Not Developing or Not Identifying Talent? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Not Developing or Not Identifying Talent?

Reaction Score
You are welcome to disagree about whether Sid Wilson should be included as Hurley's responsiblity, but it is a bit of an overreaction to act like a few words in one post broke the Internet. There have been quite a few over-the-top ad hominem attacks on other posters in this thread in defense of Hurley.

neat.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah you clearly didn’t watch the Calhoun era.

I’ll tell you a story bud.

In 2006-2007 we went 17-14. Played nothing but a bunch of freshman and sophomores and it was a tough year to watch. Missed the tournament. Could’ve brought in transfers then to win games immediately if we wanted to.

That same team went on to play in the Final Four 2 years later without a key player that could’ve won us a championship. Everything doesn’t always have to be win now. Development matters.

That's a horrendous comparison. Essentially the entire roster turned over from 05-06 to 06-07 and it was restocked with one of the top recruiting classes in America, not to mention the debut of AJ Price.

Curious who the 5 to 7 transfers you thought they would bring in for the 06-07 season that would be better than that?

Further, how does this relate at all to 21-22 UConn?

Reaction Score
Not it’s not. We spent resources recruiting them only for them not to do anything for us and have to hit the portal for replacements. So they were misses by Hurley. Failures. I already showed the numbers that healthy blue blood programs don’t deal with this many transfer and misses. If they do, it’s because they recruit well enough where they don’t beat out other recruits.

What I’m saying by being a newer fan you don’t understand just how well Calhoun’s formula worked. Which is most’s problem with Hurley. Calhoun was as honest, strict, and as much of an balloon knot as they come. But he believed in his players, found a way to make them useful to give them minutes, and developed the living hell out of them. And we never had to conform to the rest of college hoops. I’d personally like our culture to stay that way.
Been a UConn fan since 98’ and your disdain towards Hurley is starting to look like disdain toward the program.

The way you are putting him down and highlighting only negatives is getting tiresome. You aren’t coming off as a UConn fan to me.

There is a long way to go until next season and there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic with the core we have returning.

The sky isn’t falling and we have a lot scorers and playmakers on our team next year and we aren’t finished recruiting yet

Reaction Score
Why "make up" things to whine about when you want the program that you root for to succeed? Generally the "whine" is due to discontent with something.
My somethings are well noted on this board.

To Hurley's credit, I guess, many believe he discovered Whaley, after Akok went down. Few will recall that KO regularly played Whaley. I will agree that Whaley shined under DH. Bouk was league-bound no matter where he ended up and Hawkins was ready upon arrival.

He gave up on Sid, who had athleticism, size and length, to be of some benefit to the program.

Stevie Wonder would have eventually played Bouk.

He brought in Diggins, CFJr, Gaffney, J. Brown, and Akok all gone. Those are his guys and they all left.

Springs is in his 6th year I think of the developmental plan and has not played scratch and Samson, a "wall guy" got no run last year.

Clearly Hurley is not a top notch X and O guy and does he exude coolness on the sideline, quite the opposite, picture whiny, immature man slowly pissing off the refs at every ridiculous gesture and that damn "bitter beer barf" face. Helpful. Thank God for Kimani at the helm for the Nova home game or who knows what would have happened.

And as everyone on this board knows, and as I predicted last year, he's a year late engaging in the portal. A lack of talent, and more specifically the inability to replace Bouk's scoring threat through the portal was bound to bite us in axx, and it did. His holier than thou culture approach was full of shix and proved to be the case as last year we beat the teams we were supposed to beat and lost to anyone remotely competitive. Most importantly, we flamed like mitches in the 1st round again.

So, excuse me if I don't want to hear anything from DH. Spare me the platitudes on his new formula for development and roster construction, or how he has awakened to the realities of portal world, or how he is somehow more virtuous or truthful to his players than other coaches. He's being painfully truthful to guys HE recruited, you owe them no less. Duh. He's slow to trends on and off the court, does not seem to have the facile mind to adjust on the fly ( see St. Johns at home two years ago).

He can't hide. He's at UConn, he's at a powerhouse and his failings are on a large stage. He can get it right, or we can and should go out and get a big time guy who will get it right and be willing to stand up and be held accountable to an admittedly difficult job serving as head coach to one of the most successful programs of all time. No more 45:07 t-shirts and slogans, no more salesmanship, shut-up, bring ballers in from the portal and by traditional means and get us beyond the second round.
This is just a stupid rant.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Been a UConn fan since 98’ and your disdain towards Hurley is starting to look like disdain toward the program.

The way you are putting him down and highlighting only negatives is getting tiresome. You aren’t coming off as a UConn fan to me.

There is a long way to go until next season and there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic with the core we have returning.

The sky isn’t falling and we have a lot scorers and playmakers on our team next year and we aren’t finished recruiting yet
How is it disdain towards the program when I constantly use examples of what we’ve had success doing in the past to showcase what Hurley should be doing?

Hurley as a coach has made a lot of mistakes is all. It’s frustrating because he’s an amazing recruiter. We have had so much talent on this roster and only have tournament appearances to show from it. I just want more is all.

We do have a great core next year. It has sweet sixteen or more potential. My only hope is that we don’t center our offense around Sanogo if he doesn’t learn to pass when there’s so many talented perimeter guys on the team.

Reaction Score
How is it disdain towards the program when I constantly use examples of what we’ve had success doing in the past to showcase what Hurley should be doing?
I would say by constantly framing every mistake as a failure regardless of the context in which it happened. Calhoun is a top 10 college basketball coach of all time. It is not a failure to not be at that standard. If using "Calhoun's formula" was as easy as you imply, there'd be an awful lot of top 10 college basketball coaches

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I would say by constantly framing every mistake as a failure regardless of the context in which it happened. Calhoun is a top 10 college basketball coach of all time. It is not a failure to not be at that standard. If using "Calhoun's formula" was as easy as you imply, there'd be an awful lot of top 10 college basketball coaches
Y’all can spin this however way you want to, but there isn’t much context needed for 6 of your recruits to transfer out since 2018. It’s not okay. That’s failing to either identify or develop. Only one of those guys you can use an injury excuse for. And that remains to be seen depending on how he plays elsewhere.

If we won I would be a happy man with nothing to say. But we’ve been upset two years in a row. Not just lost, but upset. So I’m not happy personally and it’s not wrong to point out mistakes. It’s not over because the talent is still there to win with. He just has to manage it better. We should’ve done so much better this year.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What is ridiculous. Why are you all so offended by facts? He got ejected in the first half. To credit that win to Hurley just wouldn’t be true.
To whom does the NCAA credit the win?

Your point is taken, and may even find majority favor within this forum, but it does not align with facts as defined and widely understood. This results in a flawed post, which does not make you a failure, but only means that you have failed to be accurate in your assertion.

A person need not be "offended" to notice and highlight this. Then again, your error isn't necessarily "ridiculous."

I think there's too much certainty here about things that aren't really so certain.

Reaction Score

Your point is taken, and may even find majority favor within this forum, but it does not align with facts as defined and widely understood. This results in a flawed post, which does not make you a failure, but only means that you have failed to be accurate in your assertion.

A person need not be "offended" to notice and highlight this. Then again, your error isn't necessarily "ridiculous."

I think there's too much certainty here about things that aren't really so certain.
Credit when due. Who came up with the game plan? I would say DH did. I have not gone out of my way to defend him...but also am not actively seeking reasons not to do so.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Haha I get you Hans. You’re not wrong there. To say that Hurley beat Wright in a game he didn’t finish would be an extreme reach though.

Reaction Score
Y’all can spin this however way you want to, but there isn’t much context needed for 6 of your recruits to transfer out since 2018. It’s not okay. That’s failing to either identify or develop. Only one of those guys you can use an injury excuse for. And that remains to be seen depending on how he plays elsewhere.

If we won I would be a happy man with nothing to say. But we’ve been upset two years in a row. Not just lost, but upset. So I’m not happy personally and it’s not wrong to point out mistakes. It’s not over because the talent is still there to win with. He just has to manage it better. We should’ve done so much better this year.

Players lost to the Portal since 2018:

Marquette - 8
Creighton - 4
Georgetown - 12
Xavier - 10
Providence - 5
Seton Hall - 5
St. John's - 10
Depaul - 15

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Marquette - 8
Creighton - 4
Georgetown - 12
Xavier - 10
Providence - 5
Seton Hall - 5
St. John's - 10
Depaul - 15
Would you want us to be like most of the programs you listed here?

Also who were the 4 from Creighton? Curious because I counted 3 but I could be missing something or 247 could’ve not updated one from the 2021 class.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
What is ridiculous. Why are you all so offended by facts? He got ejected in the first half. To credit that win to Hurley just wouldn’t be true.
Wanna check the records? Wanna bet who coached the defense they used all game?

Reaction Score
*top 5

Reaction Score

Marquette - 8
Creighton - 4
Georgetown - 12
Xavier - 10
Providence - 5
Seton Hall - 5
St. John's - 10
Depaul - 15
When I look at this I see a connection between transfers and average to poor results

Reaction Score
I couldn't care less who gets credit for the win. We won. That's all that counts. With that said does game prep in practice, gameplan and game readiness matter to you at all though? No credit for that I guess. Unless you spent most of the first half in the toilet you would know that we came out for the Nova game like we were shot out of a cannon. High intensity, like we were on a mission. We were well prepared. You make it sound like we were getting smoked and Kimani saved the day. How about they both get kudos for a job well done. Hurley got tossed and Kimani had his back. Win, win.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I couldn't care less who gets credit for the win. We won. That's all that counts. With that said does game prep in practice, gameplan and game readiness matter to you at all though? No credit for that I guess. Unless you spent most of the first half in the toilet you would know that we came out for the Nova game like we were shot out of a cannon. High intensity, like we were on a mission. We were well prepared. You make it sound like we were getting smoked and Kimani saved the day. How about they both get kudos for a job well done. Hurley got tossed and Kimani had his back. Win, win.
Not for nothing but that didn’t get him a win against nova before. We usually lose because we fail to close the games because of the in game coaching. It’s always a close one.

Reaction Score
Why "make up" things to whine about when you want the program that you root for to succeed? Generally the "whine" is due to discontent with something.
My somethings are well noted on this board.

To Hurley's credit, I guess, many believe he discovered Whaley, after Akok went down. Few will recall that KO regularly played Whaley. I will agree that Whaley shined under DH. Bouk was league-bound no matter where he ended up and Hawkins was ready upon arrival.

He gave up on Sid, who had athleticism, size and length, to be of some benefit to the program.

Stevie Wonder would have eventually played Bouk.

He brought in Diggins, CFJr, Gaffney, J. Brown, and Akok all gone. Those are his guys and they all left.

Springs is in his 6th year I think of the developmental plan and has not played scratch and Samson, a "wall guy" got no run last year.

Clearly Hurley is not a top notch X and O guy and does he exude coolness on the sideline, quite the opposite, picture whiny, immature man slowly pissing off the refs at every ridiculous gesture and that damn "bitter beer barf" face. Helpful. Thank God for Kimani at the helm for the Nova home game or who knows what would have happened.

And as everyone on this board knows, and as I predicted last year, he's a year late engaging in the portal. A lack of talent, and more specifically the inability to replace Bouk's scoring threat through the portal was bound to bite us in axx, and it did. His holier than thou culture approach was full of shix and proved to be the case as last year we beat the teams we were supposed to beat and lost to anyone remotely competitive. Most importantly, we flamed like mitches in the 1st round again.

So, excuse me if I don't want to hear anything from DH. Spare me the platitudes on his new formula for development and roster construction, or how he has awakened to the realities of portal world, or how he is somehow more virtuous or truthful to his players than other coaches. He's being painfully truthful to guys HE recruited, you owe them no less. Duh. He's slow to trends on and off the court, does not seem to have the facile mind to adjust on the fly ( see St. Johns at home two years ago).

He can't hide. He's at UConn, he's at a powerhouse and his failings are on a large stage. He can get it right, or we can and should go out and get a big time guy who will get it right and be willing to stand up and be held accountable to an admittedly difficult job serving as head coach to one of the most successful programs of all time. No more 45:07 t-shirts and slogans, no more salesmanship, shut-up, bring ballers in from the portal and by traditional means and get us beyond the second round.
Came in to express just these precise thoughts. The curtain has been drawn back on the Great Oz. Just a timid little man behind there. Put up, or shut, Danny. This is UConn. Win a regular season BE tittle, a BE Tourney, an NCAA Tournament Game...something to back up that cocky little strut.

Reaction Score
Came in to express just these precise thoughts. The curtain has been drawn back on the Great Oz. Just a timid little man behind there. Put up, or shut, Danny. This is UConn. Win a regular season BE tittle, a BE Tourney, an NCAA Tournament Game...something to back up that cocky little strut.
Troll alert

Reaction Score
In 2006-2007 we went 17-14. Played nothing but a bunch of freshman and sophomores and it was a tough year to watch. Missed the tournament. Could’ve brought in transfers then to win games immediately if we wanted to.
Of course transfers weren’t immediately eligible and there was FAR less transfer talent available back then, but don’t let facts get in the way of your rant. You’re really on a roll.

Reaction Score
If you followed us before 2014, I feel like you would understand more about how UConn culture really is and how big we are on bringing in players and developing them. This isn’t a program that usually misses on players, especially if they show any bit of promise.

Phil Nolan and Charles Okwandu were made useful for Christ’s sake but we have people making excuses for why Hurley couldn’t find a way to play Akok.

Terrence Samuels and Craig Austrie were very useful not highly recruited guards freshman year. I’m not sure if you around for that, but those kind of situations make me question Hurley for how he handled our very talented roster this year. The top talent was not THAT good to lean on like he did this year.

This is a remarkably rose-colored view of the past and the Calhoun era. Calhoun had plenty of busts and kids transfer out.

Highly touted busts:
  • Richie Ashmeade
  • Michael Leblanc
  • Sam Funches
  • Antric Klaiber
  • Ajou Deng
  • Scott Hazelton
  • Doug Wrenn
  • Marcus Cox
  • Curtis Kelly
  • Marcus Johnson
  • Omar Calhoun
  • Jamaal Coombs-McDaniel
  • Ater Majok

I believe Omar and Klaiber are the only two guys on that list who didn't transfer out. Every single one of those guys was worse than advertised with the exception of Wrenn.

That's not even getting into all of the other transfers who never should have set foot in Storrs to begin with. Jamal Trice, Rob Garrison, Ben Eaves, etc.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is a remarkably rose-colored view of the past and the Calhoun era. Calhoun had plenty of busts and kids transfer out.

Highly touted busts:
  • Richie Ashmeade
  • Michael Leblanc
  • Sam Funches
  • Antric Klaiber
  • Ajou Deng
  • Scott Hazelton
  • Doug Wrenn
  • Marcus Cox
  • Curtis Kelly
  • Marcus Johnson
  • Omar Calhoun
  • Jamaal Coombs-McDaniel
  • Ater Majok

I believe Omar and Klaiber are the only two guys on that list who didn't transfer out. Every single one of those guys was worse than advertised with the exception of Wrenn.

That's not even getting into all of the other transfers who never should have set foot in Storrs to begin with. Jamal Trice, Rob Garrison, Ben Eaves, etc.
I’ll say that usually if guys transferred out or didn’t cut it, it was because they got outplayed and passed up by players who were very legit. I think Curtis Kelly and Marcus Johnson played around the same time as Rudy and Stanley. Jamal Coombs-McDaniel got passed up by Jeremy Lamb and Roscoe Smith as freshman I believe. These weren’t situations where we were desperate for someone to step up and couldn’t get it done.

I’m not going to act like I know all the names on this list though. When the hell did Doug Wrenn play. Haha

Completely agree those players at the bottom had no business being here in the first place and their rankings usually showed it.

Reaction Score
The culture up to 2014…blah blah blah. Who gets credit for this win or that win…this player transferred, that player was a bust. Whatever the case may be, our program is a shadow of its former self and approaching a decade of mediocrity…and our hopes are pinned on Danny to bring us back to prominence. I’m gonna double my meds.

Reaction Score
The culture up to 2014…blah blah blah. Who gets credit for this win or that win…this player transferred, that player was a bust. Whatever the case may be, our program is a shadow of its former self and approaching a decade of mediocrity…and our hopes are pinned on Danny to bring us back to prominence. I’m gonna double my meds.
Yeah you got it. Thank you for your interest in UConn basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom