OT Avelo Air/Tweed New Haven Airport | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Avelo Air/Tweed New Haven Airport

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'm a self described travel snob. It was a solid travel experience. However, it wasn't that much cheaper than a mainline airline however it was very convenient. HVN to RDU.

Reaction Score
That has to be a change. Don’t see how it can be prevented. It’s a private car. If true, maybe from some spots a cab is still less than the parking fees.
I used Uber. short runway, so some landings can be tricky. parking expensive, driving through neighborhoods to get there. Terrible terminal, 3rd world like. If in mid Ct. Bradley WAY better. Breeze Airways to Fla now from Bradley cheap.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
One good one bad. Tweed is easy enough with the one gate and being completely dedicated to Avelo. Other airports are poorly staffed and struggle to even have a gate

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Flew to Tampa and back via Avelo/Tweed. Would use them again n a heartbeat. Tweed is sinfully easy and painless to fly out of/in to.

Reaction Score
Is there a shuttle for parking garage $10 a day, at the new Haven train station to Tweed?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I used Uber. short runway, so some landings can be tricky. parking expensive, driving through neighborhoods to get there. Terrible terminal, 3rd world like. If in mid Ct. Bradley WAY better. Breeze Airways to Fla now from Bradley cheap.
Who cares. Tweed isn't good for many routes, but for some now it’s very good. And when thats true can be very convenient. And yeah, the terminal isnt big time, but I’ll take the security lines any time over any other airport in or near CT. I can live without an airport full of merchandise and forever walks to a gate.

Reaction Score
I don’t believe you can currently arrange an Uber or Lyft pickup at Tweed. Gotta use the local taxi service.
We used Lyft at Tweed when we flew Avello and it was very good

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any experience flying Avelo - good, bad, or indifferent? What about flying in/out of Tweed? I decided to fly to Chicago Midway via Avelo this trip as non-stop and convenient from Trumbull.
Flown twice this summer. Easy in and out. Easy flight. Bright kids second time to Orlando, and it was simple.

They just nickel and dime you and there is no Drink on the plane. The seats are packed together. It is massively convenient. Parking is cheap.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Will pay extra for everything, even carry ons

They just nickel and dime you and there is no Drink on the plane.
Couple pointers on the upcharges:

You pay extra to pick your own seats; otherwise they can assign you randomly. We didn't care because the flights are so short, so we didn't pay the upcharge. Whaddya know, they "randomly" sat the three of us together on both flights. In other words, don't bother paying for seat selection.

Also, when they first started, they were charging $5 more per carry on bag than they were for checked bags. You still get a "personal item," i.e., purse or messenger bag, so imo it was a no-brainer to opt for the checked bag, which is up to 50 pounds, versus the much smaller carry-on limits. I gather many others figured the same, because they recently changed it to the same price for carry-on and checked bags, but imo the same logic still holds. We pay for one checked bag each way, and for short stays two or three of us can easily make do between sharing the the 50 pounds, and then each having one personal item.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Who cares. Tweed isn't good for many routes, but for some now it’s very good. And when thats true can be very convenient. And yeah, the terminal isnt big time, but I’ll take the security lines any time over any other airport in or near CT. I can live without an airport full of merchandise and forever walks to a gate.
@jibsey 's strong dislike of all things New Haven is well-documented.

Don't even get him started on apizza.

Reaction Score
Couple pointers on the upcharges:

You pay extra to pick your own seats; otherwise they can assign you randomly. We didn't care because the flights are so short, so we didn't pay the upcharge. Whaddya know, they "randomly" sat the three of us together on both flights. In other words, don't bother paying for seat selection.

Also, when they first started, they were charging $5 more per carry on bag than they were for checked bags. You still get a "personal item," i.e., purse or messenger bag, so imo it was a no-brainer to opt for the checked bag, which is up to 50 pounds, versus the much smaller carry-on limits. I gather many others figured the same, because they recently changed it to the same price for carry-on and checked bags, but imo the same logic still holds. We pay for one checked bag each way, and for short stays two or three of us can easily make do between sharing the the 50 pounds, and then each having one personal item.
Also in the beginning they wouldn’t allow infants in the lap and you had to pay full price and get another seat. They have changed that so lap infants fly free of charge

Reaction Score
@jibsey 's strong dislike of all things New Haven is well-documented.

Don't even get him started on apizza.
My brother lives in Woodbridge, I like Sally’s actually but not burnt Pepe’s. But I parked my car at my brothers and used Lyft to go both ways about 25 minutes on a 10 day trip so I saved a bit and visited him. New Haven has great restaurants though. A new Pepe’s is popping up around every corner these days, I don’t get it but they have name recognition. This ain’t the pie thread right?

Reaction Score
My brother lives in Woodbridge, I like Sally’s actually but not burnt Pepe’s. But I parked my car at my brothers and used Lyft to go both ways about 25 minutes on a 10 day trip so I saved a bit and visited him. New Haven has great restaurants though. A new Pepe’s is popping up around every corner these days, I don’t get it but they have name recognition. This ain’t the pie thread right?
Every pie is the pie thread. It's just a matter of when its brought up, not if.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Not that the airport can get any bigger but feels like Tweed is becoming less of a hidden secret. Used to fly out of there for business trips before Avelo and it is amazing - so quick and painless. Even then when they only had connections it was worth it. Direct flights now? Sign me up.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The airport was green- lighted for expansion. Commercial terminal might be abandoned and built new in East Haven. New runway layout. Hari Krishna's unleashed. Fun times.

Reaction Score
Once you start adding baggage fees, etc it isn't much cheaper. It is very easy in and out.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Woodbridge is pretty, but no easy way to Tweed; that would explain your “driving through neighborhoods“ comment. I am only 15-20 minutes away, most of which is highway. I’ve never priced taking Lyft vs. paying for parking because I wasn’t shocked by the parking prices. But I will compare next time.

I am surprised that you find Pepe’s less “burnt” than Sally’s. My experience is the opposite (and I prefer Sally’s, because I love their oily char).

Reaction Score
I’m spoiled here in Stamford. I am 18 minutes away from Westchester County Airport and it usually takes me about three minutes to walk from my car to TSA security. Now that Breeze is flying out of there to LAX, SFO, Vegas, NOLA, Charleston, Norfolk, Jacksonville, and Savannah… I have even less reason to fly out of LaGuardia or JFK.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What does your brother charge for parking?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom