2024 Recruiting: - Nowell - 24/7 Rankings | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Nowell - 24/7 Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Why isn’t Ahmad Nowell on the point guard list?

More of less the same answer. He can play on and off the ball. He’s definitely made strides with it in his hands, and is being utilized as a primary ball-handler more as a senior. The position listing though is based on what position will be the prospect’s best upon reaching the next level though, not where their current coach elects to utilize them.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
In first to give him next year’s nickname….Agent 0!

Reaction Score
It sounds like we're set at PG next year if Diarra comes back, between him and Nowell. We may want to add someone in the portal that can handle a few minutes of running the point ala Cam Spencer but those two at the top should have us in good shape.
agreed. we need an elite point-forward that can also shoot to round out the starting lineup. otherwise we're lacking both ball handling and shooting. also need a backup big.

Diarra--- Nowell
Solo----- Ross
Transfer- Romeglou - Abraham
Karaban- Stewart
Johnson- Transfer --- Singare

Reaction Score
agreed. we need an elite point-forward that can also shoot to round out the starting lineup. otherwise we're lacking both ball handling and shooting. also need a backup big.

Diarra--- Nowell
Solo----- Ross
Karaban- Stewart

Only 2 things I'd change here... we need a starting-caliber big, not a backup.

And I suspect Abraham will play the 4 and Stewart will slide in at the 3. Not that those positions are really that different in our system and the two are the same size, but Abraham has exactly 0 SF skills and Stewart has all of them.

Reaction Score
Only 2 things I'd change here... we need a starting-caliber big, not a backup.

And I suspect Abraham will play the 4 and Stewart will slide in at the 3. Not that those positions are really that different in our system and the two are the same size, but Abraham has exactly 0 SF skills and Stewart has all of them.
The good news is that there are 13 scholarships available and there are only 12 players/ open slots listed in that group. So there is room to bring in 2 transfers who will battle for starting spots and 1 that will be a role player. The only returning player that would command any sort of significant NIL money would be Karaban and there should be a lot of NIL money freed up with who will be graduating/ heading to the NBA. So UConn should get at least 2 transfers that should be MAJOR impact guys that are top 25 transfers in college basketball this off season and at least one more transfer that fills a specific need.

Reaction Score
Because of injury, yes.
Luckily we don’t need to have Solo start at “this moment” but we can certainly project him as a starter next season. Whether he does or not is up to the time and effort he puts in

Reaction Score

Diarra--- Nowell
Solo----- Ross
Karaban- Stewart
I think we need another big and a guard much more. If Karaban returns we have the forward position locked up with him and Stewart.

Reaction Score
Luckily we don’t need to have Solo start at “this moment” but we can certainly project him as a starter next season. Whether he does or not is up to the time and effort he puts in
Agreed. Not saying he's going to make the same jump as Hawkins, but this is like a repeat of when people questioned Hawkins starting sophomore year. Through the same point his freshman year Hawkins was averaging 6 points and 2 rebounds on 41% shooting and 34% from 3. Solo is at 5 and 2 on 44% and 32% from 3. It's not hard to imagine him making a big jump this off-season

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Agreed. Not saying he's going to make the same jump as Hawkins, but this is like a repeat of when people questioned Hawkins starting sophomore year. Through the same point his freshman year Hawkins was averaging 6 points and 2 rebounds on 41% shooting and 34% from 3. Solo is at 5 and 2 on 44% and 32% from 3. It's not hard to imagine him making a big jump this off-season
In the nicest way possible to Solo, I think Hawkins talent was more obvious to the eye test. But I’m willing to concede it’s possible Solo shows enough to be a projected starter eventually.

Reaction Score
Very different styles. Not sure solo will be runnimg through multiple screens across the court and then catch and shoot. I think solo will get his threes and drives more like Alex, facing up, shooting and driving. Hawk was special.

Reaction Score
Very different styles. Not sure solo will be runnimg through multiple screens across the court and then catch and shoot. I think solo will get his threes and drives more like Alex, facing up, shooting and driving. Hawk was special.
No doubt, they're not similar players. Just saying that sophomore jump is a big one and I wouldn't write him off as a starter based on how he's played this year. Doesn't mean we shouldn't get a great guard out of the portal, I just expect him to be starting next to Solo

Reaction Score
Is this kid as athletic as Solo (who has things like a 43" vertical)? They look like halfbacks!
In the video I watched he had three guys guarding him and still got to the rim.. he also can dunk and at 6 ft with his weight that’s pretty impressive

Reaction Score
Nowell and Ball on the court together is really an exciting prospect. Obviously, there will be a steep learning curve for the two of them as starters. But man I’ll tell you I love watching video of Nowell.

Hassan won’t start though??

Reaction Score

Diarra--- Nowell
Solo----- Ross
Karaban- Stewart
See a finesse team as you've constructed it. Getting a strong 5(portal)is key. .Johnson is not the answer as a starting 5 based on this year. Would love to add another portal shooting guard (like Spencer).. A strong bench 4/5 to "bang" off the boards would be great. Concerned about where we're going to get our Boards from next year.

Radical idea that will be unpopular on the Yard. Karaban's roommate may want one more year.

Reaction Score
See a finesse team as you've constructed it. Getting a strong 5(portal)is key. .Johnson is not the answer as a starting 5 based on this year. Would love to add another portal shooting guard (like Spencer).. A strong bench 4/5 to "bang" off the boards would be great. Concerned about where we're going to get our Boards from next year.

Radical idea that will be unpopular on the Yard. Karaban's roommate may want one more year.
I think we pull 1 big time transfer this year that changes the entire outlook for the season. I think it’s a big. I think Johnson is 5 year guy candidate. He could really good by then if so.

Uconn makes a deep run Karaban will get a lot of interest. If He gets info similar to AJ he should be gone (early mid 2nd round). Anything less he should come back and kill it.

Reaction Score

I'd be surprised if that's the case...but we've seen how much of a game-changer a proven 7-foot big who can move can be. Would love to see a portal add of that profile, I know its not easy to find but Singare may not be ready and SJ is "only" 6-10 and plays a different role.

Reaction Score

Diarra--- Nowell
Solo----- Ross
Karaban- Stewart
I think Stewart is a starter next year. I hope you are right about Karaban returning but I think he will go pro. Next year anyone who can shoot 3 well, will get good minutes. If everyone stays I don’t think Hurley will be that aggressive with portal. I think he will play players from this team, and build up for a couple years out.

Reaction Score
If he keeps playing like he has, Hurley will drag him kicking and screaming to the draft if he has to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom