Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is how I see it . . .

He's been tied to the university since 1962 as a player, assistant and has been their head coach for 46 years. Along the way, he built the Syracuse basketball program into a national contender and in doing so developed friendships with powerful alumni, big donors, city officials and members of the board of trustees. In many ways, he's the face of the city as well as the school.

Up to now, these people have deferred to his wishes to continue as head coach. Many feel he has earned the right to both continue for as long as he wants to and to name his successor. Apparently, his "boss", Syracuse AD Wildhack, has his hands tied as he doesn't want to offend or alienate any of these factions. If you read the postings on SyracuseFan.com, you will see that the patience of most fans has worn thin. It is rumored that he wants to coach through the 2023-24 season. Also, there is supposed to be an "iron clad" succession plan that hasn't been shared with anyone. Many feel an actual plan doesn't really exist. In the meantime, recruiting has suffered as he doesn't hit the road much anymore and recruits and parents don't know how long he will be coaching. Lots of unknowns. The program has no recruits for next season and few prospects for the following season.

Those are the pertinent facts/rumors. There is so much more detail, though -- Mike Hopkins, bashing players in pressers, playing favorites over more talented players, playing zone doesn't prepare you for a pro career -- the list goes on.
I'm more inclined to buy into the 'Boeheim has earned the right to stay' argument than I believe there's a secret succession plan. After the Hopkins debacle, why would anyone blindly believe such a thing.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry. I agree we should ignore them, but . . . I'm just piling on now.

2023's Best College Towns and Cities in America

2023’s Best College Towns & Cities in America

1669833779541.png

1669833740899.png

Syracuse came in at #182

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
LOL at this from the Barstool post:

Huskies20
2 hours ago

There was SOOOOO much smack talking from Cuse fans towards UConn. Since our legend left we have had some incredible down years. UConn lost to Wagner, Yale, and Northeastern and had an awful breakup with Kevin Ollie.

Now UConn has a top 3 recruiting class, is now ranked 6 in the coaches poll, and 8 in the AP and is looking strong for the future.

THAT MUST STING SOOOOOO HARD

whatevr
2 hours ago

Yeah it's not great, I'd still rather be in our overall position than yours.

:rolleyes: yes, please let us trade our 3 additional titles and upward trending coaching and team talent with you Cuse! Dear lord. And I'm not even a hater of theirs other than, just like GT, I hate what's happened to a former powerhouse and rival. I wasn't around for the reorg so I don't harbor the same bile some here do. Oh, one more thing - Boeheim is gross. Eat those boogers in private man like a normal degenerate.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Forgive my ignorance but does Boeheim have some insurmountably high buyout that keeps him at Syracuse? Or is it the optics of firing a once-high-flying and successful coach? It's just so obvious to the outside world (and even their own fanbase) that he needs to go, that I'm wondering why they can't just nuke the program and start a true rebuild.
The Dome just got a new sponsor, a new name, air conditioning, and Wi-Fi.
All the kids except Girardi have graduated.
They asserted dominance over Pitt by spiriting away Judah Mintz.
Only 10 more days before Akok Akok returns to the Syracuse campus for the first time in over 4 years, this time as a player...for Georgetown.
Show some patience.
It's coming...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
JB seems to be clinging to the hope that he'll catch lightning in a bottle. He sorta did a couple years ago and in 2016. In both cases Cuse was pretty lousy in the regular season followed by a good or really good tournament run. Seems like a lousy plan, but Boeheim must believe his system is a tough matchup in the post season.... and if he can somehow squeak into the tournament then maybe something amazing can happen. Again, lousy plan. Seems like he's waiting on a miracle.
As the margin grew in yesterday's game with Illinois, the announcers kept floating the notion of a team that starts slowly and puts it together. What else is there?

Reaction Score
It's obvious no one (AD included) wants to risk being the bad guy in this drama but they need to stop worrying about job security or they'll all be gone anyway.

He should be offered some "important" figurehead role such as: Special Under Assistant Pseudo Canadian Snowbelt Director of Development and Secret Succession Plans

Would be a way to save face for him and get him out on golf courses around the country where wealthy donors will revel in showing him off at their country clubs and pony up the money to build a new smaller dome to better fit the sizes of crowds they'll be attracting in the future.

Reaction Score
Jim needs to understand
Like in Poker you have to know when to walk away before you might have to run

Reaction Score
This trend of "keeping it in the family" ends in disaster way more often than not. We even won a Title doing that and it still ended in disaster.
I will take Georgetown for $2000 please

Note: I have not read any posts pas this one so I don’t know if anyone else has said this

Reaction Score
LOL at this from the Barstool post:

Huskies20
2 hours ago

There was SOOOOO much smack talking from Cuse fans towards UConn. Since our legend left we have had some incredible down years. UConn lost to Wagner, Yale, and Northeastern and had an awful breakup with Kevin Ollie.

Now UConn has a top 3 recruiting class, is now ranked 6 in the coaches poll, and 8 in the AP and is looking strong for the future.

THAT MUST STING SOOOOOO HARD

whatevr
2 hours ago

Yeah it's not great, I'd still rather be in our overall position than yours.

:rolleyes: yes, please let us trade our 3 additional titles and upward trending coaching and team talent with you Cuse! Dear lord. And I'm not even a hater of theirs other than, just like GT, I hate what's happened to a former powerhouse and rival. I wasn't around for the reorg so I don't harbor the same bile some here do. Oh, one more thing - Boeheim is gross. Eat those boogers in private man like a normal degenerate.
I was with you till you said “I hate what’s happened to a former powerhouse & rival”

Also, T.O has more nattys than them, please don’t call them a power house

Reaction Score
The Dome just got a new sponsor, a new name, air conditioning, and Wi-Fi.
All the kids except Girardi have graduated.
They asserted dominance over Pitt by spiriting away Judah Mintz.
Only 10 more days before Akok Akok returns to the Syracuse campus for the first time in over 4 years, this time as a player...for Georgetown.
Show some patience.
It's coming...
Picture being the kid who said, “I wish I stayed at Pitt”

Sucks to suck, burn them all

Reaction Score
Adam Shein on Mad Dog Sports this morning, a Cuse grad and lover of JB admitted he should have probably been gone 2 years ago this morning. But with that he said "the negative recruiting of Jim and his age were the undoing of this man and program." I mean what a joke does he think it's his age they are discussing with the kids or his actual inability to WIN now? He took his kids over other players and while they were ok, they weren't carrying the Cuse back to the top of the ACC ever. He did his own bit of negative recruiting in his career so this is the actual lamest excuse I have ever heard about this overrated coach.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Adam Shein on Mad Dog Sports this morning, a Cuse grad and lover of JB admitted he should have probably been gone 2 years ago this morning. But with that he said "the negative recruiting of Jim and his age were the undoing of this man and program." I mean what a joke does he think it's his age they are discussing with the kids or his actual inability to WIN now? He took his kids over other players and while they were ok, they weren't carrying the Cuse back to the top of the ACC ever. He did his own bit of negative recruiting in his career so this is the actual lamest excuse I have ever heard about this overrated coach.
Before this season boeheim lambasted the big10, and then a few weeks later scored 44 against a middle of pack big10 team

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
“Too slow for D1 2-3 zone” needs to be a meme! @tcf15 its gif time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member