2024 Recruiting: - Nowell - 24/7 Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Nowell - 24/7 Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
See a finesse team as you've constructed it. Getting a strong 5(portal)is key. .Johnson is not the answer as a starting 5 based on this year. Would love to add another portal shooting guard (like Spencer).. A strong bench 4/5 to "bang" off the boards would be great. Concerned about where we're going to get our Boards from next year.

Radical idea that will be unpopular on the Yard. Karaban's roommate may want one more year.
If AK's roommate continues to play like he did tonight you may be right about him wanting one more year. Oduro scored in many ways and with ease.

Reaction Score
As for Samson, he needs to get video of Hilton Armstrong to see the changes Hilton made between Soph and Junior year. Hit the weight room hard and just became a force out there. Very sound defensively and even developed a little jumper from 10 - 12 feet.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the implication that anyone needs to "get in the weight room". 1) weight gain happens in the dining hall, 2) all our guys are in the weight room diligently. This isn't 1974.

AK going pro is unlikely unless he's comfortable going 2nd round IMO. Not athletic enough.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
As far as next year I would be very happy if the staff can get as many guys to come in for the summer and specialized training outside if necessary.

I think that Jackson, Sanogo and Jordan Hawkins performance and leadership prior to the NC year paid a ton of dividends. The whole team needs to be hungry to pull the sled together.

Reaction Score
If AK's roommate continues to play like he did tonight you may be right about him wanting one more year. Oduro scored in many ways and with ease.
Can we stop with this nonsense? The vast majority of that scoring occurred when Clingan was handicapped by his four fouls. NBA scouts are going to throw this footage right in the bin because it is darn near worthless. The dude just came off an absolutely dominant two-way performance.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the implication that anyone needs to "get in the weight room". 1) weight gain happens in the dining hall, 2) all our guys are in the weight room diligently. This isn't 1974.

AK going pro is unlikely unless he's comfortable going 2nd round IMO. Not athletic enough.
Are you referring to my post on Samson? I don't think Samson is strong enough to be a defensive anchor. Hilton's play changed dramatically in between his soph. and junior seasons. He still looked as skinny as ever but he had muscular definition then in the legs and upper body.

Reaction Score
Are you referring to my post on Samson? I don't think Samson is strong enough to be a defensive anchor. Hilton's play changed dramatically in between his soph. and junior seasons. He still looked as skinny as ever but he had muscular definition then in the legs and upper body.

Of course Samson isn't strong enough. And the weight room has little to do with it. Genetics and diet are the limiting factors here.

Reaction Score
Of course Samson isn't strong enough. And the weight room has little to do with it. Genetics and diet are the limiting factors here.
Well, then, Hilton not only grew 9 inches senior year of high school and college, but he was a genetic freak who added some incredible muscle definition.

Reaction Score
Well, then, Hilton not only grew 9 inches senior year of high school and college, but he was a genetic freak who added some incredible muscle definition.

What point are you trying to make? Do you think Samson doesn't lift? Or Hilton didn't lift until he gained weight?

That's not how it works. He changed his diet, and maybe took drugs.

Reaction Score
What point are you trying to make? Do you think Samson doesn't lift? Or Hilton didn't lift until he gained weight?

That's not how it works. He changed his diet, and maybe took drugs.
Wow-- unreal.

Reaction Score
Wow-- unreal.

Still waiting for the point you're trying to make.

Because as of now, you seem to think that Samson doesn't lift enough and that's the solution to him gaining weight. It's odd. Do you think Hurley allowed him to skip his scheduled workouts?

Are you upset I said Hilton may have taken drugs? I doubt it, though it's possible. If he wasn't a D1 athlete with a strength coach and dietician I would've guaranteed it. His weight gain is practically unheard of natty. Some folks are just weird just pack on muscle as soon as they hit a certain age and eat a bunch.

Reaction Score
I looked back at the UConn players with similar body types as Johnson. It's typical for a player to gain 20 to 25 lbs during their career and as of now (based on roster listing), Johnson has gained 20 lbs which is within the norm. You have to remember, Johnson was brought to UConn as a stretch 4, not as an inside banger as he doesn't have banger body type.

Some UConn weight gains:

Johnson: 205 to 225 lbs.
Brimah: 217 to 232 lbs.
Akok: 193 to 225 lbs (this year at WVU)\
Armstrong: 210 to 235 lbs.
Whaley: 190 to 225 lbs.
Facey: 200 to 227 lbs.
Nolan: 203 to 230 lbs.
Daniels: 195 to 195 lbs.

Reaction Score
Getting a strong 5(portal)is key. .Johnson is not the answer as a starting 5 based on this year. Would love to add another portal shooting guard (like Spencer).. A strong bench 4/5 to "bang" off the boards would be great. Concerned about where we're going to get our Boards from next year.
if hurley bring in a starting 5 AND a bench big then he might as well bring in 2 bench bigs because samson would not be A happy camper...

Diarra----Nowell
Ball-------Ross
Transfer--Stewart
Karaban- Romeglou
Transfer- Samson

Bench: Transfer, Abraham, Singare

Reaction Score
if hurley bring in a starting 5 AND a bench big then he might as well bring in 2 bench bigs because samson would not be A happy camper...

Diarra----Nowell
Ball-------Ross
Transfer--Stewart
Karaban- Romeglou
Transfer- Samson

Unless Samson puts on some muscle(lower body) thru SnC this summer.. He can't hold position in the paint vs mature/strong 5s.. He's getting pushed all over the place now when trying to get in position for a rebound. He's great at verticality when there's limited physicality but if he's got to get in the paint and grind it out.. It's not working right now.

Reaction Score

Diarra----Nowell
Ball-------Ross
Transfer--Stewart
Karaban- Romeglou
Transfer- Samson

BTW.. I see Stewart being given the opportunity at starting at the 3 unless a stud 3 falls in our lap through the portal. See AK at the 4(next year) unless he does some crazy stuff in the Tournament. He could use another summer of SnC to work on explosion and fast twitch muscle development.

Reaction Score
BTW.. I see Stewart being given the opportunity at starting at the 3 unless a stud 3 falls in our lap through the portal. See AK at the 4(next year) unless he does some crazy stuff in the Tournament. He could use another summer of SnC to work on explosion and fast twitch muscle development.
we cant just sit around waiting for a stud we need to go out and get 2 studs that can start! otherwise we probably arent even making the tourney...

Reaction Score

Diarra----Nowell
Ball-------Ross
Transfer--Stewart
Karaban- Romeglou
Transfer- Samson

Samson is a puzzle to me. He still make some mistakes that make you scratch your head, more so on defense than on offense. Some times he just lost his man and stood in no mans land in defense. It made me cringe every time he set screen on the top because ref would call him when he stick his hips out. I have to think it’s a BBIQ thing, compare with AK, or even Cam who is transfer but mesh so quickly.

Reaction Score
we cant just sit around waiting for a stud we need to go out and get 2 studs that can start! otherwise we probably arent even making the tourney...
Relax, let's not get carried away now...

Reaction Score
You're killin' me. Guess I'm more optimistic than you. Let's see how things play out for the rest of the year before you jump off of the bridge. LOL

Reaction Score
So are you assuming that none of the players coming back make big jumps in improvement? Seems that's never happened at UConn under Hurley in the last few years. :confused:

Reaction Score

Listening to all the media interviews that Hurley gave, you don’t get a deep sense that Hurley and his colleagues have designed solid plans to develop kids who committed to playing here and are actually following thru? I’ll give you one for there are many.

He said repeatedly before Providence game “ Castle has a next level that he can gets to, and we are trying to find ways to put him in best position to do that”. You saw what Castle did to providence…

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Only 2 things I'd change here... we need a starting-caliber big, not a backup.

And I suspect Abraham will play the 4 and Stewart will slide in at the 3. Not that those positions are really that different in our system and the two are the same size, but Abraham has exactly 0 SF skills and Stewart has all of them.
Karaban is not leaving…..

Reaction Score
Samson is a puzzle to me. He still make some mistakes that make you scratch your head, more so on defense than on offense. Some times he just lost his man and stood in no mans land in defense. It made me cringe every time he set screen on the top because ref would call him when he stick his hips out. I have to think it’s a BBIQ thing, compare with AK, or even Cam who is transfer but mesh so quickly.
Did you like Samson's steal and dribbling the court and dunking?

Samson needs to improve his defensive rebounding. That is where his lack of strength really hurts him. He needs to have stronger hands and rebound with both hands. But he will never be a rock like Sanogo. Samson is a fast twitch athlete. He will always be more quick than strong.

Reaction Score

AK is always going to be unathletic. I’ve always assumed he goes pro this year because next year he’ll still be unathletic and just another year older

Reaction Score
Did you like Samson's steal and dribbling the court and dunking?

Samson needs to improve his defensive rebounding. That is where his lack of strength really hurts him. He needs to have stronger hands and rebound with both hands. But he will never be a rock like Sanogo. Samson is a fast twitch athlete. He will always be more quick than strong.
I get what you are saying and I’m not throwing shades at the kid.
But for what you said, He is also quick to foul, either sticking his hands or jumping when he absolutely don’t have to. He may be exciting to watch for some plays but also the one that make you shake your head in next. That just does not work in champion caliber team, not on Hurleys team. Listen, I love the kids who stick around the program and that speaks for their character. But that does not equate talent and level of plays expected as standard at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom