Next time just drop the ball Hergy | The Boneyard

Next time just drop the ball Hergy

Reaction Score
The season could not have ended any worse. A missed XP that was really a missed FG because Mayala had to make sure the first thing he did after the TD catch was to talk to the defender on the ground.

I mean better to do that then just celebrate with your team and get ready for the next play which would have been a fantastic 2 pt attempt to win.

But I'm just an old school guy who acts like he's 80. What do I know. I'm not cool enough to understand I guess.

Reaction Score
The season could not have ended any worse. A missed XP that was really a missed FG because Mayala had to make sure the first thing he did after the TD catch was to talk to the defender on the ground.

I mean better to do that then just celebrate with your team and get ready for the next play which would have been a fantastic 2 pt attempt to win.

But I'm just an old school guy who acts like he's 80. What do I know. I'm not cool enough to understand I guess.
Do we know for sure that is what happened and said by the players?

Reaction Score
Do we know for sure that is what happened and said by the players?

Exactly, Ref was far away from play. Maybe Malaya said "great try, great game, its OT now", or "Got you on that one, about time", or "Finally my QB throws a catch-able ball."

Taunting should be serious swearing or getting right up in someone's grill. That exchange was totally pedestrian. Ridiculous call by the Ref and he should be cited.

Reaction Score
Exactly, Ref was far away from play. Maybe Malaya said "great try, great game, its OT now", or "Got you on that one, about time."

Taunting should be serious swearing or getting right up in someone's grill. That exchange was totally pedestrian. Ridiculous call by the Ref and he should be cited.
Agreed, I never have seen Mayala jawing with defenders, always struck me as a let's get the job done kind of player. I'm shocked he got called for anything. I hope the coaches feel the same way and get the coach to say exactly what he heard and why he threw the flag.

Reaction Score
Hergy was standing over the guy who tackled him and was taunting him.

He knows the rules.
The flag had already been thrown when they showed him standing over the defender, the flag was thrown when Mayala was trying to get up.

Reaction Score
hopefully it's a learning experience and he never does it again. football is an emotional game and it makes you do things you otherwise wouldn't.

Reaction Score
For the love of Pete why does a referee inject himself into the end of a dramatic game because a kid is just slightly over-exuberant after scoring the potential winning TD as time is running out. We complain about a lot of things on this board but one of the biggest problems in college football right now is officials taking the fun and passion out of the game. The Ref was right there and could have stepped in or gave a warning but he had to reach back and inject himself into the last game if these kids season and careers. LET THEM DECIDE THE FRICKEN GAME NOT YOU. God forbid the AAC have another exciting finish.

Reaction Score
Hergy was standing over the guy who tackled him and was taunting him.

He knows the rules.

Or maybe he is religious or a fan of pulp fiction and said:

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Reaction Score
Clear as day on the replay. Hergy makes the catch, gets up, stands over the defender yapping at him. Easy flag.

But he didn't have to throw it in that situation. It was far from egregious. But this is the AAC of course.

Reaction Score
But he didn't have to throw it in that situation. It was far from egregious. But this is the AAC of course.
Didn't have to throw it, no. But it was a penalty. Kind of like how some officials swallow their whistle in the last few seconds of bball games even on obvious fouls.

Reaction Score
Mayala is one of our best players and he got fired up. Dumb yes, but I don’t care. We’ll learn.

Winning this game doesn’t change anything. A mental mistake lost us an away game against a team on our level. 3-9 or 4-8, honestly...whatever.

Reaction Score
Didn't have to throw it, no. But it was a penalty. Kind of like how some officials swallow their whistle in the last few seconds of bball games even on obvious fouls.

Not the same at all. And I don't blame Coach for using it as a teachable moment. It's not a call you argue. Just one that didn't need to be made. Was he worried our guy might do something worse next week?

Reaction Score

A penalty is a penalty, a foul is a foul, regardless of what the clock says. It's not that difficult a concept to understand.

Thanks I was totally confused until you explained it to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom