Not Developing or Not Identifying Talent? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Not Developing or Not Identifying Talent?

Reaction Score
I’m not going to act like I know all the names on this list though. When the hell did Doug Wrenn play. Haha

Look him up. He was basically Caron but if the story didn't have a happy ending. Easily the most gifted player who didn't pan out here.

Reaction Score
I’m not going to act like I know all the names on this list though. When the hell did Doug Wrenn play. Haha
Year after the 1st national championship. His one and only season at UConn.

Nice to see he just completed his degree from the University of Washington. I hope he's turned his life around.

Reaction Score
If we locked you and spliffy in a room it would be similar to bringing matter and antimatter together.

He eats shoots and leaves.
He eats shoots, and leaves.
He eats, shoots, and leaves.

Never underestimate the value of commas.

Thought the old joke was “eats bush and leaves”? :oops:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Look him up. He was basically Caron but if the story didn't have a happy ending. Easily the most gifted player who didn't pan out here.
Yeah I just watched his highlights and damn. Went on to UDub to average 19 a game the next year. Him and Caron could’ve been a crazy duo.
Year after the 1st national championship. His one and only season at UConn.

Nice to see he just completed his degree from the University of Washington. I hope he's turned his life around.

Found this really cool piece on how he’s been doing.

Reaction Score
I've been looking at DH's record with incoming freshman. I think I have covered everyone and it's not the best look. In four years we've developed 4 players that I'd consider starting caliber players (bouk, Jackson, sanogo and Hawkins)

Sid Wilson - transfer
Brendan Adams - transfer
Bouknight - nba
Akok - transfer
Gaff - transfer
Sanogo - current starter
Jackson - current starter
Springs - minimal minutes
Javonte Brown - transfer
Corey Floyd - transfer
Diggins - transfer
Samson Johnson - minimal minutes
Jordan Hawkins - solid player. Likely starter as sophomore

The reasons why guys on the above list didn't work out are all over the map. We've also entered the transfer portal era. Which changes everything and hit us hard this year.

I'm not 100% sure what to make of this. We've clearly improved. NCAA two years in a row is improvement. But if this was the pre-portal era I'd think DH is in significant trouble. Four players in four years that actually see legit playing time..... combined with a massive number of transfers. DH definitely needs to do better and I'm not sure what the issue is. I'm not sure if he's struggling to develop players or struggling to identify talent.

One thing we do have going for us. Of the 4 players that I identified earlier, 3 of them are still on the team and will be starting next year.

This is fun.

Javonte Brown’s ppl are insane

Gaffney kinda stunk

Springs is just a body. Can’t play 13 guys.

Diggins had to be over rated and was a miss eval by the staff

The two that really bum you out are Akok and Floyd. I thought Akok should of gotten more mins. And Floyd is just massively disappointing. Like what happen? You knew you were redshirting?????? What could you be mad at??? Is there any chance the staff told Floyd you might not play that much???? Cause of what they saw in practice?

Reaction Score
Thank you for your unwavering, blind faith in Danny. We need more fans like you. Bless your heart Auror

Not blind faith at all, we have improved each year under DH, that's a fact. Take your turd show somewhere else Poosie.

Reaction Score
The culture up to 2014…blah blah blah. Who gets credit for this win or that win…this player transferred, that player was a bust. Whatever the case may be, our program is a shadow of its former self and approaching a decade of mediocrity…and our hopes are pinned on Danny to bring us back to prominence. I’m gonna double my meds.
Just take them all.

Reaction Score
I think Wrenn put up big numbers once he transferred, yet he never made the NBA. Trouble seemed to follow him. He recently got his degree from the University of Washington and has now set his sights on becoming a professor. Got to give him credit for turning things around.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is fun.

Javonte Brown’s ppl are insane

Gaffney kinda stunk

Springs is just a body. Can’t play 13 guys.

Diggins had to be over rated and was a miss eval by the staff

The two that really bum you out are Akok and Floyd. I thought Akok should of gotten more mins. And Floyd is just massively disappointing. Like what happen? You knew you were redshirting?????? What could you be mad at??? Is there any chance the staff told Floyd you might not play that much???? Cause of what they saw in practice?
I agree with you on Akok, he looked pretty good in limited minutes, imo.

Diggins wasn't a miss. He hurt his ankle last summer and by the time he got healthy, other guys were in mid season form. Hard to play D on a bad ankle...and the rest is history.

Floyd is definitely a bad loss. That one hurts. The kid will be a valuable piece wherever he lands.

Reaction Score
While OP rightfully got flamed for this, he does indirectly shine a light on the fact that HS rankings matter less and less these days. Top 100, Top 50, etc. is a nice, ego-stroking accolade, but we've seen first hand that some guys just aren't ready that early. Recruiting is a high-risk, high-reward game with a greater likelihood of whiffing on recruits than finding a James Bouknight.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on Akok, he looked pretty good in limited minutes, imo.

Diggins wasn't a miss. He hurt his ankle last summer and by the time he got healthy, other guys were in mid season form. Hard to play D on a bad ankle...and the rest is history.

Floyd is definitely a bad loss. That one hurts. The kid will be a valuable piece wherever he lands.
Love Akok but for every ball he put in the hoop he gave up a score on the defensive end

Reaction Score
Love Akok but for every ball he put in the hoop he gave up a score on the defensive end
I thought he was a net positive, but that's just gut. I really like the kid and hope he finds a good fit.

Reaction Score
fwiw the team last year with Bouknight had a better winning % than this year’s so I don’t think it’s actually a fact.
It’s a fact and it’s easily verifiable. Winning % increased almost as much from 20-21 to 21-22 as it did from 19-20 to 20-21. Hurley clearly still has a ways to go with this team but to say that the teams haven’t progressed year to year is just wrong.

1A4A3645-AB8B-41DC-82F7-B51E664DB4BB.jpeg

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It’s a fact and it’s easily verifiable. Winning % increased almost as much from 20-21 to 21-22 as it did from 19-20 to 20-21. Hurley clearly still has a ways to go with this team but to say that the teams haven’t progressed year to year is just wrong.

View attachment 75742
I meant the games Bouknight played in. I think they were 11-4 with Bouknight. 73% win percentage. 2 regular season losses.

Reaction Score
I meant the games Bouknight played in. I think they were 11-4 with Bouknight. 73% win percentage. 2 regular season losses.
Did you take out the games this season that Sanogo, Martin, Hawkins, and Whaley missed?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Did you take out the games this season that Sanogo, Martin, Hawkins, and Whaley missed?
No because Bouknight was a clear level above, team changing player. NBA talent.

Reaction Score

View attachment 75742
Hey - if you see progress with two first round exits to a 10 and 12 seed respectively with players that include an NBA lottery pick and 2 1st team all big East players this past season….that’s your prerogative. I see regression on the sidelines, a lot of extra foot stomping and whining, and increasingly poor rapport with league officials.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom