Ok, enough is enough! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ok, enough is enough!

Reaction Score
Houston is going to have to lose for us to get to #1, they just beat beat #2 Virginia. UConn should be #1 but it’s not going to happen.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It is also a matter of exposure for voters who don't do any homework or research. We got no love on Sportscenter tonight. But I am cool with not being number 1...for now.
Wrong network

Reactions: DCT

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Bama just lost to the Zags.

I’m afraid we won’t be #1 until Purdue loses. That’s just how it works. They have a great resume as well. Of course the computers favor us, but that’s not really what voters look at. Purdue is #1 and didn’t lose this week, so they will be #1 to start next week.
Agreed. Houston beat Virginia. The announcers said our boys will be #2 come Monday. Jay Bilas coined the phrase "eye test" when judging teams. Of course that was used during the selection for the dance.

Reaction Score
Patience. For 25 minutes of that game last night they looked nothing like a #1 team for the most part. Defense was solid throughout, that kept us on top. But the offense was sloppy the point position was not good and that will be an issue in tougher matchups.

One game at a time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've often said I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day.

If beating Butler, at Hinckle, by 22 in our conference opener is the end result of an ugly win,.... WOW!!!!!!

We've had our share of horror stories over the years in road games opening the conference schedule. I like what happened yesterday,..... a lot.

Reaction Score
Other than Sanogo and Clingan, the rest of the team did not play well OFFENSIVELY. The centers were 15 for 23 with 22 rebounds. All others were a combined 13 for 48 (27%). If even half the others played their normal games, that's a 35-40 point win.

Reaction Score
haslametrics lets you see predictions for home/away/neutral with any two teams.

They have UConn with roughly -10 at home, -7.5 neutral, and -4.5 away against Purdue.

Houston is the only team in their system where UConn would be the underdog in an away game according to their analytics.

They would have Houston favored by just more than a point in that hypothetical matchup.
And we beat the team that beat them at home by double digits.

Reaction Score
Thats what im saying. We have not played our A game yet.
That’s the truly scary thing for the rest of the country, we’re playing very well (overall defense and moving the ball on offense) but we all agree there is so much room for improvement. Also, the world hasn’t seen us with Samson in the lineup. How good COULD we be?? Scary!

Reaction Score
Purdue is undefeated and has beaten 3 top 20 Kenpom teams by an average of 17 points per game. UConn may be the best team in the country but beating Butler does not warrant jumping them.

Reaction Score
You think Houston is going to jump UConn and Purdue to #1?
There is no way Houston jumps from #5 to #1. I think they go back to #3 and while unlikely i would not be surprised to see Uconn move up to #1. If they dont i think we`ll see the gap closing with Purdue.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If UConn shot the ball well and blew the doors off of Butler all night I would feel strongly that there should be a strong argument to put UConn #1. Butler shot poorly also.
Unfortunately Purdue is #1 and will be until they lose - that's the way it goes .It will happen - Purdue will lose
One of my concerns now is that the NBE doesn't look as strong as I had envisioned coming into the season. I am not saying UConn will run the tables but it may be fuel used against them if some of the other teams don't improve soon.
As far as Purdue starting freshmen at PG? Have you seen Braden Smith play? As a freshman he has played better any PG UConn has on their roster to date - and PG is the one ? at UConn to date
There are several teams, because of their make-up, that can give UConn fits but in the end I feel UConn is definitely one of the 10 best season to date and in the upper tier of the 10. The season is young -
UConn has a dynamite team and barring any major injuries, it will get better - they are good enough, at this point, to be a top 2 seed in the dance at minimum. It feels good to be a UConn MBB fan today,
As Mau said - 1 game at a time

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is what it is. Houston probably back to #3. With Bama and Tennessee losing, KU could be up to #4

Reaction Score
Voters who don't make UConn # 1 don't actually watch the games the various teams play. That's the bottom line. UConn hasn't put together a resume of squeaker wins, it's dominated. That's gotta mean something.
It does not matter whether UConn is 1,2,10 or some other rank. Talent will win out. This UConn team should go very deep in March. And on early April the country will know what team in number one. Enjoy the ride till then.

Reaction Score
We're going to be #2 but there are fans going into therapy over it, crazy. we're not #1. Our schedule in the BE is our worst problem right now. No ranked teams. Need to get 3 or 4 teams ranked somehow. St. John's on verge.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We're going to be #2 but there are fans going into therapy over it, crazy. we're not #1. Our schedule in the BE is our worst problem right now. No ranked teams. Need to get 3 or 4 teams ranked somehow. St. John's on verge.
Probably won't be marquee home games in near future, but there should be at least one Q1 opportunity @home, and several on the road.

Current NET has Marquette 28 and Xavier 37, with Creighton, Butler & Johnnies in top 75. Nova is sitting 107 and will only be a Q3 when we get them at home, but will likely be a Q2 by time we visit Philly in March. I don't think Friars or Hall will rise to top 75.

KenPom also likes the BE much more than NET, so let's see if their metrics are meaningful as the season goes on.

Reaction Score
That’s the truly scary thing for the rest of the country, we’re playing very well (overall defense and moving the ball on offense) but we all agree there is so much room for improvement. Also, the world hasn’t seen us with Samson in the lineup. How good COULD we be?? Scary!

I feel like the Oregon game was close to an A game, no?

Reaction Score
When you been around as long as I things like being ranked number. 1 in Dec are nice but are almost irrelevant. Certainly not worth losing sleep over.
When you look back on this season years from now the most important thing you remember is
Your last game in the tourney . Thats unfair but true.
You also remembered the players you loved as individuals interestingly they get better with age .
Where you are ranked in March is important for seeding and hopefully buys you an easy first round game . After that it’s on you.
Our 2005 was 38-4 ranked 1 on a number of occasions , won the Big East regular season and conference championships in the most brutal league ever , yet are forever vilified for an overtime loss in the round of 8 to a mid major and tagged with the label underachiever.
I don’t think 2011 or 2014 we were ever ranked 1 but teams that were would kill to exchange those rankings for our NC .
I guess for guys who haven’t been to a rodeo in a long time or ever it’s a warm feeling. Enjoy the ride but don’t let it overwhelm you.
The good thing about basketball is sport writers really have no say in who wins as all arguments get settled on the court .

Reaction Score
Kind of what the Zags went through due to their conference but typically the Big East has had more ranked teams than one. The answer, schedule the men like Geno schedules the ladies. Of course that schedule almost insures a couple of bumps along the way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom