NCAA Matchups to Watch | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA Matchups to Watch

Reaction Score
Lawdy Miss Claudy, Myah Selland is good!

The officials tried to give it to USC, but Selland had the last word.
Watching at the end of 4Q with SDSU ahead by three it looked pretty clear that the Trojan player driving to the rim fumbled the ball out of bounds under the basket. The ref on the baseline signaled USC ball but with about 15 secs left the refs went to review it. While the refs deliberated my streaming video froze. After restarting the stream USC Littleton had just tied the game with a three point fg. So I assume USC got awarded possession after the review. It looked quite obvious that SDSU did not touch the ball that went out of bounds. So can anyone here explain how the refs awarded the ball to USC?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Watching at the end of 4Q with SDSU ahead by three it looked pretty clear that the Trojan player driving to the rim fumbled the ball out of bounds under the basket. The ref on the baseline signaled USC ball but with about 15 secs left the refs went to review it. While the refs deliberated my streaming video froze. After restarting the stream USC Littleton had just tied the game with a three point fg. So I assume USC got awarded possession after the review. It looked quite obvious that SDSU did not touch the ball that went out of bounds. So can anyone here explain how the refs awarded the ball to USC?
Yes, USC was awarded possession. I agree, it was clear that none of the Jackrabbit players touched the ball. I feel like the officials were in an alternate universe.

The Hokies shouldn't take the Jacks lightly. USD made it to the round of 16 last year, SDSU certainly has that potential this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
My goodness, Ole Miss is abusing Gonzaga. How do Fortier's teams look completely unprepared for the post season as often as not? They have had several lackluster 1st round exits, but this one is taking the cake.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
BERUBEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

If and when Coach Auriemma decides to ride off into the sunset (hoping not for another 5-10 years) and the powers that be decide to keep it in the family, I really, really hope Coach Berube is the one they pick to replace the goat and hopefully she'd be interested.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Georgia/Iowa Sunday could be a nailbiter. Georgia is a classic match-up problem for Iowa: physicality and quickness vs finesse. If Georgia can make this game as ugly as Iowa's football team tries to make its contests, it truly could go either way. If Iowa can rebound and avoid fouling, their beauty game will prevail. As an Iowa fan I'd sign up for a one point win right now and move on, no need for style points. If Iowa survives, this will be a great game to prepare them for what's ahead. Here's to an injury-free battle!

Reaction Score
UConn?
I'd agree, azfan. The Huskies play really aggressive defense and contained Caitlin as much as is probably possible last fall.

Georgia plays physical basketball, but isn't in UConn's league for talent. If Caitlin keeps her wits about her, I'd expect a fairly comfortable Iowa win.

Reaction Score
Iowa should win by a relatively good margin but Georgia is a feisty team who can make games ugly and close. Lots of veterans, including some of her former standouts at UCF.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ugly is a euphemism, oddly enough, for Georgia’s style of play. Just like “physical.” They play a nasty game, lots of holding and cheap shots — swiping at the ball and hitting the player. The last time UConn played them — when they were known as UCF — it was nasty. Playing Texas is a bit like this, though Georgia is more mean spirited.

Reaction Score
Ugly is a euphemism, oddly enough, for Georgia’s style of play. Just like “physical.” They play a nasty game, lots of holding and cheap shots — swiping at the ball and hitting the player. The last time UConn played them — when they were known as UCF — it was nasty. Playing Texas is a bit like this, though Georgia is more mean spirited.
Yea good luck to Clark. She’s going to be their number one target. If Georgia is able to control tempo and make this a rock fight I don’t see Iowa surviving.

Reaction Score
Georgia/Iowa Sunday could be a nailbiter. Georgia is a classic match-up problem for Iowa: physicality and quickness vs finesse. If Georgia can make this game as ugly as Iowa's football team tries to make its contests, it truly could go either way. If Iowa can rebound and avoid fouling, their beauty game will prevail. As an Iowa fan I'd sign up for a one point win right now and move on, no need for style points. If Iowa survives, this will be a great game to prepare them for what's ahead. Here's to an injury-free battle!
Perhaps a head shaker? Iowa by double digits wire to wire.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Princeton outscored NC State 9-0 in the last approx. 6 minutes to win by 1. Wolfpack couldn't even get a shot off with the final possession.
Woke up to see the replay. Princeton's last play was well executed. NCSU's issues stem perhaps from going almost 3 mins without scoring at the beginning of the 4Q (9:38-6:44), and then didn't score in the final 5:41 of the game. Impressive that three of Princeton's starters had 4 fouls and finished the game. 13 steals and 9 TO for the Tigers vs 5 & 20 for NCSU.

Reaction Score
NC St was hurt by the injury to Diamond Johnson. But it really feels to me like we cast a shadow over their entire season when we beat them last November. It’s like they never got their mojo back from that loss.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Woke up to see the replay. Princeton's last play was well executed. NCSU's issues stem perhaps from going almost 3 mins without scoring at the beginning of the 4Q (9:38-6:44), and then didn't score in the final 5:41 of the game. Impressive that three of Princeton's starters had 4 fouls and finished the game. 13 steals and 9 TO for the Tigers vs 5 & 20 for NCSU.

State choked like a pack of dogs (wolves)

Reaction Score
How would UConn do against the tOSU press? I mean, it's clear that teams without a strong presence at pg or a big post presence is vulnerable to this, and the temptation to dribble toward the sideline at midcourt is hard to overcome. Inês succumbed to this a few times against Princeton. In previous years, Nika did too.

It's a lot harder to press teams with really confident ball handlers. Christyn was like this, practically press insurance, since no one ever got the ball away from her. Heck, she'd put the ball behind her back to break through traps and there was nothing anyone could do about it. Paige and Azzi are the same way. Once they have the ball, it's just too dangerous to try to trap them, their handles are too good, their passing vision, and they don't get flustered -- though Azzi did that one time late in the Stanford game last year.

But the real insurance against the press this year is Dorka and Aaliyah. They've already done this a few times this year, ready to get a pass at midcourt, either one can dribble from there or pass into the post. Either one could beat an unwary pressing team that got its spacing just a little bit off all the way to the basket.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Miami hangs on to beat Oklahoma St. by 1. I'm happy for the Cavinders. They were really good for 3 years at Fresno St. but never got to the Tourney. Now they have and survive to play another game.

edit--Haley led them in scoring, rebounding and assists today

Reaction Score
I rooted for Toledo over Iowa St because they're the underdog. But a Tennessee-Iowa St matchup would have been more interesting.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Big 12 yet to win a game as MAC champ Toledo defeats Big12 Champ
I knew they had a couple losses today, but didn't realize they have yet to get a win.

Reaction Score
Alabama already up 12-0 less than 5 min into the game. B. Davis is really a handful to deal with. I guess the best bet for any type of deep run in the NCAAT from Big 12 will be Texas?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom