New Mexico State & Liberty Model - what can we learn? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

New Mexico State & Liberty Model - what can we learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
so i take it that there is nothing to learn lol - this post turned into a personal Liberty hate fest.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No, I do not. It is not a real school, it’s a football team with a cult attached. No real university should have anything to do with them.
My wife graduated from their with a real degree in science, but you stick to your hatred of the school

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It's not a really a political issue, it's a morality issue. They are also a fake school closer to university of Phoenix and Grand canyon University than UConn.
That is an opinion not a fact. Do you say that for other religious universities? My guess, no.

Reaction Score
two programs i find supremely interesting - formerly on the edges of the FBS relevance world, formerly INDEPENDENT also, and now both making their strides (huge ones, at that) in the right direction for their programs.

Liberty in particular is worthy of a harvard business school case study (unreal amounts of money spent on football, but they also won games, which as we know $ doesn't automaticaly = wins, so clearly they're doing something ELSE right besides spending).

I suspect Liberty, regardless of their upcoming fiesta bowl outcome, will be in the P4/5 in the next 3-4 years. They're spending too much money and winning too many games (including against P4/5 teams) to be ignored. It's obvious, to me at least, that they're laser focused as an athletic dept/trustee board, to get an invite (Big 12, most likely IMO).

NMSU will probably remain G5 for the future, but probably the more comparable program to us, considering recent losing history. Jerry Kill is now gone, so we'll see how/if it sustains. But regardless, they're showing us that it is 100% possible to win in FBS as an "outsider" program that comes from where UConn is currently (indep/low talent).

What can we learn from these 2 programs?
I'm not asking for a UConn fiesta bowl, even though sheeeeeeeesh that would be heaven.

But it's not insane to ask for consistent 7-5 & 8-4 seasons, maybe even a 10-2 if we're lucky from time to time.

I learned that if you follow the NMSU model that if the coach retires then the entire roster enters the portal.

Reaction Score
Who knew we’d get to a point where our model for success are 2 roadkill programs.

Want to be successful - put football first. In everything you do as a program.

And Liberty, NMSU, BYU, Army, Navy and now UMass would rather be in conferences.

They must know something that we don’t.

Reaction Score
So is BYU

1) And look how long it took for a top conference to invite BYU. Even after Ty Detmer, Steve Young, Danny Ainge put a favorable shine on the school.
2) Compared to Liberty, BYU looks like a mainstream university.

Reaction Score
And Liberty, NMSU, BYU, Army, Navy and now UMass would rather be in conferences.

I take it you were a hostage this summer and missed a few realignment rumors

Reaction Score
The stadium has cabanas! That beats indoor luxury suites.

"At the South end zone, 23 cabanas will be added above a newly graded berm with additional space for students and overflow seating. Complete with seating for eight and a roof to keep the sun and weather out, each cabana will be furnished with a TV, fan, heater, and waiter service."

View attachment 94518
Do they have pool boys too?

Reaction Score
That is an opinion not a fact. Do you say that for other religious universities? My guess, no.
Nothing to do with religion, just a fact. Only 15% of their enrollment is people going to physical classes, compared to UConn at 70%. This is even more stark with their graduate students, at only 3% (UConn is at 63%). They also have some questionable rules regarding student life but that's neither here or there.

Reaction Score
Nothing to do with religion, just a fact. Only 15% of their enrollment is people going to physical classes, compared to UConn at 70%. This is even more stark with their graduate students, at only 3% (UConn is at 63%). They also have some questionable rules regarding student life but that's neither here or there.
10 years ago that may mean something but times have changed. People work remotely. Taking classes remotely is a piece of cake and will likely continue to become more common. Besides, percentages don't mean much when Liberty still has 15k students on campus.

Regarding rules on campus, I'm not sure which are questionable if the students choosing to enroll are fine with them.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

FFS this again?

We, too, would rather be in an appropriate all sports conference.

The list above is able to find one. None are available to us now.

Reaction Score
No, I do not. It is not a real school, it’s a football team with a cult attached. No real university should have anything to do with them.
who's the cult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak