Next time just drop the ball Hergy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Next time just drop the ball Hergy

Reaction Score

A penalty is a penalty, a foul is a foul, regardless of what the clock says. It's not that difficult a concept to understand.
Agree with you 100%. That said, there’s a reason AAC refs are not P5. There have been many head scratching calls (for and against UConn) this season. This has to at least be recognized.

Reaction Score
But Mayala is a bad . He musta had to. In today's football culture, all these jerks do is taunt. A team can be behind badly behind and a player will still taunt (look what I did!). Just get up and hand the ball to the ref.

Reaction Score
Conference Realignment has really hurt UConn athletics. But given that UConn is in the AAC, don't ridicule it, be competitive in it. Can't give away opportunities lime today - to beat Cincy. Thanks Mayala, thanks Tarbutt.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

I'm an Edsall fan, but this type of comment drives me bonkers.

Yes, it was a big penalty that cost us. But it cost us exactly as many points as Edsall did earlier in the game going for 2 when he didn't need to. I'd have more respect for this comment if he said, "And I up as well"...

Reaction Score

Yes, it was a big penalty that cost us. But it cost us exactly as many points as Edsall did earlier in the game going for 2 when he didn't need to. I'd have more respect for this comment if he said, "And I up as well"...

Well, Mayala run out of back of the endzone and came back in prior to catch on that play as well ... so it was 4 points "missed" by Mayala ;). He's a work horse and will learn from it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well, Mayala run out of back of the endzone and came back in prior to catch on that play as well ... so it was 4 points missed by Mayala ;). He's a work horse and will learn from it.

Damn you... :eek:

Reaction Score

Oh bull crap. Mayala did a really STUPID, selfish , childish, did I mention STUPID, idiotic play. For no other reason than to glorify how wonderful he is or how incompetent others are. Unfortunately, it seems the norm among players today, regardless of the level. Hate it. Yes, I’m old. Remember when players used to just get up after the play, go back to the huddle, run the next play, rinse and repeat. Just shut up and play the game.

Reaction Score
That replay shows indispensable what a bad call it was

How was it a bad call? The replay shows he was looking right at the defender immediately after the catch even while he was getting up. Don’t know what he said, but it must have been some kind of taunt.

Sucks that something like that can be game-costing in that situation, but it is a rule. Hergy’s gotta know better, even in the heat of the moment.

Reaction Score

Yep. You don’t chase points that early.

Reaction Score
That replay shows indispensable what a bad call it was
It actually doesn't - it makes him look so completely dumb.

I just can't imagine the mindset that you catch that TD with no time left and instead of celebrating with a bunch of your teammates who are right there and move on to the next play, you'd rather lean over your opponent and talk trash.

Then again, we see NFL players crawl around on all 4's after a run-of-the-mill first down so maybe its just the sport as a whole where so much stupidity abounds.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Oh bull crap. Mayala did a really STUPID, selfish , childish, did I mention STUPID, idiotic play. For no other reason than to glorify how wonderful he is or how incompetent others are. Unfortunately, it seems the norm among players today, regardless of the level. Hate it. Yes, I’m old. Remember when players used to just get up after the play, go back to the huddle, run the next play, rinse and repeat. Just shut up and play the game.

Was it a dumb play? Yes. Was he the one that cost us the game? Nope. Does he wish he had the play back? I'm sure.

Reaction Score
Was it a dumb play? Yes. Was he the one that cost us the game? Nope. Does he wish he had the play back? I'm sure.
He was just as responsible if not more so than Tarbutt. I personally think more so because I don't trust Tarbutt with the game on the line to make a 35 yarder. I think we had a better pct chance to make the 2 then to have Tarbutt kick a 35 yarder, sadly.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
He was just as responsible if not more so than Tarbutt. I personally think more so because I don't trust Tarbutt with the game on the line to make a 35 yarder. I think we had a better pct chance to make the 2 then to have Tarbutt kick a 35 yarder, sadly.

We were put in that position by about a dozen or so moments. Not to mention the fact that he helped to put us in that position by changing up on his route to help out the scrambling Pindell. But to lay the blame of the entire game on this kid is beyond unreasonable, even if he is man enough to try to take the blame himself...

Reaction Score
We were put in that position by about a dozen or so moments. Not to mention the fact that he helped to put us in that position by changing up on his route to help out the scrambling Pindell. But to lay the blame of the entire game on this kid is beyond unreasonable, even if he is man enough to try to take the blame himself...
We had 100 plays from offense today, of course there are going to be many plays that lead to many results along the way. But to have the 100th (approx) offensive play end the way it did was inexcusable and took away our best chance to win.
If he and others on the team who would do the same thing learn from it, than I guess that's our silver lining. I'd have rather he knew better beforehand but oh well.

Reaction Score
How was it a bad call? The replay shows he was looking right at the defender immediately after the catch even while he was getting up. Don’t know what he said, but it must have been some kind of taunt.

Sucks that something like that can be game-costing in that situation, but it is a rule. Hergy’s gotta know better, even in the heat of the moment.

Watched it a few times, HM said maybe 4/5 words in less than 2 seconds. For a ref to call that taunting AT THAT MOMENT is beyond ridiculous.

But anyway if we went for 2, unless we gave the ball to Hopkins for a 2 yd dive, we would have lost.

So all in all I cheer the team, love HCRE, and look forward to next year and maybe a first presidential QB show.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
what would motivate a ref to throw a flag in that situation except an extreme taunt which this was not?

It’s what motivates referees on all those types of calls. How they grade out to keep getting games/moving up the ladder.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom