Oklahoma vs Uconn | The Boneyard

Oklahoma vs Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
As long as Geno can recruit elite players, UConn will be competitive for National Championships and games against upper echelon teams will be Nationally Televised. Many teams want that opportunity. I would like to see Seton Hall get on UConn's schedule as they're an improving program and will soon pass Rutgers as the 2nd best program in the Northeast. Its a toss up between Syracuse and Seton Hall. Don't see Syracuse scheduling a Home/Away with UConn as long as Q is the coach.

Reaction Score
Cool - 4 years of Sherri!

upload_2016-1-7_17-32-39.png

Last edited:

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I look forward to playing OU again. I think one of the best games I ever attended was in the final 4 in Atlanta in 2002 against them. Taurasi went one on one with Stacey Dales & got her to foul out, that pretty much sealed the deal. With only only a couple of minutes left & their big out, it was over.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
j66kicker said:
OU is my alma mater, so I'm partial
u of Texas is mine, so I'm partial to loathing that school north of the Red River. ah well- at lease our disaster of a season did include a win in Dallas.

Reaction Score
u of Texas is mine, so I'm partial to loathing that school north of the Red River. ah well- at lease our disaster of a season did include a win in Dallas.
I was there, unfortunately. I'm doomed to hating orange: OSU, Texas and, later in life, Tennessee. And now... My daughter is a Clemson grad. So our bet on last week's national semifinal game was the loser had to put the other's logo and a school picture of the winner's choice as our FB headers for a month. Ugh.

upload_2016-1-7_19-4-9.png

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
is that 2016-2017 season or 2017-2018 (long time away)?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I recall a Sherri presser postgame in Hartford a few years ago after getting thumped by UConn.
She was pretty much in tears over a string of losses to UConn [never beat them] and especially upset
by the UConn players hustling like madmen late in the game when her players had figuratively headed to the bus.
I think there was a [temporary] halt to the series at that point.

I remember way back when Geno was looking at Stacy Hansmeyer at a Norman High practice where
Sherri was coach at the time. He said to her something about 'do you know how good you are'...in terms of teaching
and organizing. I do believe Geno had something to do with her getting the OU job...maybe a strong recommendation to the then AD?

Reaction Score
I remember way back when Geno was looking at Stacy Hansmeyer at a Norman High practice where
Sherri was coach at the time. He said to her something about 'do you know how good you are'...in terms of teaching
and organizing. I do believe Geno had something to do with her getting the OU job...maybe a strong recommendation to the then AD?
Correct. OU was just starting their WBB program and hired Sherri as their first coach

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and Courtney Paris was close to being a UConn player coming out of HS... UConn may have backed off :cool:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Correct. OU was just starting their WBB program and hired Sherri as their first coach

I don't believe that to be accurate. I believe that OU was looking to eliminate the basketball program when Sherri was hired, and that she was hired with a recommendation from Geno.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't believe that to be accurate. I believe that OU was looking to eliminate the basketball program when Sherri was hired, and that she was hired with a recommendation from Geno.

I checked the history of the OU program and WBB was started in the 1974-75 season. They attempted to eliminate the program in 1990 but due to public outcry the plan was stopped. Sherri Coale was eventually hired in 1996.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm glad the two programs was able to work out an agreement which allows resumption of the home and home series. OU is a respected and competitive program that will always give the huskies a good game. This will also give UConn recruiting targets in Oklahoma a chance to see the Huskies in person without a lot of travel expense.
While I did not go to OU, I did attend an institution of higher learning in the great state of Oklahoma.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
j66kicker said:
I was there, unfortunately. I'm doomed to hating orange: OSU, Texas and, later in life, Tennessee. And now... My daughter is a Clemson grad. So our bet on last week's national semifinal game was the loser had to put the other's logo and a school picture of the winner's choice as our FB headers for a month. Ugh.
yeah, Clemson has been y'all's bete noire the past two bowl games. All I can hang my hat on was the OU game and the W over Baylor. I empathize with your hatred of other things orange, but Austin, TX and UT will always have a special place in mi Corazon.

Reaction Score
I checked the history of the OU program and WBB was started in the 1974-75 season. They attempted to eliminate the program in 1990 but due to public outcry the plan was stopped. Sherri Coale was eventually hired in 1996.
You are right - I stand corrected. (Geez - I even went to school there, and you hate OU.) Anyway, according to Wiki, Sherri has increased average attendance form 65 (yes, 65 people per game) to 6500.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Sooners_women's_basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32