OT - Best Fried Seafood in CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Best Fried Seafood in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Love Lobster Landing. As for Bills... I realize this may be unpopular, but I've never been overly impressed. I'd even call the fried seafood... Bland. Nice setting though.

I am not a huge fan of Bills fried offerings. I make an exception for the times my wife and I get the Platter for 2 (which is only like 4 bucks more than the platter for one but double the food) and go to town.
Otherwise if Im at Bills its for the two aforementioned things: Lobster Roll. Soft shell Crab sandwich.

Reaction Score
Clam Castle in Madison is my wife's favorite, also love me some Stowe's in West Haven.

Edit: I prefer the cafeteria tray joints by the way for fried seafood.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Stowe's - West Haven beach area. Its a drive- up spot with a small outdoor dining area. They pretty much defeated an. The food is pretty good and portions are good/ very good. The $5 clam Strip roll is a steal.

USS Chowder Pot- Branford. Large dine in with Bar and bands. Fried menu and steaks, etc. Good/Very good portions.

Jimmies of Savin Rock- still pretty good. Dine- in.

In recent years I've been driving down to City Island where's theres a bunch of places.

Reaction Score
You guys are KILLING me! No lobster rolls in SoCal! I found a couple of places that serve whole bellies out here but they are not very good and obviously can't be very fresh. When I return for visits to CT it becomes all about real pizza, whole bellies and real Italian pastries. I must be due for a visit, I'm sitting here drooling!!!

Reaction Score
BTW, best whole bellies I ever had was in Ipswich MA, I think its called the Clam Box?????

August_West

Reaction Score
You guys are KILLING me! No lobster rolls in SoCal! I found a couple of places that serve whole bellies out here but they are not very good and obviously can't be very fresh. When I return for visits to CT it becomes all about real pizza, whole bellies and real Italian pastries. I must be due for a visit, I'm sitting here drooling!!!

Fax me some fish tacos from wahoos in Laguna beach. I'll send back some whole bellies.

Reaction Score
Fish Tale. Madison/Westbrook/New Haven. King of the region for good reason.
Clam Castle Madison
Johnny Ad's - Saybrook

For Gluttony the Seafood Platter at Bills Seafood

oh man, nailed all of them. I'll add one more:

Chaplin's on Bank St in New London. Lived across the street for several years, and every single meal is phenomenal. Such a special place to my wife and I that I proposed to her sitting at their bar w/ the help of Jack and the rest of the staff.

Seafood for days, Steak for days. Give it a shot. And stay late-night. Jack usually pops out from behind the kitchen to buy tequila shots for anyone still there when they are closing down.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/chaplins-and-friends-bistro-new-london

Reaction Score
Stowe's - West Haven beach area. Its a drive- up spot with a small outdoor dining area. They pretty much defeated an. The food is pretty good and portions are good/ very good. The $5 clam Strip roll is a steal.

USS Chowder Pot- Branford. Large dine in with Bar and bands. Fried menu and steaks, etc. Good/Very good portions.

Jimmies of Savin Rock- still pretty good. Dine- in.

In recent years I've been driving down to City Island where's theres a bunch of places.
Good call! Love me some City Island. You got a fav down there?

I hit either of the end of the strip spots when slumming. As for more 'sit down' I like Sammie's and a couple others. Don't know there names just know where they are on the strip.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Good call! Love me some City Island. You got a fav down there?

I hit either of the end of the strip spots when slumming. As for more 'sit down' I like Sammie's and a couple others. Don't know there names just know where they are on the strip.
Sammies all the time. Love it. There used to be a Mexican seafood spot across from Sammies I went to also. I think USS Chowder Pot in Branford and Sammies are pretty much the same place.

Reaction Score
You guys are KILLING me! No lobster rolls in SoCal! I found a couple of places that serve whole bellies out here but they are not very good and obviously can't be very fresh. !

Connie and Ted's and the Blue Plate in Santa Monica both stack up. My parents are dyed in the wool New Englanders and love both spots.

Reaction Score
Cant be any worse than S. FL.

Reaction Score
I get the sense when August isn't on the toilet he spends every other waking hour eating, I just hope he doesn't eat on the toilet.

Reaction Score
Fish tale. I like New Haven also. Bellies. Mmm

Seven seas in Milford is also good.

Not a fan of Jimmies.

When I want a lobster roll I usually hit Glenwood in Hamden up near my mom's house.

Reaction Score
Connie and Ted's and the Blue Plate in Santa Monica both stack up. My parents are dyed in the wool New Englanders and love both spots.
I've been to the Blue Plate. They are better than no whole bellies but not like REAL New England whole bellies! If you go without the real ones long enough, you forget what the real deal is like. I have been lucky enough to have been back to CT once or twice per year for the last 25 years I have lived out here!

Reaction Score
I've been to the Blue Plate. They are better than no whole bellies but not like REAL New England whole bellies! If you go without the real ones long enough, you forget what the real deal is like. I have been lucky enough to have been back to CT once or twice per year for the last 25 years I have lived out here!

Eh, my parents spend half the year on the cape. For me, a lobster roll from Connie and Ted's is as good or better than any you can find in New England. Matter of taste I guess.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
As someone mentioned in the hot dog thread the hot dog guy at the outside counter was incredible. I loved watching him cut up groups of hotdogs and shift them on the hot plate, load them on the buns, add up the order and take money. He was the Seph Curry of hot dog vending.

We used to say he had your change before you finished your order.

Reaction Score
I love Clam Castle. I think it is the name and the Clam logo as much as the food. Good lobster rolls too.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Hot Dog guy at Jimmie's was nicknamed 'The Machine' but no one in my crowd had the b*alls to let him hear it. He had your dogs and change on the counter before your money was in the register, called out your fries or whatever order and if you did not move fast enough he let you know it.

Yes! Actually, we called him Mr. Machine

Reaction Score
I love seafood (along with every other food known to man) but I have a major problem with lobster rolls. I guess I just have a problem paying $25 dollars for something that comes on a hotdog roll and doesn't even come close to filling me up.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
David's Place in Montville has some of the best clam fritters I've ever tasted.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Eh, my parents spend half the year on the cape. For me, a lobster roll from Connie and Ted's is as good or better than any you can find in New England. Matter of taste I guess.
I made a similar complaint in the burger thread a few years ago and @BigErnMcCracken turned me on to Connie and Teds. The first time I went I got the Rhode Island clam chowder and whole belly fried clams and it was like being transported back to Sailor Eds in Mystic when I was a kid. I haven't been to Blue Point, but I can only tell you Connie and Teds is excellent. It sucks we have to pay $24 for whole belly clams that would cost about 10 or 12 in Connecticut, but at least you get the real deal.

In terms of fresh - they fly stuff in daily. It's very fresh. Even though the Rhode Island chowda is good, their New England is just about the best I've ever had. The whole belly fried clams are like being on The Cape. Plan to spend a good bit, but if you want NE quality clams and soup, they do deliver. I haven't tried the lobster roll, but the steamers are also very good, if not a bit too large. I prefer smaller/sweeter, but they are still like being transported to New England.

August_West

Reaction Score
I made a similar complaint in the burger thread a few years ago and @BigErnMcCracken turned me on to Connie and Teds. The first time I went I got the Rhode Island clam chowder and whole belly fried clams and it was like being transported back to Sailor Eds in Mystic when I was a kid. I haven't been to Blue Point, but I can only tell you Connie and Teds is excellent. It sucks we have to pay $24 for whole belly clams that would cost about 10 or 12 in Connecticut, but at least you get the real deal.

In terms of fresh - they fly stuff in daily. It's very fresh. Even though the Rhode Island chowda is good, their New England is just about the best I've ever had. The whole belly fried clams are like being on The Cape. Plan to spend a good bit, but if you want NE quality clams and soup, they do deliver. I haven't tried the lobster roll, but the steamers are also very good, if not a bit too large. I prefer smaller/sweeter, but they are still like being transported to New England.
We are paying 20 plus for whole bellies here too right now

August_West

Reaction Score
I love seafood (along with every other food known to man) but I have a major problem with lobster rolls. I guess I just have a problem paying $25 dollars for something that comes on a hotdog roll and doesn't even come close to filling me up.
16 is about going rate . The trick is finding the places that put 5 oz on instead of 2.5 at that price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom