Options available for the PAC-12 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Options available for the PAC-12

Reaction Score
Any school in any conference outside of the B1G and SEC that signs a GOR right now is stupid! They are only signed out of an act of desperation.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Any school in any conference outside of the B1G and SEC that signs a GOR right now is stupid! They are only signed out of an act of desperation.

So if a school could get out of the ACC by refusing to sign a GOR and it would end up in the Sun Belt, you think that would be the right move? Interesting.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
The PAC12 is in the same spot the Old Big East was after the initial raid. They can secure their future with a very great media deal right now, but it would take every school agreeing to it for the long term--and that is not going to happen when a few of them have their eyes on a potentially larger prize. This is early 2000's Big East all over again...and we all know how that ended.
What people forget is that ESPN really low-balled the Big East with its offer. Either they thought the BE would accept it or it would be a catalyst to destroy the conference.

Reaction Score
If Washington & Oregon are stuck in the Pac-12; they'll be the conference shell with the power in the battle between the Pac-12 & Big XII.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
The fans of the 48 teams would watch, and that’s probably like 80% of the total college football fans who currently watch the sport.

The reason the NFL hasn’t developed a minor league is because there would be 0 brand power for those clubs and it wouldn’t work. But colleges, especially traditional football schools, have massive and powerful brands people want to watch.

UConn football sucks but (some) people still show up or watch on TV. Why? It’s certainly not the product. It’s the brand.

Multiply the power of the UConn brand x100 and you’ll understand why a super league with all the best college brands will work.

P.S. Only 1 “Cinderella” this century has had a chance to compete for a National Title and they got throttled in the semi-finals… Cinderellas don’t exist in college football.
I think you assumptions about viewership and its predictability in the face of the massive change you suggest are optimistic, even naive.

Ironic that you talk about "traditional" football schools, wherein lies one flaw in your model. While brand certainly makes a difference, the product is also essential; the entertainment product of traditional college football is different from the NFL (individual team performance aside); it's what draws a lot of fan interest- a lot more than you may be accounting for. The 'brand' power you tout will essentially be a sham, because those brands will have been removed from the context that made them what they are. That will negatively impact the fan base.

I watch college ball because it's different from the NFL. Also I don't watch UConn solely because of the brand- I watch because they still have a chance to play and compete at the highest level. If they were in some Ivy-type of competition structure I wouldn't watch. If the current state of things devolves to what you describe, regardless of which side of the ledger UConn winds up on, I won't watch that either.

While many may not take as strong a position as I do, I think the potential erosion in viewership is high, as is a decline in revenue; inclusion of more schools and regions is a good thing. There is a tipping point at which cutting out competitors will hurt the bottom line.

P.S.- You must be under 30 because you refer to "this century" like its 2097. It's only 2022. A Cinderella every 10-11 years is just about right- that's what makes them a cinderella. Who cares if they got creamed in the semis? They got there, which means they could get there again, and maybe go further the next time. It gives fans hope, which engenders interest, and makes the sport FUN to watch.

I could be wrong- heck pro wrestling has a big following, and that's even more ersatz nonsense that you "Super League". But I'll beleive it when I see it.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I think you assumptions about viewership and its predictability in the face of the massive change you suggest are optimistic, even naive.

Ironic that you talk about "traditional" football schools, wherein lies one flaw in your model. While brand certainly makes a difference, the product is also essential; the entertainment product of traditional college football is different from the NFL (individual team performance aside); it's what draws a lot of fan interest- a lot more than you may be accounting for. The 'brand' power you tout will essentially be a sham, because those brands will have been removed from the context that made them what they are. That will negatively impact the fan base.

I watch college ball because it's different from the NFL. Also I don't watch UConn solely because of the brand- I watch because they still have a chance to play and compete at the highest level. If they were in some Ivy-type of competition structure I wouldn't watch. If the current state of things devolves to what you describe, regardless of which side of the ledger UConn winds up on, I won't watch that either.

While many may not take as strong a position as I do, I think the potential erosion in viewership is high, as is a decline in revenue; inclusion of more schools and regions is a good thing. There is a tipping point at which cutting out competitors will hurt the bottom line.

P.S.- You must be under 30 because you refer to "this century" like its 2097. It's only 2022. A Cinderella every 10-11 years is just about right- that's what makes them a cinderella. Who cares if they got creamed in the semis? They got there, which means they could get there again, and maybe go further the next time. It gives fans hope, which engenders interest, and makes the sport FUN to watch.

I could be wrong- heck pro wrestling has a big following, and that's even more ersatz nonsense that you "Super League". But I'll beleive it when I see it.
lol to the bolded part. That’s very overly optimistic of you too….

But I am 30 but old enough to remember the good Boise State and TCU years, but I don’t recall them ever having an opportunity to play for a national championship. Cinderella doesn’t exist in football, and Cindy’s pounding all but assured another non-power school will ever get a seat at the CFP under the current model (or where it’s headed)

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
lol to the bolded part. That’s very overly optimistic of you too….

But I am 30 but old enough to remember the good Boise State and TCU years, but I don’t recall them ever having an opportunity to play for a national championship. Cinderella doesn’t exist in football, and Cindy’s pounding all but assured another non-power school will ever get a seat at the CFP under the current model (or where it’s headed)

It's difficult to predict the future, irrespective of your pronouncements. One thing is certain- big upheavals lead to big consequences, good and bad- I'm of the belief (based solely on experience and intuition I admit) that the end result for a "Superconference" and its members will be a net negative for them (including revenue) over the long haul. We'll see.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

I think this is dumb but if it results in the Pac-12 getting more than the $30 million they are looking at, they'll take it.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

Great article. Great quote in there showing how the Pac-12 at least thinks they are worth more than the Big 12 (at least that is what they are saying publicly).

“This is all about money,” says one Pac-12 official. “The SEC has got the most of it and the Big Ten has the second most of it and the ACC is stuck in a less-than-optimal deal. And the Pac-10 - we have to start calling it the Pac-10 now - is figuring out what our new TV deal looks like, and the Big 12, it appears, is after us.”

Reaction Score
If Washington & Oregon are stuck in the Pac-12; they'll be the conference shell with the power in the battle between the Pac-12 & Big XII.

I don’t see UW and UO getting stuck in the PAC-12 because a West Coast division will be needed to make the USC/UCLA expansion work. UW, UO, Cal, and Stanford are the leading candidates for a 6-team West Coast division.

In Penn State, Maryland, and Rutgers, the B1G already has the core for an East Coast division with plenty of candidates to fill out the other 3 spots.

Reaction Score
Reports from an Oregon based source (Portland Sports Talk Host):
Former Fox Sports Network president Bob Thompson told me last week that he estimated the Pac-12’s next media rights contract would command $500 million a year before the defection. With the Los Angeles’ television market gone, Thompson says the Pac-12’s media value is reduced to $300 million a year.
That's 30M a year with Oregon & Washington included.

Source: Canzano: Oregon Ducks make a wish list, while Pac-12 rallies behind scenes

Reaction Score

Since these are the 2 conferences that contain the targets of the SEC & B1G it makes sense for them to align now.

That way when the P2 pick off the schools they want there will already be a structure in place for the leftover schools to move forward.

Reaction Score
Hawaii would be great for the PAC-12. Governor just signed to build a $400m stadium.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Question for everyone: although unlikely to happen, would you accept a Pac-12 invitation for all sports if the corner four schools left and the other six remained?

Reaction Score
Only if there were East and West divisions.
Exactly. There are some very good academic schools in the PAC-12 that are our peers, and it would make perfect sense to be in a conference with them. While there is a huge cultural difference between PAC-12 schools and many B12 schools, this isn't the case with PAC-12 and many ACC schools. If ACC implodes, ACC leftovers and PAC-12 leftovers should form a new nationwide conference with East and West coast divisions. Hopefully, we are included in this new league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom