Most hated coaching decisions in sports? | The Boneyard

Most hated coaching decisions in sports?

Reaction Score
For me, not fouling with like 5-6 seconds left in college basketball games up 3 points and NFL coaches going for 2 points early in games.

I've also always hated the 2 fouls and you sit for the rest of the half rule some coaches employ no matter the time and score. It worked out for Calhoun when they won by the skin of their teeth but I hated it at the time and still do. Calhoun is my favorite all-time coach in any sport but he was a proponent of 2 of my most hated coaching moves in sports

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
When hitters take a pitch that they know is going to be a thrown strike.

Pulling the goalie too early or too late. It’s a fine line.

Throwing the ball on 1st and goal from the 1.

Coaches waiting way too long to empty the bench. The game is over coach.

Reaction Score

It seemed like Mattingly took the first pitch every single at bat I watched him as a little kid. I didn't understand it then and I still don't but it worked for him.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Playing exclusively zone defense regardless of changes to the game or declining team success - I like this because it makes me happy to see Cuse lose, but I hate the idea of it.

Speaking of zone defense, I also hate youth league coaches who just sit their kids in zone and don’t teach them basic defensive fundamentals...because “it works.” ?

Reaction Score
Playing exclusively zone defense regardless of changes to the game or declining team success - I like this because it makes me happy to see Cuse lose, but I hate the idea of it.

Speaking of zone defense, I also hate youth league coaches who just sit their kids in zone and don’t teach them basic defensive fundamentals...because “it works.” ?
When I coached high school I thought it would be a good idea to go to middle school games and rec games. I couldn't take watching what the coaches would do. The best was when the coach would call time out and draw some complicated play. The play would last one pass. Please don't teach them plays but teach them how to play.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It seemed like Mattingly took the first pitch every single at bat I watched him as a little kid. I didn't understand it then and I still don't but it worked for him.
Manny Ramirez would do the same thing. Always blew my mind.

Reaction Score
When that manager left Pedro in and then that other one brought him in!!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Manny Ramirez would do the same thing. Always blew my mind.

Manny has a plan. He would literally sit and wait for his plan.

He knew the pitchers better than anyone.

But it’s also why he’s look silly at times taking very hittable pitches.

MLB players do tend to go up looking for a pitch. Because it’s almost impossible to be adjusting from 98 to 75.

Reaction Score
Sitting your best players with 2 fouls in the 1st half, especially when it's guards who you know don't typically pick up a lot of fouls
Another reason I hate it is if the star player picks up 2 quick ones refs are usually hesitant to call a third, they tend to let things slide more.

Reaction Score
I always thought the decision by Coach K to have Brian Zoubek miss that second free throw in the final seconds of the National Championship game which would have put Duke up by three was a really bad decision. Coach K came out smelling like a rose like he usually does, but that 3 from Hayward was so close to going in. At worst, you play for OT, you never put yourself in position to lose.

Reaction Score
A sacrifice bunt with a good hitter because you only need one run and it’s late in the game. Thankfully that one seems to be dying a pretty quick death for even the most stubborn managers lately.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
For me, not fouling with like 5-6 seconds left in college basketball games up 3 points and NFL coaches going for 2 points early in games.

I've also always hated the 2 fouls and you sit for the rest of the half rule some coaches employ no matter the time and score. It worked out for Calhoun when they won by the skin of their teeth but I hated it at the time and still do. Calhoun is my favorite all-time coach in any sport but he was a proponent of 2 of my most hated coaching moves in sports
Did you see how the decision worked out in 2004 when Oak sat and Duke kept playing their bigs for three fouls and then they weren't available at crunch time. It's a good thing to do as long as you can stay in touch.

Reaction Score
Did you see how the decision worked out in 2004 when Oak sat and Duke kept playing their bigs for three fouls and then they weren't available at crunch time. It's a good thing to do as long as you can stay in touch.
Of course, I alluded to it in my post and it's part of the reason I started the thread. Hated the decision then and still hate it now even though it worked out.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

I always hated taking the first pitch. Most of the time a strike. Seems to be a formality. When I coached youth baseball I never tole the batter take the first pitch. Why? It worked more than 50% of the time. If you think it's down the middle? Go for it. If you swing and miss or foul tip. Well you would of been there anyway.

Reaction Score
Calling a time-out the moment before the field goal attempt. So bush-league. Watching the coach standing next to the ref while the ref is actually participating in this move is comical. Football has so many bad moves all based on the clock.

As kids we were always told to wait for the first strike and we didn't like it because we needed all three strikes. Sure, walk's as good as a hit but we were there to learn to hit. Great hitters like Mattingly and Boggs, it didn't matter because they could foul pitches off intentionally.

Reaction Score

Seahawks' Pete Carroll explains ill-fated call in Super Bowl XLIX

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom