NC St #1? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NC St #1?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
In this type of season I think the better defensive teams stand the best chance of winning a championship. I have only seen one of NC games but have not seen a better defensive team. They play well together and right now look to be as good or better than anyone. Being healthy and getting a few breaks might be the difference this year.
I know you did not realize it but using NC instead if NCst will drive NCst fans crazy. You must follow North Carolina with State. NC does not have a good defensive team.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Of course they are the Number 1 team at the moment. When does the AP ever vote for the "best" team as the Number 1 team? Isn't it partially a popularity vote too?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not sure why people keep adding the caveat "not the best team". Proof is in the pudding. NC State was clearly the better team in the home stretch of two true road games, one at South Carolina and now at Louisville.

Reaction Score
Not sure why people keep adding the caveat "not the best team". Proof is in the pudding. NC State was clearly the better team in the home stretch of two true road games, one at South Carolina and now at Louisville.
It's the catch phrase du jour, I only followed suit. :D

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

State also played that game without F Jada Boyd who was injured. She had 16pts and 9 rebounds off of the bench last night.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I know you did not realize it but using NC instead if NCst will drive NCst fans crazy. You must follow North Carolina with State. NC does not have a good defensive team.

That mistake is liable to get someone stabbed here on Tobacco Road :eek:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What more does a team have to do the gain number one status? North Carolina State has beaten two number one teams and one on their home court. The only game they lost was in overtime when missing their best player. If UConn had done that or Stanford, South Carolina, or Baylor, I believe their fans would be saying they deserved the number one ranking.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For entertainment purposes only

1612302056629.png

Reaction Score
I have no problem with them being ranked #1 at this time. There are no other undefeated major teams and they knocked of the current #1. We'll see if they can hold on to it.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I have no problem with them being ranked #1 at this time. There are no other undefeated major teams and they knocked of the current #1. We'll see if they can hold on to it.

They have three maybe four tough games left. A home and home against the light blue team from Chapel Hill... a trip to Winston Salem to face off against a feisty, pesky, rival in Wake Forest. The last game of the season is a trip to face a talented yet enigmatic Syracuse squad.

Remember this. Two years ago... State started 21-0... and went to Chapel Hill and got beat. Last year they started 14-0... played CH... and got beat. Their opponent on Sunday..... you guessed it. Throw out the record books when its Flagship vs Land Grant..... especially when those schools are in the same neighborhood.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They (NC State) already beat them on SC's home court, why would a neutral site be an advantage ?
Because SCar has more games under their belt and their young guards are working better both together and with their forwards. Also Boston is playing better right now. That's why.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's the question of what are the pollsters looking at for value to a team's season: is it head-to-head, is it overall schedule strength to wins-losses ratio, is it good wins versus bad losses?

USC has perhaps the toughest schedule strength of all teams: they are #1 in SOS, #1 in ELO, #1 in RPI, and #3 in NET. Their only loss thus far is by 8 pts to #4 12-1 NC St.

NC St. has the current #21 SOS. Their non-conference SOS is currently 118th. They have an overtime loss by 12 pts to a 9-7 un-ranked Virginia Tech. They had just barely beaten Virginia Tech by 2 pts at home 4 days earlier. Yes, they didn't have Cunane.

USC has played 15 games thus far. Their 14 wins have come against opponents who are a combined 126-64 (.663) on the season at this point - they played 12-4 Alabama twice. NC St. has played 13 games thus far: their 12 wins have come against opponents who are a combined 86-56 (.606). They've played 9-7 Virginia Tech and 5-7 Boston College twice.

The question is how much do the pollsters place on NC St. missing a top player for their Louisville game: this season with the covid, there have been most all programs that have had to deal with key players being out of lineups due to quarantining, of entire games being canceled and postponed at last minutes, of team's practice schedules being uprooted and scrambled, or shut down completely.

The game they lost to VT on the 28th was a rescheduling of the game in a slot that originally was set for Duke. The game prior to that vs VT that they won by 2 pts on the 24th was the first game the Wolfpack played in 3 weeks, so even WITH Cunane, had they lost they would have had a valid excuse for not playing well. But most all teams have this excuse to varying degrees this season. Can the pollsters weigh and consider all of this?

Perhaps the pollsters ranked USC above NC St. not due to any head-to-head, but due to the OVERALL weight of each team's schedule strength, and found USC's schedule to be more challenging. Perhaps they felt that USC's single loss was not as "bad" of a loss as NC St's single loss.

Who can say for sure: Tennessee has beaten Kentucky, Arkansas, and Indiana, and all 3 of those teams are ranked higher than the Lady Vols.....in BOTH polls. And each of those teams have more losses than UT does.

UCLA has 2 losses - one of them to Stanford - but both losses are to top-10 ranked opponents (one of those was to Stanford), and UCLA is ranked ABOVE Stanford in both polls - Stanford has one of its 2 losses to an un-ranked 5-8 Colorado.

I imagine that each and every team's ranking position has its own unique story-line.....

Last edited:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
It's the question of what are the pollsters looking at for value to a team's season: is it head-to-head, is it overall schedule strength to wins-losses ratio, is it good wins versus bad losses?

USC has perhaps the toughest schedule strength of all teams: they are #1 in SOS, #1 in ELO, #1 in RPI, and #3 in NET. Their only loss thus far is by 8 pts to #4 12-1 NC St.

NC St. has the current #21 SOS. Their non-conference SOS is currently 118th. They have an overtime loss by 12 pts to a 9-7 un-ranked Virginia Tech. They had just barely beaten Virginia Tech by 2 pts at home 4 days earlier. Yes, they didn't have Cunane.

USC has played 15 games thus far. Their 14 wins have come against opponents who are a combined 126-64 (.663) on the season at this point - they played 12-4 Alabama twice. NC St. has played 13 games thus far: their 12 wins have come against opponents who are a combined 86-56 (.606). They've played 9-7 Virginia Tech and 5-7 Boston College twice.

The question is how much do the pollsters place on NC St. missing a top player for their Louisville game: this season with the covid, there have been most all programs that have had to deal with key players being out of lineups due to quarantining, of entire games being canceled and postponed at last minutes, of team's practice schedules being uprooted and scrambled, or shut down completely.

The game they lost to VT on the 28th was a rescheduling of the game in a slot that originally was set for Duke. The game prior to that vs VT that they won by 2 pts on the 24th was the first game the Wolfpack played in 3 weeks, so even WITH Cunane, had they lost they would have had a valid excuse for not playing well. But most all teams have this excuse to varying degrees this season. Can the pollsters weigh and consider all of this?

Perhaps the pollsters ranked USC above NC St. not due to any head-to-head, but due to the OVERALL weight of each team's schedule strength, and found USC's schedule to be more challenging. Perhaps they felt that USC's single loss was not as "bad" of a loss as NC St's single loss.

Who can say for sure: Tennessee has beaten Kentucky, Arkansas, and Indiana, and all 3 of those teams are ranked higher than the Lady Vols.....in BOTH polls. And each of those teams have more losses than UT does.

UCLA has 2 losses - one of them to Stanford - but both losses are to top-10 ranked opponents (one of those was to Stanford), and UCLA is ranked ABOVE Stanford in both polls - Stanford has one of its 2 losses to an un-ranked 5-8 Colorado.

I imagine that each and every team's ranking position has its own unique story-line.....
You make some valid points and I don't disagree with anything you've said...except for one thing I'll address in a moment. I just want to point out, as you mention, that the January 24th game was the team's first in three weeks. Two starters (Kayla Jones and Kai Crutchfield) had just been released to play that day as conclusion to their COVID protocols and Camille Hobby, off the bench, had also just been released to play. Jones and Crutchfield combined for 42 points (22 and 20) and we needed every one of them to beat an efficient VT squad that day.

Less than 96 hours later, we had to play that same team again, and for the second time, without our main centerpiece. In her place, Camille Hobby played the best game of her career in the Red and White; Jones and Crutchfield combined for 13 points and both were gassed by the end of the game. I suspect fatigue set in and that those two hadn't fully recovered from the extensive effort they put forth the previous Sunday. As it was, we did force OT but just didn't have the legs left in OT to put up much of a fight for an extra 5 minutes.

You do, however, make the same judgement error that other BY posters have in dismissing VT because of their record. I have already documented in several other threads that their 7 ACC losses were by 6, 10, 5, 4, 2, 3 and 2 points...a little research would reveal that VT has three perimeter shooters at 40+% for the season...so they have been in just about every game and sadly for them, had always seemed to fall on the "bad" side prior to getting over the hump and defeating NC State. Would we have won if Cunane had been in there? I don't know; Kitley still got her points...but it was our inability to stop Aisha Sheppard that doomed NC State; after holding her scoreless in the first half, she scored 28 in the 2nd half and OT. Again, I blame the lack of conditioning brought about by the COVID break...but as you mentioned, all teams have had to go through something similar. NC State had nothing left in the tank by the end of our second go-round with VT within 4 days.

(I really hope Virginia Tech can get a bid to the national tournament so other teams can battle them and see what the weapons the Hokies have to offer.)

Then, NC State recovered sufficiently to defeat Louisville, but with the return of our main post player.

It's just kind of interesting that NC State has now beaten two #1s, on each #1's home floor, (the first team in the modern era of WBB to do that in the regular season) and yet, we look up in the polls at one of the teams we defeated. And in the media poll, we're behind BOTH of them (although that will likely be corrected in the next AP poll, provided we can get by arch nemesis UNC on Sunday).

NC State needs just three more weeks at #2 in the AP poll to become the team that has held the #2 position for more weeks than any other without ever attaining a #1 ranking (a record currently held by Stephen F. Austin). Being this close to that notoriety, I don't know if I really want NC State to top the AP poll until we pass the Ladyjacks for that "bridesmaid-but-never-the-bride" record.

Doesn't really matter. Polls are really just conversation pieces. What will really matter is who cuts down the nets in April at the end of the national tournament. Your team has a great chance to win it all. This might be the best team NC State has ever fielded in WCBB. Other teams have great chances, too. The national tournament could be one of the most exciting in years, with no really dominant team and lots of contenders (and I do believe NC State is a contender this year...not a pretender)...plus, the upset here or there that's bound to occur...all wrapped around the unknown of which players...or what teams...might be severely impacted by the looming threat of COVID.

Reaction Score
They don't need that - they just need the tournament to be cancelled "Back to Back" banners coming to SC!
Most likely back to back wins over UConn.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Meh. NC State is good to me. That team that beat Louisville was scary. They’re my number 1 team right now.

NC State looks and plays like SC in a lot of ways, I think that’s another reason why it’s a chest match when they play. Their rosters are ordered similarly. I hope there’s a rematch in the FF if both teams make it.

Reaction Score
NC State has shooters 1-5, rebounds, plays defense, pass well, have multiple players that can take you one on one or get their own shot. Yes they are vulnerable, but “not the best team,” I disagree. Or at least the team that played Louisville is gonna be tough to beat.

Reaction Score
Boy that banner sure got you guys triggered. ?. WTH that bothers anybody is beyond me but whatever. We will see Monday night whether that #1 ranking will hold with SC. We still have games at Tennessee and at TAMU and a home game left with Arkansas, so if we keep that spot it will have been earned. Gonna be a fun rest of the season and tournament.

There are probably going to be at least 8 teams that could win it all. The key is going to be seeding especially since everything will be played at a neutral site. My top 8 are SC, UConn, NC State, Stanford, Louisville, Baylor, UCLA, and maybe Arizona. Who are some spoiler teams?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Boy that banner sure got you guys triggered. ?. WTH that bothers anybody is beyond me but whatever. We will see Monday night whether that #1 ranking will hold with SC. We still have games at Tennessee and at TAMU and a home game left with Arkansas, so if we keep that spot it will have been earned. Gonna be a fun rest of the season and tournament.

There are probably going to be at least 8 teams that could win it all. The key is going to be seeding especially since everything will be played at a neutral site. My top 8 are SC, UConn, NC State, Stanford, Louisville, Baylor, UCLA, and maybe Arizona. Who are some spoiler teams?
Just amused that people put up pretend championship banners. We know what real ones look like.

1612581678323.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom