OT Avelo Air/Tweed New Haven Airport | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Avelo Air/Tweed New Haven Airport

Reaction Score
I’m spoiled here in Stamford. I am 18 minutes away from Westchester County Airport and it usually takes me about three minutes to walk from my car to TSA security. Now that Breeze is flying out of there to LAX, SFO, Vegas, NOLA, Charleston, Norfolk, Jacksonville, and Savannah… I have even less reason to fly out of LaGuardia or JFK.
Breeze just canceled a few of those routes FYI

Reaction Score
Pretty good on the whole. I'd not want to take a long flight with Avelo, but it's a good airline for the destinations it serves. My only complaint is that my return flights have often been delayed for nebulous reasons.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Pretty good on the whole. I'd not want to take a long flight with Avelo, but it's a good airline for the destinations it serves. My only complaint is that my return flights have often been delayed for nebulous reasons.

They do not have any long flights from Connecticut, so you’re good there.

Any flight leaving Florida is ripe for a delay.

Reaction Score
They do not have any long flights from Connecticut, so you’re good there.

Any flight leaving Florida is ripe for a delay.
Everything is to an East coast state, with the exception of Tennessee I think.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any experience flying Avelo - good, bad, or indifferent? What about flying in/out of Tweed? I decided to fly to Chicago Midway via Avelo this trip as non-stop and convenient from Trumbull.
My wife and I just did that flight. Couldn’t have been easier. The train line goes right to Midway too so you can be in downtown 20 min after landing.

Also it was my first time in Chicago and was crazy impressed, amazing city!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Folks have the experience at Tweed covered. Flying back from Orlando on Avelo during spring break time… words can’t convey what a disaster folks flying Spirit were going through. The stress level at the Avelo check in counter was zero… that was huge.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My wife and I just did that flight. Couldn’t have been easier. The train line goes right to Midway too so you can be in downtown 20 min after landing.

Also it was my first time in Chicago and was crazy impressed, amazing city!
We are heading there in October for the first time. What were some of the favorite things you did and ate?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Folks have the experience at Tweed covered. Flying back from Orlando on Avelo during spring break time… words can’t convey what a disaster folks flying Spirit were going through. The stress level at the Avelo check in counter was zero… that was huge.
I’m flying Spirit to Orlando in October - the prices w/ Avelo skyrocketed to over $400. Either way I will be delayed.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What is the best way to get to JFK these days? Don't want to drive. Not sure what is left of CT Limousine.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Avelo flies to several to several cities in FL

I grew up in East Haven (Staven) and Tweed was a prime bicycling stop as a kid, so the return to flying there was extra cool.

Most of the airport is in East Haven.

Reaction Score
It's hard to beat flying out of Tweed. I've flown out of there on Avelo a bunch of times recently, a few warnings worth keeping in mind:
1. These planes have no plugs, no wifi, no snacks, no drinks. The passengers on the plane are not quite Spirit or Frontier level bad because it's Tweed, but in terms of amenities Avelo is pretty much dead last amongst any airline I've flown on.
2. If you choose a seat and pay for bags, the cost is similar to other economy tickets on major airlines.
3. Checking a bag can be rough, particularly on the return trip. Avelo doesn't have much of a presence in other airports, and very limited staff. Check-in can be a challenge if you need to check a bag...

All that said, it's a miracle to have 13+ non-stop routes running out of Tweed, and it is insanely convenient if you're prepared for the above.

Reaction Score
Avelo flies to several to several cities in FL

I grew up in East Haven (Staven) and Tweed was a prime bicycling stop as a kid, so the return to flying there was extra cool.

Most of the airport is in East Haven.
Grew up in Foxon went to deer run

Reaction Score
I’m flying Spirit to Orlando in October - the prices w/ Avelo skyrocketed to over $400. Either way I will be delayed.
Not a fan of Spirit. A few years back I had a seat that had no padding. The metal bar from the seat was right in my back. The woman who sat next to me couldn't believe it and gave me a sweatshirt to try to make it a little bit more comfortable. They ultimately gave me like $100 credit for a future flight, but I never even bothered to use it because flying on spirit was such a miserable experience.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's hard to beat flying out of Tweed. I've flown out of there on Avelo a bunch of times recently, a few warnings worth keeping in mind:
1. These planes have no plugs, no wifi, no snacks, no drinks. The passengers on the plane are not quite Spirit or Frontier level bad because it's Tweed, but in terms of amenities Avelo is pretty much dead last amongst any airline I've flown on.
2. If you choose a seat and pay for bags, the cost is similar to other economy tickets on major airlines.
3. Checking a bag can be rough, particularly on the return trip. Avelo doesn't have much of a presence in other airports, and very limited staff. Check-in can be a challenge if you need to check a bag...

All that said, it's a miracle to have 13+ non-stop routes running out of Tweed, and it is insanely convenient if you're prepared for the above.
Haven’t tried Avelo yet, but it’s on my list. Even if the airfare is the same, and the (short) flight is uncomfortable, I would think the time and cost savings, as well as the comfort, of flying out of New Haven would make it worth it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
What is the best way to get to JFK these days? Don't want to drive. Not sure what is left of CT Limousine.
I believe CT Limo has suspended shuttle service and just has private car service now, like Hy's Limo. They are a little less expensive than Hy's, but still not cheap. We will using CT Limo's car service for the first time tomorrow, to go to LGA, because I didn't want to drive. We'll see how it goes. I recently tried to price them for an upcoming trip out of JFK and they said they had no service available for the time I requested, so we are probably going to go with Hy's.

The other option for JFK is Shoreline East>Metro North>Subway>AirTrain. I am going to check that next week for our trip and see if the timing works.

For LGA, we would have to take Metro North to 125th Street and then take the M60 bus to LGA. I have done that before for solo trips, but Mrs. 8893 was not too keen on that plan, hence the car service tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Everything is to an East coast state, with the exception of Tennessee I think.
East of Mississippi short flights all <3 hours. PT and MT zone Avelo flights, similar with a Burbank base and mostly low volume regional airport destinations. Suspect some CT-based UConn fans may choose Avelo for upcoming NC State and FIU gridiron games.

Reaction Score
I believe CT Limo has suspended shuttle service and just has private car service now, like Hy's Limo. They are a little less expensive than Hy's, but still not cheap. We will using CT Limo's car service for the first time tomorrow, to go to LGA, because I didn't want to drive. We'll see how it goes. I recently tried to price them for an upcoming trip out of JFK and they said they had no service available for the time I requested, so we are probably going to go with Hy's.

The other option for JFK is Shoreline East>Metro North>Subway>AirTrain. I am going to check that next week for our trip and see if the timing works.

For LGA, we would have to take Metro North to 125th Street and then take the M60 bus to LGA. I have done that before for solo trips, but Mrs. 8893 was not too keen on that plan, hence the car service tomorrow.
None of them are reasonable nowadays, even Uber can be $200+ from lower FFLD county to JFK. The train/subway options are good as long as you don't have a lot of luggage, can be a real challenge hauling big bags up and down stairs and platforms, especially with little ones in tow.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Thanks 8893. Let me know what you learn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom