Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

>>UConn spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz released a statement saying, “UConn released the documents in direct response to a Freedom of Information request by Mr. Ollie’s own attorneys. Other parties, including the media, also requested and received these same documents as required by Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) in Connecticut. The FOIA, which governs public agencies such as the University, does not permit the selective release of public records to certain parties while denying those same records to others.” <<
Good research.
#ChiefCertified

Reaction Score
Did someone say UConn is morally reprehensible? I didn't read that from anyone. I think most are saying that, if indeed this backfires on Ollie and it's proven that he lied here, then it will backfire badly on UConn. In which case, UConn will have to take some of the blame for letting it get to this.

I haven't read anything about UConn taking a reprehensible moral stance.

What Uconn did to KO was morally reprehensible. You don't use an ethics charge you don't actually care about to break a contract. That's just rank hypocrisy. You either care about ethics or you don't. There is no "Ethics only become important when there is $10 million at stake" rule.

And it's refreshing to see the board once again consider the NCAA to be a trustworthy organization. I assume there will be no discussion of UNC or Louisville on this thread.

Reaction Score
I would argue his strategy and effort to date is crude and misguided and not in the interest of KO having any meaningful career post mess.

What this tells me is that his legal nightmare team knows deep down they struck out on the ten million arbitration avenue and now they are suing for libel and possibly racial discrimination - both Hail Mary passes with time running out.

For Libel, as others have said, he is a public figure, and his own FOI set the chain of events in motion that released the damaging information. It was not in the school’s or NCAA charges. So it was not doing him harm until the clown show, which is his legal team, rolled the snowball down the hill.

Not to be outdone they have started rolling another snowball with this latest FOIA off a cliff. I don’t know for sure but it’s not unlikely that buried somewhere in piles of paper is some extremely damaging information about his personal conduct, that has not been made public yet. This will be a show stopper for many types of employment.
Having said that-2 pieces have to be considered. If they can discredit GM in one area-it is easy to use that since the NCAA relied heavily on his deposition. Also, who is the yet to be named 3rd party? Until this plays out....everything is up in the air. I am certain AD would have also included GM in the interview process to get additional info. Wonder who told them about the call orchestrated by KO. I have to consider this along with the other facts/allegations.

Reaction Score
What Uconn did to KO was morally reprehensible. You don't use an ethics charge you don't actually care about to break a contract. That's just rank hypocrisy. You either care about ethics or you don't. There is no "Ethics only become important when there is $10 million at stake" rule.

And it's refreshing to see the board once again consider the NCAA to be a trustworthy organization. I assume there will be no discussion of UNC or Louisville on this thread.
The naivety in this post is breathtaking. Welcome to the real world, guy.

Reaction Score

Are you 5 years old?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are constantly moving the goalposts.

It was a 3 year scholarship reduction. Not a one year. Big difference. Not to mention the recruiting restrictions. Look at my previous post. Read again. Oh, don't bother: here it is:

Just wait and see, the paying to go to a trainer isn't nearly as serious as those determinations.

All I said originally is that Ollie's actions are no worse than things that happened at UConn before. I didn't even mention Tom Moore in those original posts. You're the one that asked me to be specific. And specifically, Calhoun was found to allow a booster/agent to participate in recruitment, and make prohibited financial contributions. You can't deny that. Specifically as well, Tom Moore openly admitted that his behavior was probably illegal, and that he knew Nochimson's contact with Miles was as his agent. He admitted these things.

But you won't acknowledge what are quotes in black and white, which makes you less than honest here.
Yeah agree to disagree. A former manager who was a wanna be agent < coach paying for illegal travel, illegal lodging, illegal meals to attend illegal travel, with and an illegal coach... and lying about it to UConn and the NCAA.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

There you go, Upstater..."morally reprehensible" in print on the BY.

Reaction Score
Yeah agree to disagree. A former manager who was a wanna be agent < coach paying for illegal travel, illegal lodging, illegal meals to attend illegal travel, with and an illegal coach... and lying about it to UConn and the NCAA.

We'll see in the end. I'm betting the penalties will be lower. Ollie was doing it to help kids get better. If he was giving them money, that's another story. If this $30k thing is true, it blows everything else out of the water, which is my original point in the first place.

Now you know why I didn't want to bring up Calhoun, the penalties, etc.

Reaction Score
There you go, Upstater..."morally reprehensible" in print on the BY.

Yes, but... since we're using legalese... ex-post facto. Until that post... heheh.

I can't disagree with his logic however, though I also agree with superjohn's point in this case.

This is what happens in the real world. Ethically though it is dubious.

In whatever line of work you're in, you see people do things that are dubious.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
DiMauro is apparently prepared to defend his homeboy Miller to his death. He does have a point, though. Ollie's credibility is less than zero at present.​

Reaction Score
I'm going to add here that Glen Miller's testimony was totally weird. He first says, "No, not that I'm aware of, and then he says, well, wait a minute, there was the time that..."

I mean, that is just bizarre. This is not a minor thing. If your wife heard Ollie did this, it would stick in your mind. You'd be like, WTF!?!?! Unless it is a totally normal thing to do in Miller's experience. Why in the world did he offer it as an afterthought. "No, Ollie never.... but, wait a minute, my wife heard..."

That's just bizarre.

I would think that if my wife relayed something like that to me, if I were an ass't coach, it would stick in my frontal lobe like a hard marshmallow.

"Did Ollie ever use money to recruit players...."

"Well, my wife was speaking to a player's mom who said...."

Now that sounds more straightforward.

Reaction Score
DiMauro is apparently prepared to defend his homeboy Miller to his death. He does have a point, though. Ollie's credibility is less than zero at present.​

I'll tell you what--his reporting isn't that great, about the timing of the Chillious news and this new lawsuit.

If anything, I thought that the FBI case might explain why Stephanie Garrett is involved in this at all.

It might also be news to DiMauro that even his coaching heroes have relationships with these sneaker guys (i.e. which is different than saying they were getting paid).

Reaction Score
I'm going to add here that Glen Miller's testimony was totally weird. He first says, "No, not that I'm aware of, and then he says, well, wait a minute, there was the time that..."

I mean, that is just bizarre. This is not a minor thing. If your wife heard Ollie did this, it would stick in your mind. You'd be like, WTF!?!?! Unless it is a totally normal thing to do in Miller's experience. Why in the world did he offer it as an afterthought. "No, Ollie never.... but, wait a minute, my wife heard..."

That's just bizarre.

I would think that if my wife relayed something like that to me, if I were an ass't coach, it would stick in my frontal lobe like a hard marshmallow.

Idk I do the same thing sometimes. If he waited like 30 seconds then it'd be a different story. It's hard to know in a transcript

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Idk I do the same thing sometimes. If he waited like 30 seconds then it'd be a different story. It's hard to know in a transcript

Yeah, when you're being questioned by "the authorities", which in this instance is the NCAA, it would be disconcerting for some folks, even if you've been granted "limited immunity", whatever the heck that means in NCAAspeak. These folks can ruin your whole livelihood and chosen career with the stroke of a pen.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Yes, but... since we're using legalese... ex-post facto. Until that post... heheh.

I can't disagree with his logic however, though I also agree with superjohn's point in this case.

This is what happens in the real world. Ethically though it is dubious.

In whatever line of work you're in, you see people do things that are dubious.

Quite a few of the Ollie apologists alluded to it in the past, even if they didn't phrase it exactly in those words.

It's the only justification for claiming Ollie is entitled to be paid any portion or all of the buyout. If UCONN really offered him $2.5 mil to go away, that's $2.5 mil more than they're legally obligated to pay him. Whether or not anybody thinks that's morally or ethically wrong or objectionable is up to them, based upon their own values.

C

Chief00

That's just bizarre.

Miller is not a smart guy.

Reaction Score
As you all know, Chief isn’t a fan of GM. Having said that if you are going to make a big case about it, you don’t hire some attorney from New London to take you to the promise land. No offense to anyone from New London but you just don’t do it - you go uptown. KO, what are you thinking?

MP&P is based in Hartford with a New London office. The firm is annually recognized as one of the top employment law firms in CT.

Reaction Score
Question for the legal folks here. do You suspect this is a contingent fee case or is Ollie paying his attorneys? If it’s contingent the attorneys might be more desperate than Ollie with all the time they’ve spent on this.
They likely let KO choose between a contingent fee or an hourly rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom