NCAA Matchups to Watch | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Matchups to Watch

Reaction Score
I don't think South Carolina will lose to UCLA, but if Rice, Jones, Osborne and Bessoir all play well a the same time they can make it competitive against any team in the country.
And if they don't all play well throughout the game well the 20 loss ASU Sun Devils made up a 19-point deficit against the Bruins and had a chance to beat them with 20 seconds left in the game. It would be a colossal upset and really amazing if UCLA stays within 25 points of the presumptive national champion.

Reaction Score
Louisville fan here. Posters on the Louisville boards are totally overlooking Drake and are going right to a rematch with Texas. I'm impressed with what I've seen from Drake. Doesn't look like a gimmee to me...not even close.
IMO this was one of the hardest 1st round choices when I was filling out my main bracket. I ended up choosing Louisville, but I have very low confidence in that pick...

Reaction Score
Congrats to Iowa.

South Carolina will not sell out their first two (18,000)
Really? That's both surprising and disappointing. I'm trying to get up the energy to drive from Flagstaff over to Albuquerque to watch The Lumberjacks take on the wandering Lobos in the Pit.

Reaction Score
When they're shooting the ball the way they're capable of, Drake is a problem. Just ask my Belmont Bruins, who came into the MVC tournament finals with a 16-game win streak and got spanked from the beginning. On top of that, Drake is just fun to watch. Still, I think a good defensive team can shut down the three-point line. Is that Louisville, though?
They've shown significant improvements late in the season. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reaction Score
And if they don't all play well throughout the game well the 20 loss ASU Sun Devils made up a 19-point deficit against the Bruins and had a chance to beat them with 20 seconds left in the game. It would be a colossal upset and really amazing if UCLA stays within 25 points of the presumptive national champion.
UCLA already only lost to South Carolina by 9. I don't think staying within 25 points of South Carolina will be a colossal upset. WInning would be a colossal upset and they certainly could lose by 25 but not lose by 25 wouldn't be surprising.

Reaction Score
Really? That's both surprising and disappointing. I'm trying to get up the energy to drive from Flagstaff over to Albuquerque to watch The Lumberjacks take on the wandering Lobos in the Pit.
Friday’s game for SC is a 2ish afternoon tip against a team that they’ll beat anywhere from 40 to 60 points - they’ll still probably have 10k+ in attendance. For Sunday, they’ll draw probably 12-15k. Assuming they make sweet 16/elite 8 in Greenville- those will be close to sellouts (15k) . Those are still really fab attendance numbers .

Reaction Score
Colonial Life Arena also seats around 18,000. South Carolina could have more fans than these other venues and not reach capacity.

Reaction Score
"VanDerveer said “people don’t want to see football or rugby,” about Texas’ style of play."

Spicy! I like it
basketball wives drinking GIF

Seriously, I’m not a fan of that style of basketball either, however I’m looking forward to a potential match with Texas vs Louisville as both teams employ this style.

Reaction Score
oh, we'll have 12,000= or so for the first two games but we won't fill 18,000 for team number 64 and whatever follows in the next game.

But then with the Sweet6 and Elite 8 (assuming we make both) our fans will fill every seat "up the road" 100 miles in Greenville.

Reaction Score
UCLA already only lost to South Carolina by 9. I don't think staying within 25 points of South Carolina will be a colossal upset. WInning would be a colossal upset and they certainly could lose by 25 but not lose by 25 wouldn't be surprising.
To quote my sister in law, we violently agree.

Reaction Score
Only Iowa, MD and ND really lived up to their billing so far. Lots of the high seeds seem to be underperforming in games that should be a lot more lopsided. It's not that they're not winning decisively. But they aren't scoring as much as I'd expect. SC scores 72, VT might not make it to 60, LSU hovering around 54 mid-4th quarter. We'll see how Stanford and Utah do. These are weak performances against smaller, slower teams.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Iowa-Georgia is an interesting 2nd round matchup. Georgia is defensive and extremely physical which could affect Clark depending on how the game is called. I don’t think she’s played against a team like Georgia this year.

Reaction Score
Only Iowa, MD and ND really lived up to their billing so far. Lots of the high seeds seem to be underperforming in games that should be a lot more lopsided. It's not that they're not winning decisively. But they aren't scoring as much as I'd expect. SC scores 72, VT might not make it to 60, LSU hovering around 54 mid-4th quarter. We'll see how Stanford and Utah do. These are weak performances against smaller, slower teams.
Gamecocks played the entire roster (14), 11 players with double digit minutes, highest playing time 24 minutes. Not certain I draw any conclusions from any element of their game other than they're the presumptive national champion.

Reaction Score
Iowa-Georgia is an interesting 2nd round matchup. Georgia is defensive and extremely physical which could affect Clark depending on how the game is called. I don’t think she’s played against a team like Georgia this year.
UConn?

Reaction Score
oh, we'll have 12,000= or so for the first two games but we won't fill 18,000 for team number 64 and whatever follows in the next game.

But then with the Sweet6 and Elite 8 (assuming we make both) our fans will fill every seat "up the road" 100 miles in Greenville.
No attendance yet posted for today's game!

Reaction Score
I agree. Virginia Tech and LSU especially looked underwhelming. They both looked like they only had 2-3 players each head and shoulders above their competition. Maybe off days.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maybe a bit underwhelming, but Virginia Tech held their opponent to 33 points (!) and won by 25. Hardly squeaking by. And South Carolina won by 32 and held their opponent to 40.

Reaction Score
Maybe a bit underwhelming, but Virginia Tech held their opponent to 33 points (!) and won by 25. Hardly squeaking by. And South Carolina won by 32 and held their opponent to 40.
Who said anything about squeaking by? I said there were only three players on Virginia Tech that looked any good. Not something you expect from a one seed.

Reaction Score
VT also played a team that knows their offense inside and out because they run the same one. I think that may have contributed to the low score. Or maybe VT was just channeling Duke?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom