New top 25 (1/29) | The Boneyard

New top 25 (1/29)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Big head scratcher is Baylor holding at 13.
Hard to drop them based on play this week (barely losing to #2 Kansas State) and beating Oklahoma State by 12.

USC is in free fall with another loss to an unranked team at home, Notre Dame also lost at home to a lesser ranked team so hard to see them jumping over Baylor based on that.

How did Gonzaga drop 2 places to 19th without losing a game? Net has them 13!

Agree with this--they're just a few points behind the #16 ranked team though, very small gap there.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Big head scratcher is Baylor holding at 13.
This section of the rankings became super-soft due to multiple teams losing. That's why Indiana jumped 4 spots after simply beating Purdue and Northwestern.

Reaction Score
How did Gonzaga drop 2 places to 19th without losing a game? Net has them 13!
I would've hoped that UConn being 3 in the NET would show people that the NET is not the be-all, end-all.

Think of jobs: do you automatically hire the candidate with 4.0 GPA, and send everyone else home? The 4.0 is a great attribute, but it's not the sole criteria to evaluate someone.

Reaction Score
I was being sarcastic with my reference to Net. I consider Stanford one of the best 8 teams in the country at the moment, but I don't think they are the 2nd best team- which is what Net and Massey have them. AP ranking of them 4th is probably about right in my mind.

As I post a couple times a year, Net is only one of the 14 criterion the committee uses.

Reaction Score
I would've hoped that UConn being 3 in the NET would show people that the NET is not the be-all, end-all.

Think of jobs: do you automatically hire the candidate with 4.0 GPA, and send everyone else home? The 4.0 is a great attribute, but it's not the sole criteria to evaluate someone.
There is no be-all, end-all and never can be. The computers have some bias built into their algorithms, but the human polls have shifting and inconsistent human biases.

The computers don’t have a “ roster depth” calculation or “ injury reduction” like the humans. The humans scalp UConn on that. The polls don’t know it. Still, I’m surprised that the humans didn’t hold K-State back based on Lee’s absence for a few more weeks.

Well, we have a committee that adjusts the NET

Reaction Score
I was being sarcastic with my reference to Net.
The problem is that there are people, including on this board, who believe the NET is the sole criteria, and argue that Charlie Creme is merely pushing an "agenda" when he doesn't use the NET rankings to seed the teams.

Reaction Score
The problem is that there are people, including on this board, who believe the NET is the sole criteria, and argue that Charlie Creme is merely pushing an "agenda" when he doesn't use the NET rankings to seed the teams.
As you know they list a bunch of factors and NET is one of them as is:
Bad losses
Common opponents
Competitive in losses
Conference record
Early performance versus late performance
Head-to-head
NET ranking
Non-conference record
Observable component
Overall record
Regional rankings
Significant wins
Strength of schedule

My gripe with Creme is when he ignores many of the criteria and does what he wants. It will be interesting & important to see what he does this week.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
And AGAIN...North Carolina does just enough to stay ranked! I thought a 15-point loss to a team below 0.500 would do it but the media continues its fascination with all things powder blue.

I will leave it to the Wolfpack Women to push them out of the top 25 Thursday night.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And AGAIN...North Carolina does just enough to stay ranked! I thought a 15-point loss to a team below 0.500 would do it but the media continues its fascination with all things powder blue.
Even if NC State wins on Thursday, UNC has a home game against Virginia Tech on Sunday and would likely stay ranked with a win.

Reaction Score

I will leave it to the Wolfpack Women to push them out of the top 25 Thursday night.
Last weeks 26 (Marq) and 28 (IaSt) both lost, so hard to find teams to rank.
Princeton's 28 points this week is the least all season to make it in the poll.

I do think voters are sleeping on Mich St, Okla, Penn St

Reaction Score
If the AP poll determined the seedings, we might get this:

ALB 1: SC - OhioSt - UConn - USC
ALB 2: KSt - UCLA - Indi - Lou
POR3: Iowa - Colo - Tex - ND
POR4: Stan - NCSt - LSU - Bay

Reaction Score

GO PACK...beat Heels!!!

Reaction Score
If the AP poll determined the seedings, we might get this:

ALB 1: SC - OhioSt - UConn - USC
ALB 2: KSt - UCLA - Indi - Lou
POR3: Iowa - Colo - Tex - ND
POR4: Stan - NCSt - LSU - Bay
You do a good job reporting!!!

Reaction Score
I was being sarcastic with my reference to Net. I consider Stanford one of the best 8 teams in the country at the moment, but I don't think they are the 2nd best team- which is what Net and Massey have them. AP ranking of them 4th is probably about right in my mind.

As I post a couple times a year, Net is only one of the 14 criterion the committee uses.
Not necessarily disagreeing with your assessment - but out of curiosity who do you consider the 2nd best team in the country right now?

In my mind it’s South Carolina and then … well there are about 10 teams that are all kind of similar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom