Most hated coaching decisions in sports? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Most hated coaching decisions in sports?

Reaction Score
Manny Ramirez would do the same thing. Always blew my mind.
There’s a reason they are great players and had the careers they did. A lot of times they are looking for a specific pitch in a specific location if it’s not there they don’t even bat an eye. The best hitters have that plan for strike 1 and strike 2 once there are 2 strikes the game plan changes

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Some other nfl ones I hate back when I really paid more attention to the nfl

- Jeff fisher calling a play designed short of the goal line in the sb

- Denny green sitting on the ball with one time out with the greatest offense of all time at his disposal in the 98 nccg.

the Q

Reaction Score
There’s a reason they are great players and had the careers they did. A lot of times they are looking for a specific pitch in a specific location if it’s not there they don’t even bat an eye. The best hitters have that plan for strike 1 and strike 2 once there are 2 strikes the game plan changes

Thank you. It’s called “pitch hunting”

The best know the pitchers just as well as the pitchers know themselves

Reaction Score
The runner sacrificing himself by taking the extra base to draw the throw away from home plate, getting thrown out so the other runner can score. It seems like 95% of the time it was unnecessary and that the runner would have scored anyway. I appreciate it is a good play at times but it shouldn't be automatic.

Reaction Score
Already mentioned with Snell senario, but pulling starters based on pre-game strategy. Just use your eyeballs and not the computer sheets. It's not that hard to tell when a guy us dominating.

Starting the prevent defense (or prevent victory) too early in a football game.I have seen so many games where a teams defense is dominating by putting pressure on the qb. Some coaches start the prevent too early and it allows the other team to zip down the field and either tie it up or outright win the game.

Lastly, McNamara keeping Buckner in the game against the Mets, even though he had put Stapleton in the game for defense the entire second half of the year. Just wanted Buckner, after a long good career, to be on the field when they clinched.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
banging on a trash can with the lid to communicate to the batter aboot the next pitch.
it's the 21st century. planting a tiny speaker in the batters ear would seem more better.
haven't they heard of a telephoto lens? neanderthals.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
This isn't a coaching decision like you're looking for, more of a decision on a coach.
AZ should have fired Miller
LSU should have fired Wade

Back to what you really want, I completely agree with those that noted bunting against the shift. I get why maybe a Papi wouldn't have done it, but Jackie Bradley could bat .900 for the season with his speed.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Put me down for.

1. Going for two early in the game. I'd rarely go for 2 before the 4th qtr.
2. Going for 4th and goal outside the 3 yard line. Put points on the board.
3. Mandatory pitch count removal for pitchers who are healthy. Those who are coming back from injury are a different story.
4. Giving up the no effort layup for 2 points at the end of the game. Sure, you want them taking a 2 point shot and getting the ball back but make them work a few extra seconds to get to the rim. Worst thing you do is foul them and give them a chance at 2.

Bills down 17 going for two yesterday was really bad. You kick the extra point and go down by 16, which is two touchdowns. If you make the 2 point conversion, you are down 15 which is still two touchdowns. You fail on the attempt and you are down three scores.

Reaction Score
Coaches in HS ball when there is no shot clock running clock even in the first half. It's so friggen boring.

the Q

Reaction Score
Coaches in HS ball when there is no shot clock running clock even in the first half. It's so friggen boring.

A) it’s good strategy for some teams. When I played a team ran four corners against us. It was brutal.

B) way back in 2004 i saw a team literally hold the ball at the timeline as a team tried to sit in a zone while being down 6 (in a very ugly low scoring game). They held it until the end of the quarter, since the team refused to come out of the zone. Scored to end the quarter and then scored to open the 4th quarter to go up 10 and win.

Reaction Score
Already mentioned with Snell senario, but pulling starters based on pre-game strategy. Just use your eyeballs and not the computer sheets. It's not that hard to tell when a guy us dominating.

Starting the prevent defense (or prevent victory) too early in a football game.I have seen so many games where a teams defense is dominating by putting pressure on the qb. Some coaches start the prevent too early and it allows the other team to zip down the field and either tie it up or outright win the game.

Lastly, McNamara keeping Buckner in the game against the Mets, even though he had put Stapleton in the game for defense the entire second half of the year. Just wanted Buckner, after a long good career, to be on the field when they clinched.

Pulling pitchers when their cruising in the playoffs drives me insane, regular season its one thing, though that can be annoying as well.

Reaction Score
A) it’s good strategy for some teams. When I played a team ran four corners against us. It was brutal.

B) way back in 2004 i saw a team literally hold the ball at the timeline as a team tried to sit in a zone while being down 6 (in a very ugly low scoring game). They held it until the end of the quarter, since the team refused to come out of the zone. Scored to end the quarter and then scored to open the 4th quarter to go up 10 and win.

Oh I know it's a good strategy to win. Done it myself. I also hate that it's an option because we don't have a shotclock.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll try to be more generic.
  • In football, going to prevent defense too early. Especially if your normal D is getting the job done. If it is working stick with it.
  • In baseball, the lefty-righty matchup changes. Most overblown waste of time ever. Makes the game unwatchable.
  • In basketball, sticking with one defense all the time. Change up multiple times a game, don't let the offense get comfortable. Man, Box and 1, Zone press, Man press, 2-3, 4-1, keep them off balance.
  • In hockey, passive penalty kill. I don't like it. The body armor has allowed it to work with guys blocking shots, but I still think letting the offense freely hold and move the puck is a bad idea.

Reaction Score
Heres another Peter Carroll end of game blunder from his USC days. Not putting the ball in Reggie Bushs hands on 4th and inches to clinch the game, Bush wasnt even on the field.

the Q

Reaction Score
Heres another Peter Carroll end of game blunder from his USC days. Not putting the ball in Reggie Bushs hands on 4th and inches to clinch the game, Bush wasnt even on the field.

With a correct spot he’d be seen as a genius. Texas had no answer for white all day.

Reaction Score
With a correct spot he’d be seen as a genius. Texas had no answer for white all day.

Wouldve been one thing to hand it to White but shouldve had Bush on the field thats all. Make Texas pick their poison.

Reaction Score
I'll try to be more generic.
  • In football, going to prevent defense too early. Especially if your normal D is getting the job done. If it is working stick with it.
  • In baseball, the lefty-righty matchup changes. Most overblown waste of time ever. Makes the game unwatchable.
  • In basketball, sticking with one defense all the time. Change up multiple times a game, don't let the offense get comfortable. Man, Box and 1, Zone press, Man press, 2-3, 4-1, keep them off balance.
  • In hockey, passive penalty kill. I don't like it. The body armor has allowed it to work with guys blocking shots, but I still think letting the offense freely hold and move the puck is a bad idea.

Agreed about 1 defense in basketball. Even if you're going to be a "man2man" only coach you need to be able to sprinkle in different pick and roll coverages, go to more of a packline, etc. You should have a base you run 80%+ of the time, but only one look will never cut it vs talented teams.

Reaction Score
This one tops it all, pulling Deivi Garcia for who JA Happ in a playoff game after 2 innings lol. A pre meditated move that was made from the Yankee analytic team. I would rather have lost with 20 year old Garcia who was pitching decently probably wasnt gonna go 5-6 innings fine but force your hand before the Rays force your hand? Rays had to be laughing their asses off seeing the stuff of Garcia then seeing Happ come in.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The runner sacrificing himself by taking the extra base to draw the throw away from home plate, getting thrown out so the other runner can score. It seems like 95% of the time it was unnecessary and that the runner would have scored anyway. I appreciate it is a good play at times but it shouldn't be automatic.
We call that “fake hustle” where I’m from

Reaction Score
How is this post #40. Isn't this why we are here?
Sure as hell why I am here.
Didn't see anyone post about yet.
Either way, deserves to be brought up again.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I know this. It would just kill me when Manny would, like clockwork, take the first pitch. He would sometimes leave the bat on his shoulder. Everyone in the stadium knew a strike right down the middle was coming.

Reaction Score
I know this. It would just kill me when Manny would, like clockwork, take the first pitch. He would sometimes leave the bat on his shoulder. Everyone in the stadium knew a strike right down the middle was coming.

Rumor has it that Manny would purposely look a strike to look like he couldn’t read the pitch to set up the pitcher to throw it again and he would crush it later in the at bat or later in the game.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom