OT - Best Fried Seafood in CT | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT - Best Fried Seafood in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Knew a guy who stopped eating fried food and switched to baked/broil only. 5 years later at the grocery store there was a spill in one of the aisles, and he slipped on it and cracked his head open and died.

The culprit . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Wesson oil.
Tough break!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Also enjoyed food from Supreme Seafood in North Branford and Westland in Westport, to add another 2 names to the list.
Supreme seafood is somewhat of a hidden gem. Most people don't even realize it's there and even if they do they aren't stopping to get seafood in that strip mall
@Hans Sprungfeld and @methodology , I need to run an errand in North Branford today so I'm going to hit Supreme Seafood for lunch. Never heard of it until this thread. What's your go-to there? Anything to avoid? Thanks.

Reaction Score
Did anyone mention the Chowder Pot in Branford? Not cheap but good whole bellies when you can get them. Regarding lobster rolls. I love them but I always want 2 or something else with it. They just aren't enough to make a meal.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
@Hans Sprungfeld and @methodology , I need to run an errand in North Branford today so I'm going to hit Supreme Seafood for lunch. Never heard of it until this thread. What's your go-to there? Anything to avoid? Thanks.
No go-to determined. Actually, perhaps you'll tell me.

The first time I had strips because of Lady Hans, and supplemented w/scallops which were good enough to say, "Hey, this place is OK."

Round 2 I rushed out on the expiration day of a Groupon and got some giant combo to see what I liked best. I wasn't even hungry AND it traveled horribly from North Branford to Westville. THAT scenario was a must to avoid, dumbest thing I even did with a Groupon.

Third time I got whole bellies side order, and ate there. That or nearby picnic would be best. I wonder if it would hold up (while eating along the way) to East Rock Dunno.

To a point made elsewhere, unless the fries are notably good, I go w/side orders my first time, and get a side of cole slaw as recon.

Curious to hear your report.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

The first time I had strips because of Lady Hans, and supplemented w/scallops which were good enough to say, "Hey, this place is OK."

Round 2 I rushed out on the expiration day of a Groupon and got some giant combo to see what I liked best. I wasn't even hungry AND it traveled horribly from North Branford to Westville. THAT scenario was a must to avoid, dumbest thing I even did with a Groupon.

Third time I got whole bellies side order, and ate there. That or nearby picnic would be best. I wonder if it would hold up (while eating along the way) to East Rock Dunno.

To a point made elsewhere, unless the fries are notably good, I go w/side orders my first time, and get a side of cole slaw as recon.

Nothing travels worse than fried seafood and french fries. The foam containers trap the steam and drench the food.

Reaction Score
Tough break!
No tougher from the 20 year, 2 pack per day lady who finally stopped smoking. Two years later she died in a car accident after being hit by a Phillip Morris company van.

Cigs killed her anyway. (its an old stfu line I always used when I once smoked and didn't want to be told to quit)

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Youngest daughter (the foodie) and I agreed that the lobster roll was good but not as good as Lobster Landing. Good, sweet meat, but too much butter, a little watery, and not as much care taken (small piece of tail shell in my half). We both gave it a B. Cost $3 more than LL too, which really reinforces the value of Lobster Landing for me.

But the fried scallops were excellent. Great scallops, fried to a light golden brown, perfectly crisp, sweet, juicy and fresh. We both thought they rated a solid A. Saw their wholesaler pulling in while we were wrapping up and noticed that he was getting his stuff from Stonington Dock, which would explain the quality of the scallops.

Solid place. I'd definitely go back for the fried scallops and would try other fried offerings (although I read online that some think they have too heavy of a touch with their whole bellies). Thanks for the rec.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
No tougher from the 20 year, 2 pack per day lady who finally stopped smoking. Two years later she died in a car accident after being hit by a Phillip Morris company van.

Cigs killed her anyway. (its an old stfu line I always used when I once smoked and didn't want to be told to quit)
Or the morbidly obese guy who wanted to kill himself but didn't want to his family to lose his life insurance. So he decided to give himself a heart attack by running to death. So he ran until he collapsed. But didn't die. Tried again. Nothing. Pretty soon he got into running, lost a ton a weight. felt much better. Then got hit by a bus.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
My favorite order of clams last summer came from Sea Swirl in Mystic.

Also enjoyed food from Supreme Seafood in North Branford and Westland in Westport, to add another 2 names to the list.

Supreme on rte. 80?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
BTW
CANNOT stand tartar sauce. Most vile thing ever created.
My fried seafood is accompanied by cocktail sauce.
Sorry August but horseradish is wonderful enough to overcome the ketchup!

Reaction Score
BTW
CANNOT stand tartar sauce. Most vile thing ever created.
My fried seafood is accompanied by cocktail sauce.

Can't stand cocktail sauce. Most vile thing ever created.
The combination of the two words alone make me want to gag.

My fried seafood is accompanied by cocktail tarter sauce.

Reaction Score
I am clearly in the minority I guess, although there only seems to be a dozen or so of you doing all the posting in this thread, but while there are a few seafood items that I find to be delicious when fried, I can't help but feel like alternate preparations of some of the other items are superior IMO. Feels to me like a good way to ruin some decent seafood is to drench it in batter and fry it. Also I can't get behind whole belly clams, that sandy snot texture and flavor that @August_West so aptly described repulses me. Also I'm New England born and raised FWIW.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am clearly in the minority I guess, although there only seems to be a dozen or so of you doing all the posting in this thread, but while there are a few seafood items that I find to be delicious when fried, I can't help but feel like alternate preparations of some of the other items are superior IMO. Feels to me like a good way to ruin some decent seafood is to drench it in batter and fry it. Also I can't get behind whole belly clams, that sandy snot texture and flavor that @August_West so aptly described repulses me. Also I'm New England born and raised FWIW.
Well now that you and @Paesano have replied I shall never touch the stuff again.

If you believe this than you probably believe the snot picker when he promised to never pick his snot again!

Snot that what I or anyone says really matters.
Which is why I'm sure this advice to Paesono will be ignored. Type A personality is also detrimental to one's health and a whole lot less fun than eating fried whole belly clams once in a while. But seriously I did appreciate your recommendation.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I know plenty of new englanders who can't stomach whole bellies. It's just one of those things, you love them or are disgusted by them. No in between on those.

Reaction Score
I know plenty of new englanders who can't stomach whole bellies. It's just one of those things, you love them or are disgusted by them. No in between on those.
Are those the things you just swallow? If so what's the point and how do you taste them?

Perhaps I've eaten them wrong and never returned them to my plate.

Reaction Score

Usually I only really like fried shrimp and clam strips. Oysters I need raw, scallops trends to get rubbery when fried to me, prefer them pan seared (of raw in sushi).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
scallops trends to get rubbery when fried to me, prefer them pan seared (of raw in sushi).
Scallops are my favorite seafood and I love them prepared all ways as long as they are great, fresh scallops--which, again, we are spoiled with in CT--and the person preparing them knows what s/he is doing. Great fried scallops are not remotely rubbery. They should melt in your mouth, like the ones I had today. When I ordered at Supreme I asked the guy to help me choose between the fried scallops and the Calamari Supreme, which I read some raves about online. He told me that his scallops were the best thing on the menu.

Reaction Score
Scallops are my favorite seafood and I love them prepared all ways as long as they are great, fresh scallops--which, again, we are spoiled with in CT--and the person preparing them knows what s/he is doing. Great fried scallops are not remotely rubbery. They should melt in your mouth, like the ones I had today. When I ordered at Supreme I asked the guy to help me choose between the fried scallops and the Calamari Supreme, which I read some raves about online. He told me that his scallops were the best thing on the menu.

I've had some good fried ones no doubt, but I find that in general they are more likely to be overcooked when fried than when pan seared. Of course if you have a good spot that makes them well fried enjoy! I enjoyed fried scallops too! But they gotta be done right.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sea scallops not bay scallops.
They are skate wings. Big to do a few years back fish market punching out meat from skate wings and selling as scallops.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Sea scallops not bay scallops.
Agree, except for the couple months that bay scallops are in season from Nantucket Bay. If you see those locally (Cafe Routier does a great job with them) when they are fresh (around November through February), they are tremendous. Very sweet and melt-in-your-mouth texture.

Otherwise, sea scallops from Stonington Dock or Georges Bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom