OT Avelo Air/Tweed New Haven Airport | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT Avelo Air/Tweed New Haven Airport

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks 8893. Let me know what you learn.
I confirmed that the shuttle is canceled because not enough people were using it to support it once it returned after Covid service.

Their private car service was excellent.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Just flew Avelo to NC. Once again a good experience.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

And here's what no one mentioned about the huge hassle that is (primarily) LaGuardia. If you're flight (outbound or inbound) gets canceled or delayed, or you miss it, chances are there's another flight that will get you to your destination (or home or close) without a ridiculous delay. I once got hung up in a security line in Fort Lauderdale, missed my flight, and was on another flight that ended up landing at LGA a few minutes before my original flight. Another time a flight was canceled, they sent me to HPN, and paid me more than enough compensation to take a 30 minute Uber to LGA to get my car. You get a cancelation or serious delay out of New Haven, good luck. Will also add I don't mind Bradley if I'm flying to a well-served destination, especially if it's a longer trip, love the $6 a day parking (I'm out of Norwalk)

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I just booked Avelo to Sarasota, 12/22 to 12/29. Wasn't as cheap as I had hoped but I also paid extras for leg room and it is the holiday season. $522.00 round trip but I'm hoping the convenience of New Haven over Laguardia or Newark during Christmas time makes up for it.

Reaction Score
I just booked Avelo to Sarasota, 12/22 to 12/29. Wasn't as cheap as I had hoped but I also paid extras for leg room and it is the holiday season. $522.00 round trip but I'm hoping the convenience of New Haven over Laguardia or Newark during Christmas time makes up for it.
You need to make sure you're using the Avelo discount codes for sure, which is the only airline I'm aware of where that's the case. But even if you do, once you account for choosing a reasonable seat and bags the cost is similar to JetBlue. No different from other value airlines. It's cheap if you sit in the middle seat in row 31 and can put all your belongings in a backpack. Otherwise it's about the same.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I didn't know about the Avelo discount codes. Breeze just announced HPN to Sarasota starting next month which could be a game changer.

Reaction Score
I didn't know about the Avelo discount codes. Breeze just announced HPN to Sarasota starting next month which could be a game changer.
they are right on the website but if you don’t put them in when searching for flights they don’t show these rates.
946D6F01-E6EA-478C-AD9D-D97D65D5221B.jpeg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You need to make sure you're using the Avelo discount codes for sure, which is the only airline I'm aware of where that's the case. But even if you do, once you account for choosing a reasonable seat and bags the cost is similar to JetBlue. No different from other value airlines. It's cheap if you sit in the middle seat in row 31 and can put all your belongings in a backpack. Otherwise it's about the same.
Have you tried not choosing your seat? That's what we did and it still sat us together. It's not just "middle seat in row 31"; I had an aisle seat both ways on a recent trip. The only thing we pay for is one checked bag, which costs $40 and can be up to 50 pounds.

Wayyyy cheaper than not only other airlines, but also other modes of transportation. The trip we just canceled to Chicago was going to cost $277 RT all-in for two of us, including the checked bag. The trip we took to Baltimore cost $300 RT all-in for three of us, including the checked bag.

Reaction Score
Have you tried not choosing your seat? That's what we did and it still sat us together. It's not just "middle seat in row 31"; I had an aisle seat both ways on a recent trip. The only thing we pay for is one checked bag, which costs $40 and can be up to 50 pounds.

Wayyyy cheaper than not only other airlines, but also other modes of transportation. The trip we just canceled to Chicago was going to cost $277 RT all-in for two of us, including the checked bag. The trip we took to Baltimore cost $300 RT all-in for three of us, including the checked bag.
To be fair, I haven't. But with 3 kids under 7, I am pretty particular about where I will or won't sit on the plane, so I don't like to take my chances.

On the relative pricing, every time I've flown Avelo it was HVN-MCO, and I was comparing to BDL-MCO on JetBlue, which is a pretty competitively priced flight to begin with because it's very competitive with a lot of carriers offering it. It's still cheaper to go Avelo, but not that much. And if you factor in the lack of wifi/drinks/snacks and the leg room of the average seat you're basically just saving $30 for a worse experience. I still prefer Avelo though because I'm home in 12 minutes instead of 60 though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Such a deal!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Everything about Avelo and Tweed is second rate, not ready for prime time. Not worth the trouble and by the time you're done with the add-ons, I don't think you are saving much, if anything

Reaction Score
Everything about Avelo and Tweed is second rate, not ready for prime time. Not worth the trouble and by the time you're done with the add-ons, I don't think you are saving much, if anything
I can get to tweed in 10 minutes and arrive 20 minutes before my flight. Direct to Florida. It’s a no thrills flight. Simple extremely convenient and very cost efficient

Reaction Score
Breeze Hartford better
Flew breeze to LAX from HPN paid for “1st class” but no meal and that hadn’t installed Wifi yet on the plane. Was $1600 round trip for 2 tickets. Only pain in the ass was breeze’s terminal at LAX gotta take a shuttle and go up and down stairs. I would fly them again but now I know what to expect if I’m using them to to go to LAX

New haven is much more convenient than Hartford for going to Florida. But breeze is a good alternative for to use if you’re in that area. I would recommend them

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I can get to tweed in 10 minutes and arrive 20 minutes before my flight. Direct to Florida. It’s a no thrills flight. Simple extremely convenient and very cost efficient
If you are a loner with no bags and don't mind a middle seat maybe. Otherwise, get there at least 1.5 hours in advance. I found the cost saving to be a mirage even before factoring in lost time. And godforbid anything goes wrong because they aren't equpped to fix anything in a timely manner. Checking a bag took forever on both legs of my journey. They actually started loading bags for the next flight before they took all the bags off of my flight; that took almost an hour to clear up. Tweed sucks. They can't handle the traffic if flights get backed up, as they do in the winter. The corrective action for that was one guy out in the road swearing at everybody. No baby changing staions in arrivals. It's 2022 for crying out loud. The cafe had a good almond croissant.

Reaction Score
If you are a loner with no bags and don't mind a middle seat maybe. Otherwise, get there at least 1.5 hours in advance. I found the cost saving to be a mirage even before factoring in lost time. And godforbid anything goes wrong because they aren't equpped to fix anything in a timely manner. Checking a bag took forever on both legs of my journey. They actually started loading bags for the next flight before they took all the bags off of my flight; that took almost an hour to clear up. Tweed sucks. They can't handle the traffic if flights get backed up, as they do in the winter. The corrective action for that was one guy out in the road swearing at everybody. No baby changing staions in arrivals. It's 2022 for crying out loud. The cafe had a good almond croissant.
Guess you haven’t flown out of small airports. HPN (Westchester) although slightly better isn’t much different. I’ve flown avelo 5 times never had the issues you described. Tweed is expanding but seems you expect 5 star hotel accommodation

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Guess you haven’t flown out of small airports. HPN (Westchester) although slightly better isn’t much different. I’ve flown avelo 5 times never had the issues you described. Tweed is expanding but seems you expect 5 star hotel accommodation
I have simple tastes and only expect a minimum level of service. Which Tweed and Avelo failed to provide. One thing Tweed fans don't mention is the way the plane has to slam on the brakes when it hits the runway. Upon decent, the flight attendants go to all those holding babies telling them for hold tight on the landing. For all those not holding babies I suggest the brace position. For real.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Never flown out of Tweed but have flown out of some really small airports with limited airline service.

No one should expect top level amenities at the airport. Just not enough throughput to justify costs of operating at small airport. Plenty of times the person who checked me in or checked my luggage appeared later on as the gate agent.

Limited number of flights and limited number of spare aircraft means any hiccup is going to affect you. There just isn't capacity to plug and play another airplane in to the schedule.

I wouldn't ever use Avelo or Tweed if I was flying to somewhere where timing is criitical. Cruises, business meetings, weddings, etc. Savings aren't worth the hassle of missing something at destination.

I wouldn't pack anything critical in checked luggage (really shouldn't do this with any airline). 2 days of clothing plus all essential medicines, toiletries and electronics. should be carry on.

Leisure travel where you have some wiggle room is where these airport/airline combos shine. Just be eyes wide open with what you are getting yourself in to with them.

Reaction Score
I have simple tastes and only expect a minimum level of service. Which Tweed and Avelo failed to provide. One thing Tweed fans don't mention is the way the plane has to slam on the brakes when it hits the runway. Upon decent, the flight attendants go to all those holding babies telling them for hold tight on the landing. For all those not holding babies I suggest the brace position. For real.
Lol it’s a short runway that’s why. That’s why there are plans for expansion

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom