layout perspective, you will always remember playing the 17th and 18th because you'll never experience having to hit over a hotel or playing off gravel (17th) nor have a gallery of several dozen people surrounding the green (and politely applauding good shots) while walking the same little stone bridge as Arnie and Jack (18rh).

For someone going to Scotland with golf as your highest priority, just make sure you have good rain/wind gear. Including pants.

As an aside, I didn't book any rounds in advance. I just showed up. The round at the Old Course came about as I was sitting in a Turkish restaurant in St. Andrews and overheard a group from South Carolina on a tour complaining about the tour operator losing their bags. One of them decided not to play, so after talking with them for a bit they asked me what I was doing at 7:15am the following morning. It was about $60 back then, plus $20 for the caddie (who made my round - guy was a classic wry Scots comedian).

Reaction Score
...while walking the same little stone bridge as Arnie and Jack (18rh).
A friend played there many years ago, and as his caddy told him... "you are walking across the same bridge that all of great golfers in the world have done". That put his round into perspective.

Reaction Score
I remember just about every green there being at a bout a 15 degree slope from back to front. If you were above the hole it was a nearly certain three put if you missed the first. Is that still the case?

Yeah pretty true still with a few new holes which are interesting.......this is a nice test of your game now!

Reaction Score
Heading to hilton head soon. Playing harbor town, any other recommendations? Also what were people's throughts on harbour town?
Harbourtown was worth the extra $. There is a Robert Trent Jones course that is pretty good. Played Palmetto Hall Plantation and the bag guy told me JC was there the day before and tipped the guys $100 to take care of his son and friends who were playing latter that day.Overall Myrtle Beach has a lot more to offer, not as classy as Hilton Head but better golf and topless joints.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Don't play golf that much, but when I was 10 I played the Captains Course on Cape Cod. My dad let me drive the golf cart and I drove it into a tree right in front of the clubhouse. Good times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom