New top 25 (1/29) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New top 25 (1/29)

Reaction Score
I am in the skeptical about KSU without Lee camp but you can't drop them if they don't lose. Still, I won't have elevated them to #2, just kept them where they were.

Sure you can.
There is no constitutional amendment decreeing that a team's poll position can only decline when it loses.
A ranking is an opinion on how good teams are. Opinions can change.

Reaction Score
I am in the skeptical about KSU without Lee camp but you can't drop them if they don't lose. Still, I won't have elevated them to #2, just kept them where they were.

I'm with you on them being #2, but the post I was replying to was skeptical of their recent wins. I thought the Baylor win was without Lee and deserved some credit.

Reaction Score

Pretty close to my prediction!
I consider #11 a generous ranking. If we fall out of the top 16 for tourney seeding, we will not host Rounds 1 & 2 in CT for only the third time since 1989. Sent to Penn State in 2006, Old Dominion in 2010.

Reaction Score
I think their recent loss to tOSU may be why they aren't. Kansas State hasn't lost a game in some time if memory serves correct.

Kansas State holds a 1-1 record against Iowa this season, and that's the only loss on the season for the Wildcats. I'd give the edge to the Wildcats for the moment - knowing that they're likely to stumble in the coming weeks without Ayoka. If they survive unscathed without Ayoka against the stern tests they have coming up, they'll have earned #2 even more - but the only one loss team in the country deserves a benefit of a doubt at the moment.

Reaction Score
I consider #11 a generous ranking. If we fall out of the top 16 for tourney seeding, we will not host Rounds 1 & 2 in CT for only the third time since 1989. Sent to Penn State in 2006, Old Dominion in 2010.

Given the favourable metrics that UConn has such as the NET and the relatively easy Big East schedule ahead, it's hard to envision UConn falling outside the Top 16 unless you're chicken little and you believe the sky is falling.

Reaction Score

Barring a Big East loss (or two), UConn will remain in the top 16. Currently tied for 4th with the most Quad1 wins (6).

• 2006 & 2010 were pre-determined opening round years, because UConn has been a top 4 seed every year since 1994
  • UConn did not host in 2004 -- but a pre-determined site was in Bridgeport (host Fairfield)
  • In 1989-93, the host was the higher seeded team in that round. In all those years except 1991, UConn was a 1st round but not 2nd round host. In 91, Uconn got a first-round bye and hosted the 2nd round

Reaction Score
If you believe the ESPN shill Creme Virginia Tech is #17 net #16 and is hosting. As is Gonzaga at 19 & 13, Louisville is close AR 16 & 22. Don't get me started on how he puts top NET ranked teams below others in his bracket. I know these are only 2 of many criteria but he ought to have a reason.

Reaction Score
The reason is that the NET is not the sole criteria.
I believe I said that. Repeating the listed criteria at the bottom. We can see NET, strength of schedule, non conference record reasonably clearly. For those I mentioned SOS is VT 27 Gon 51 Lou 31 from Massey. These aren't very good compared to teams he put below them.
Bad losses
Common opponents
Competitive in losses
Conference record
Early performance versus late performance
Head-to-head
NET ranking
Non-conference record
Observable component
Overall record
Regional rankings
Significant wins
Strength of schedule

Reaction Score
Net is one of 14 criteria, and I assume it is the starting point for many folks on the committee. Gonzaga is ranked 13th in Net, has beaten the team ranked #2 in Net, and their two losses are to teams currently ranked #20 and #21 in the Net. Virginia Tech is currently Net ranked 16th, but I don't have time to dive deep into their resume. As a snapshot as of Jan 30th with ~6 weeks left in the regular season, seeding them both as 4-seeds seems reasonable.

Reaction Score
Net is one of 14 criteria, and I assume it is the starting point for many folks on the committee. Gonzaga is ranked 13th in Net, has beaten the team ranked #2 in Net, and their two losses are to teams currently ranked #20 and #21 in the Net. Virginia Tech is currently Net ranked 16th, but I don't have time to dive deep into their resume. As a snapshot as of Jan 30th with ~6 weeks left in the regular season, seeding them both as 4-seeds seems reasonable.
True, NET is one of 14 criteria but it is the only one that is truly objective. The others are so subjective as to allow the individual to decide whatever s/he wants.

I guess it is a rough guide that they should not depart Too far from. Of course, “ too far” leaves a lot of wiggle room. Is ten rank spots too far? 15? 20? 30?

Reaction Score
True, NET is one of 14 criteria but it is the only one that is truly objective.
So? It's a subjective process. Who said it wasn't?

NET is objective but by no means a perfectly accurate ranking of teams.

Again, I go back to the GPA example: do you automatically hire the candidate with the highest GPA or do you consider a range of factors, many subjective, about who is the right person for the job?

Reaction Score
Again, I go back to the GPA example: do you automatically hire the candidate with the highest GPA or do you consider a range of factors, many subjective, about who is the right person for the job?

Exactly. Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg dropped out of college. I would rather hire someone with a 3.5GPA and a wide berth of extra-curriculars and life experiences than someone book smart. I graduated with a 3.0 by the skin of my teeth and have done pretty well.

Computer rankings are only as good as those who designed it. FAFSA results are being delayed over a month due to problems in the software. As the programming saying goes, "GIGO"- garbage in, garbage out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
KSt-Okla and Marq-Crei in tight ones late in Q3
MD taking a bite out of IU's big lead but still down double-digits
Illinois leading bipolar Michigan by 10

Reaction Score
Marquette on the verge of falling to 5-5 in the BE and 4-5 in their last 9 after a 12-0 start.

Their two toughest remaining games (Vill & StJ) are at home, so they could go on a nice run to finish the season, but gotta be a morale crusher in Milwaukee.

Reaction Score
2 KSt about to go down to Okla. I knew Iowa shouldve been ranked 2nd.

Reaction Score
True, NET is one of 14 criteria but it is the only one that is truly objective. The others are so subjective as to allow the individual to decide whatever s/he wants.

I guess it is a rough guide that they should not depart Too far from. Of course, “ too far” leaves a lot of wiggle room. Is ten rank spots too far? 15? 20? 30?
NCAA just updated their SOS for NET and Warren Nolan published it. It didn't change Uconn but did shift several teams. For example ND moved from 10 to 8. I don't understand how NET SOS is determined, it's far from a Massey value? (And yes it's just one of 14 criteria.)

1. South Carolina
2. Stanford
3. Connecticut
4. Texas
5. Iowa
6. Utah
7. UCLA
8. Notre Dame
9. Kansas State
10. North Carolina State

Reaction Score
NCAA just updated their SOS for NET and Warren Nolan published it. It didn't change Uconn but did shift several teams. For example ND moved from 10 to 8. I don't understand how NET SOS is determined, it's far from a Massey value? (And yes it's just one of 14 criteria.)

1. South Carolina
2. Stanford
3. Connecticut
4. Texas
5. Iowa
6. Utah
7. UCLA
8. Notre Dame
9. Kansas State
10. North Carolina State
That can’t be the NET SOS. No way we have played the strongest schedule

Online statistics