Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Ollie Suing Glen Miller for Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They likely let KO choose between a contingent fee or an hourly rate.
My guess is unlikely to take such a case on contingency alone. Not a high likelihood of winning. This whole thing is crazy tho

Reaction Score
Yeah tell that to KO who broke the black and white print in a contract he freely signed and still feels entitled to the full amount. Or do ethics only go one way in your universe?

Tu quoque is a logical fallacy. You can't defend UConn's behavior by pointing at KO. This board manifestly does not care about anything KO is charged with other than using it as an instrument to save $10 million. This is nothing but self-interest pretending to be moral principle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The naivety in this post is breathtaking. Welcome to the real world, guy.

My daughter was once fired for making a mandatory report. It was all perfectly legal. There were lawyers to make sure it was done legally even though firing someone for making a mandatory report is illegal. The lawyer she consulted told her that she would be fired after she made her report. Yes, bad things happen in the real world and people get away with it.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't call wrong behavior by it its name.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Also, who is the yet to be named 3rd party?
Please let it be someone with the last name "Miller." We need another Miller.

OK, I can be reasonable. "Garrett" or "Ollie" could work in a pinch.

Or merge with the Sean Miller thread.

C

Chief00

MP&P is based in Hartford with a New London office. The firm is annually recognized as one of the top employment law firms in CT.
This is their high profile case and thus far it’s been a train-wreck for their client. I leave open the possibility or likelihood that their client has either lied or been in such denial that he has materially misled them, but at this point the firm needs to calculate that into their approach.

Now if KO wins the $10M, I will see the method to their madness. But, anything under $2.5 million, in my opinion, they have done more public relations harm to his earning potential than good. Perhaps the firm has stepped into a profession (college coaching) that they don’t understand well? This isn’t the typical state union employee collective bargaining case, that they can toil in relative obscurity about.

Chief is also not differentiating between this firm and KO’s union legal representative. I am looking at the outcome product as one coordinated effort. If that’s not an accurate description, then that’s part of the outcome problem.

At any rate, time will tell, who has the correct assessment. Knowing what Chief knows, Chief can see a scenario that this situation can get much worse for KO, going down the current FOIA path.

Last edited by a moderator:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tu quoque is a logical fallacy. You can't defend UConn's behavior by pointing at KO. This board manifestly does not care about anything KO is charged with other than using it as an instrument to save $10 million. This is nothing but self-interest pretending to be moral principle.

Exactly. Those who actually admit this are refreshing.

While his program was bad, it was remarkably clean if Miller’s lies on the cash aren’t true.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Those who actually admit this are refreshing.

While his program was bad, it was remarkably clean if Miller’s lies on the cash aren’t true.
You guys are the epitome of obtuse. What part of HE STOPPED DOING HIS JOB do you guys not understand? He doesn't deserve a dime for that reason alone. He was paid how much for doing nothing the last three years? He is far from having the moral high ground here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You guys are the epitome of obtuse. What part of HE STOPPED DOING HIS JOB do you guys not understand? He doesn't deserve a dime for that reason alone. He was paid how much for doing nothing the last three years? He is far from having the moral high ground here.

thats not how it works boss. who said he had the moral high ground.

have an a smidge of integrity and admit you want to hang him on techicality because you don’t like the results.

it’s not that hard.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How come JC doesn't receive any heat for foisting this loser on the program?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

have an a smidge of integrity and admit you want to hang him on techicality because you don’t like the results.

it’s not that hard.
If KO never broke the terms he gets the full amount and UConn has no case. Contracts don’t work where you can just overlook terms that were agreed to by both parties because they are ticky tacky. If he’s careful he’s rich. And if it was too hard to follow then shame on his lawyers for allowing clauses that could lead to his termination.

KO opened the door and UConn took the opportunity KO gave them.

That all said - while I think UConn had every right to take the path they did (and I’m glad KO is gone)... actions have consequences and this train wreck is just another in a long line of disastrous choices by our AD.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If KO never broke the terms he gets the full amount and UConn has no case. Contracts don’t work where you can just overlook terms that were agreed to by both parties because they are ticky tacky. If he’s careful he’s rich. And if it was too hard to follow then shame on his lawyers for allowing clauses that could lead to his termination.

KO opened the door and UConn took the opportunity KO gave them.

That all said - while I think UConn had every right to take the path they did (and I’m glad KO is gone)... actions have consequences and this train wreck is just another in a long line of disastrous choices by our AD.

All true. I’m fine with all of that if people are homest and admit that the violations are ticky tacky when you consider the reality of the sport.

Reaction Score

it’s not that hard.
He's already hung & buried in a hole he made himself, we'd simply like him to stay there. Or move on.

Why is public opinion so important to YOU? No one on this board is changing either side's legal strategies at this point. Public opinion doesn't matter in a court of law. Time for settlement has long passed. Even IF public opinion changed AND UConn got pressure to settle, they should not at this point because from a PR standpoint settling would be a damaging admission of wrongdoing. So UConn's best & only strategy is to fight in court.

And keep in mind IF public opinion ever does sway towards Ollie's side there is quite a bit of mud that UConn could sling. Thus far only Ollie's side has shown no regard for reputation of itself and the school in terms of its strategy.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
miller.jpg

C

Chief00

And keep in mind IF public opinion ever does sway towards Ollie's side there is quite a bit of mud that UConn could sling. Thus far only Ollie's side has shown no regard for reputation of itself and the school in terms of its strategy.

What I fail to see at least as an external observer, based on their filings, any calculation of client risk to KO’s Nightmare Team’s approach. By even stretch community standards, there’s a lot there one would want to keep out of the public domain - or so I would think for any possible future employability.

Reaction Score
Whether or not he deserves the money this makes us look small. Why would a P5 conference want us If we can't make a bad coach go away? This doesn't look good for KO but it could have more long term damage to the University.

Reaction Score
I'm going to add here that Glen Miller's testimony was totally weird. He first says, "No, not that I'm aware of, and then he says, well, wait a minute, there was the time that..."

I mean, that is just bizarre. This is not a minor thing. If your wife heard Ollie did this, it would stick in your mind. You'd be like, WTF!?!?! Unless it is a totally normal thing to do in Miller's experience. Why in the world did he offer it as an afterthought. "No, Ollie never.... but, wait a minute, my wife heard..."

That's just bizarre.

I would think that if my wife relayed something like that to me, if I were an ass't coach, it would stick in my frontal lobe like a hard marshmallow.

"Did Ollie ever use money to recruit players...."

"Well, my wife was speaking to a player's mom who said...."

Now that sounds more straightforward.
2 comments...
Have you ever been deposed? People get nervous...very nervous and don't always recall things in order

I could also argue your version if very rehearsed and planned

IMO You really can't read anything into how he answered this ?

Reaction Score
2 comments...
Have you ever been deposed? People get nervous...very nervous and don't always recall things in order

I could also argue your version if very rehearsed and planned

IMO You really can't read anything into how he answered this ?

That may be BUT...

Not buying it.

This is the NCAA.

The #1 thing on your mind, that everyone knows, is that they are interested in whether or not you pay players.

This is not some throw away question. It's the one question everyone knows is coming.

Here's an analogy: You have a girlfriend. Your friends throw a bachelor party in Vegas for your best friend. Some of your friends have girlfriends and wives. Some of your friends do some things that sometimes happen in Vegas.

When you get home, you know you are ready for your girlfriend's question: did anyone mess around?

If you say something like, "No, I have no knowledge of anything like that ever happening...." and then after a few seconds, you say, "But wait a minute, John did say he saw Tom go into a room with 3 hookers, and it did sound like they were having sex, but I have no direct knowledge of that...."

Well, you're going to sound less than credible.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm beginning to tire of this, although if Miller told lies then there are consequences

But I think the accusation by Miller is "Ollie told me he paid $ 30k to a recruit's mom". Kinda hard to disprove that never happened

I didn't think this could get any weirder, yet it does. What's next? Jim Calhoun told Miller to lie?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What Uconn did to KO was morally reprehensible. You don't use an ethics charge you don't actually care about to break a contract. That's just rank hypocrisy. You either care about ethics or you don't. There is no "Ethics only become important when there is $10 million at stake" rule.

And it's refreshing to see the board once again consider the NCAA to be a trustworthy organization. I assume there will be no discussion of UNC or Louisville on this thread.
No Ollie's cheating was morally reprehensible. UConn reporting it, as it is obligated to do, is perfectly appropriate. Somehow you are arguing that ethics are only must be followed "if you care about them." That's the kind of moral slippery slope that inevitably gets people into trouble.

Here's a great example, Kevin cheated, maybe he felt like other coaches must have been cheating because he was doing so poorly against them. Who knows he may well have been right (cough, cough Tremont cough) but that didn't make what he did appropriate. Once he cheated he then felt he had to lie to bosses. That was fine because the other coaches probably did that as well, right? Once he had lied to his bosses, he really had to lie the the NCAA. I'm sure he felt like he had no choice, in his view, because he couldn't admit to being both a cheat and liar. Now he is looking at a show cause order.

Of course he could have done the right thing, apologized and gone away quietly, but that would be admission that he's not the man we once thought he was. So instead honoring his agreement in his contract (and the CBA) which terminates upon, among other things, UConn's determination that he has violated NCAA or university policy, Kevin decided to get money to which he has no legal or moral right. When the University appropriately refused he, essentially, had a tantrum, threatening to get through extortion what he is not entitled to at law. Eventually this devolved into KO trying to smear a man that he once described as a "second father" whose support "meant everything to (Ollie)."

So here we are and this once "high character guy" is defined by his actions as a disloyal, cheater and liar. It is sad really. That is the problem with thinking that ethics is only important when you "care about it." Eventually, you care about nothing and accordingly are ethically bankrupt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin