Mora on Offense: We have a longs ways to go and a lot of work to do but… | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mora on Offense: We have a longs ways to go and a lot of work to do but…

Reaction Score
Hey, either we trust HCJM or we don't. If he wants to keep NC, it is his decision, his call. I remember getting mocked for suggesting that NC would stay. All this says is that the fans don't have all the information.

Reaction Score
The more I see the way the portal is wreaking havoc on teams' ability to maintain any sort of roster continuity the more I'm becoming a believer in what Mario Cristobal and Nick Saban are trying to do/have done over the last couple of years. They both are tracking away from high flying passing attacks in favor of 'smash mouth', ball control run-game oriented offense and stronger defenses. Cristobal has taken a lot of hits amongst Hurricane fans because of the way he prefers to run the offense but I think he has the right practical idea on how to build a program these days-inside out, get in a bunch of 3/4 star recruits and use the strength program to build them up. Five stars always are good but those kids are also always NIL flight risks. Saban couldn't get rid of Bill O'Brien fast enough so he could get Rees in and go back to the offensive philosophy that I think he's most comfortable with. Milroe is arguably the least talented passer on the 'Bama roster but the one thing he does better than the other QBs is use his legs, sometimes functioning as almost an option QB.

Sophisticated passing offenses generally require a lot more time on task and gel over a number of seasons which is well nigh impossible if half your receiving corp and your starting QB decide to transfer every year. Not that good offensive and defensive linemen grow on trees; however I think on balance there are more of them and at the collegiate level, or at least they're easier to coach up on the fly with a robust strength and conditioning program. You can also get really good running backs and DBs in quantity, not so with QBs and receivers.....especially QBs.

Maybe that's what Mora is fighting-his instincts and background point to a coach who wants to win with a ball control offense and defense but the zeitgeist turns the conversation towards, 'we need a stud QB or we aren't going anywhere'. He maybe needs to pick a lane and articulate that lane to the fan base so we can manage our own expectations accordingly.

Just my $.02. Probably wrong but what the hell I'm just an idiot posting on a message board and not paid millions to coach a CFB team.
I agree with a number of your points, but I don't think Saban is downplaying passing. The Alabama offense is set up to play to their strengths and Milroe is a good runner so you take advantage of that. Of the top 15 ranked schools, 10 had passing yards ranked in the top 30 and only 2 had running offenses ranked in the top 30. I think you have to be able to pass the ball to be able to catch up in games.

I agree about OL as I think you have to recruit and develop your OL as you are not going to be able to find many developed and proven OL in the portal, especially if you are not a top school.

Also, I agree about your point with UConn's offense. What are we trying to do? Charlton has talked about balance, but that hasn't worked too well in keeping drives alive. Year 1, I don't fault Charlton at all as he had a true freshman QB and many of the offensive skilled players got injured Year 2 was better, but I think Roberson not running enough really killed drives and we have talked about poor schemes and play calling a ton. Hopefully Charlton studies offenses and takes a hard look at the offense and makes changes.

Reaction Score
Hey, either we trust HCJM or we don't. If he wants to keep NC, it is his decision, his call. I remember getting mocked for suggesting that NC would stay. All this says is that the fans don't have all the information.
Good point.

I'd also point out that a passing offense is really only as good as the QB's ability to read the defense and get through his progression without advertising his intent. I'm overseas and only saw bits and pieces this season -- mostly listened on UConn+ -- but from what I did see, Roberson has room for improvement in seeing the field: reading the defense; looking to receivers, even when he has no intention of throwing to them, in order to sell the defense; and finding the second or third option when that man is open instead of the check down to the RB.

I have a feeling that many of the ticky tacky throws we saw and complained about were intended to be longer plays and Roberson either didn't have an open man or, and I saw this a fair amount, he's not up to game speed and couldn't find his best option.

That's really not on Charlton, as unhappy as I was with him. I didn't like what I saw, but I genuinely do trust a former NFL coach who instantly improved us to make the right call over my armchair, Monday QBing.

Reaction Score
In fact Mora said on at least one occasion he didn’t trust the offense. I think it was after trying a long field goal vs BC ON 4th and 5-6 at the 38 or some such. The offense was not good. It was a combination of things. I think we need much more of a system offense. Lots of short to medium quick passes. You watch teams like Texas Tech and they rarely throw real deep. Get the ball out quickly. Overload the zone. We run this stuff that seems to take a long time to develop.
slow developing plays and slow-as-molasses FCS players-masquerading-as-FBS-players executing them, leads to actual FBS defenses crashing down on said plays, easily and repeatedly. Maddening to witness

Reaction Score
There is a LOT to be said for NOT bringing in someone new and churning the playbook. So we look upon this as developing NC and hoping things mesh better this coming season. Of course, on January 2 we might hear something completely different, but I doubt it. We would have heard by now I would have thought. Maybe a DC though.

Reaction Score
Good point.

I'd also point out that a passing offense is really only as good as the QB's ability to read the defense and get through his progression without advertising his intent. I'm overseas and only saw bits and pieces this season -- mostly listened on UConn+ -- but from what I did see, Roberson has room for improvement in seeing the field: reading the defense; looking to receivers, even when he has no intention of throwing to them, in order to sell the defense; and finding the second or third option when that man is open instead of the check down to the RB.

I have a feeling that many of the ticky tacky throws we saw and complained about were intended to be longer plays and Roberson either didn't have an open man or, and I saw this a fair amount, he's not up to game speed and couldn't find his best option.

That's really not on Charlton, as unhappy as I was with him. I didn't like what I saw, but I genuinely do trust a former NFL coach who instantly improved us to make the right call over my armchair, Monday QBing.
Let's see what Cole Welliver has got. Gotta love a player who wants to be in Storrs, wants to be a Husky, signs his paperwork early. What is he? 6-7? TR should give him a helluva battle though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom