OT - Best Fried Seafood in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Best Fried Seafood in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I could easily have eaten five or six of those lobster rolls, and after eating one it was a matter of feeling deprived vs. enjoying the one I ate so the money was plunked on hot dogs.
That's always the case with lobster rolls (well, maybe not five or six, but at least a few). That's why I love having the excellent sausage and peppers at Lobster Landing as a follow-up. My youngest daughter (the only one who likes lobster, thank God) and I are usually the ones eating there, and our standard order is a lobster roll each, and one sausage and peppers to split. Perfect.

As for the fried seafood of choice, for me it's scallops 90% of the time. Fried fish sandwich the other 10%. Not big on the clams, and I save the fried shrimp and fried oysters for my semi-annual New Orleans trips.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's always the case with lobster rolls (well, maybe not five or six, but at least a few). That's why I love having the excellent sausage and peppers at Lobster Landing as a follow-up. My youngest daughter (the only one who likes lobster, thank God) and I are usually the ones eating there, and our standard order is a lobster roll each, and one sausage and peppers to split. Perfect.
You're a better man than I was a teenager Gunga Din!
Yeah I would order the lobster roll and 3 or 4 dogs (my parents and heavy friend hated me) but eating the dogs as fillers just didn't do it. And I loved the dogs. I finally settled on eating 3 0r 4 dogs and finishing it with the lobster roll but ultimately I gave up the roll. Just too much pain in knowing what I couldn't have.
So how are the Lobster Landing lobster rolls prepared? I can't eat four or five of them but am salivating at the prospect of eating two of them if they come close to those Jimmy rolls.

Reaction Score
Anyone know if they will ever rebuild the Dock & Dine in Old Saybrook? There are places with better food but that was a sublime place to sit and enjoy dinner.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I just love the carousel at Fish Tale. Re-enacting the buffalo scene from Dancing with Wolves is really fun. If only people didn't keep yelling for me to get off. Ruins my moment. F'em.

2 months til soft shell crabs!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I just love the carousel at Fish Tale. Re-enacting the buffalo scene from Dancing with Wolves is really fun. If only people didn't keep yelling for me to get off. Ruins my moment. F'em.

2 months til soft shell crabs!

Love soft shell crab. That's the other thing Bills excels at. I love bringing land lubbers there and the seeing the look on their face when a crab on a hamburger bun with its legs sticking out the sides makes its appearance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So how are the Lobster Landing lobster rolls prepared? I can't eat four or five of them but am salivating at the prospect of eating two of them if they come close to those Jimmy rolls.
It's the Goldilocks of lobster rolls; not too big, not too small--just right. Perfectly-sized pieces of lobster, just the right amount of butter, a second on the grill for the bun.

lobster-landing.jpg

Reaction Score
If you're in the area, City Fish Market in Wethersfield has a great takeout. Nowhere to sit really, but I've never been disappointed. And you don't get much fresher outside of the shoreline.

Reaction Score
Whole Bellies, right OP?

I want some whole Bellies right now.

Is there any other kind?

Sadly most places seem to lack the knack for making them where they're not greasier than all get out.

This was the case last time I was at fish tales unfortunately.

Reaction Score
how's that lobster truck on Rt 1 in Milford?

Reaction Score
Shouldn't this seafood thread be merged with the 'Calamari is the worst' thread?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Shouldn't this seafood thread be merged with the 'Calamari is the worst' thread?
It's bad enough staring at august's avatar. Don't ruin my appetite even remotely with this suggestion.

Reaction Score
It's bad enough staring at august's avatar. Don't ruin my appetite even remotely with this suggestion.

Bright side: at least Boehiem wasn't picking his rear end.

[edit: although I'm sure he does]

Reaction Score
It's the Goldilocks of lobster rolls; not too big, not too small--just right. Perfectly-sized pieces of lobster, just the right amount of butter, a second on the grill for the bun.

lobster-landing.jpg

He catches his own lobsters also. Doesn't buy from distributors. Great lobster roll and price

Reaction Score
Fish Tale. Madison/Westbrook/New Haven. King of the region for good reason.
Clam Castle Madison
Johnny Ad's - Saybrook

For Gluttony the Seafood Platter at Bills Seafood

The westbrook and Madison are different because it's different owners no affiliation other than the Madison location bought the rights to use the name. My fiancee is very good friends with the daughter of the owners of the Madison location

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He catches his own lobsters also. Doesn't buy from distributors. Great lobster roll and price
Yep. He is the distributor. He apparently owns tons of traps up and down the shoreline and supplies most of the restaurants in the area. Owns a house in Italy, one here, and one in Florida iirc. The guys at Meadow Meat in Middletown (who supply the excellent sausage for his sausage and peppers) told me that he's a millionaire many times over. And the best part is that you would never, ever know it from his appearance. He is always so kind and gracious to us, especially our youngest daughter. He's got a twinkle in his eye and you just know he's got it all figured out. He loves life. Great man.

PPN-01-TW090414-02.jpg

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you're in the area, City Fish Market in Wethersfield has a great takeout. Nowhere to sit really, but I've never been disappointed. And you don't get much fresher outside of the shoreline.

Actually, they have a good-sized room where you can sit down and eat. It's simple and clean with a couple of TV's. And they sell beer and wine. The problem is that you have to be out of there by 6pm.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Actually, they have a good-sized room where you can sit down and eat. It's simple and clean with a couple of TV's. And they sell beer and wine. The problem is that you have to be out of there by 6pm.
Yep, just walk up the stairs next to the tanks and counter.

for a different take on fried seafood, HB Seafood on NB Ave. in Elmwood is excellent.

Reaction Score
Grew up a mile from it. Sneaky good seafood place if you want to get it locally.

Saybrook Fish House (Rocky Hill but also on the Silas Deane Hwy) makes a pretty good hot lobster roll too.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Love Lobster Landing. As for Bills... I realize this may be unpopular, but I've never been overly impressed. I'd even call the fried seafood... Bland. Nice setting though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Love Lobster Landing. As for Bills... I realize this may be unpopular, but I've never been overly impressed. I'd even call the fried seafood... Bland. Nice setting though.
I don't disagree with you about Bill's. The setting is the best thing about it imo. I've had some good meals there, and the prices are decent, but mostly it's been adequate and not much more.

A lesser-known gem in the area is Edd's Place in Westbrook. Nice casual setting overlooking the river, BYOB, lots of fresh seafood, very good lobster roll and bisque, fish tacos, surprisingly good pulled pork, and excellent nightly specials, frequently including German food. Desserts are also top notch according to the family; I'm not a big dessert guy.

Reaction Score
Those were the days. Savin Rock, withJimmies and Phyllis's restaurants. People had loyalty to one or the other. Jimmies was king of the hot dogs for me bar none!! As someone mentioned in the hot dog thread the hot dog guy at the outside counter was incredible. I loved watching him cut up groups of hotdogs and shift them on the hot plate, load them on the buns, add up the order and take money. He was the Seph Curry of hot dog vending.

I was a lousy eater growing up. My two exotic foods initially were chow mien and hot dogs. That started to change and I developed a taste for fried whole belly clams. Ended up liking Phyllis's clams better but the family preferred Jimmy's so we rarely ate at Phyllis's.

Speaking of chow mien can the foodies on this site direct me to a good Chinese restaurant in CT.

Hot Dog guy at Jimmie's was nicknamed 'The Machine' but no one in my crowd had the b*alls to let him hear it. He had your dogs and change on the counter before your money was in the register, called out your fries or whatever order and if you did not move fast enough he let you know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom