Mora on Offense: We have a longs ways to go and a lot of work to do but… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mora on Offense: We have a longs ways to go and a lot of work to do but…

Reaction Score
You mean the last time we went bowling?
Yes. The time we needed every decent team’s qb to not play and our D to score a lot or give the O the ball in the red zone. That year.

Reaction Score
I fail to see the magical playcalling that is going to show significant improvement. People are recycling the RE era, if we only had a more exciting playbook arguments.

The real issue here is overall speed and decision making by the players. Is there a coach out there that can break through better than Charlton? Almost certainly, but nothing will improve until the QB can make the reads quickly in real time and the receivers be where they are supposed to be consistently.

Key mistakes at the worst moments are what cost us in terms of total wins. Those happened on O, D, ST, and the sideline decision making. Bring in a new guy fine, but eliminating those will help way more than another coaching shuffle. So will better players.

Well if you fail to see it, then there is no way it can exist..

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Well if you fail to see it, then there is no way it can exist..

Do you really thinknwe can X and O put way to relevance? Other than the weird end arounds, WR screens and HB throwbacks, I thought we used, or tried to use, the entire field mixing run and pass reasonably well. My biggest complaint other than execution was Charlton when weird on crucial downs basically giving up on winning FB to try to trick his way out of though spots.

He effectively said through those play calls that he didn't trust the players. Though they gave him reasons not to trust them. That's reason to change, but the system itself seemed as good as any we can expect to see. We aren't going to be a good offense, I just want competent don't shoot yourself in the foot offense that can put up 25-30 points vs bottom 50 teams.

Pair that with a D that doesn't act like a submarine's screen door 3 to 4 times a game and will win enough to bowl.

Reaction Score
Do you really thinknwe can X and O put way to relevance? Other than the weird end arounds, WR screens and HB throwbacks, I thought we used, or tried to use, the entire field mixing run and pass reasonably well. My biggest complaint other than execution was Charlton when weird on crucial downs basically giving up on winning FB to try to trick his way out of though spots.

He effectively said through those play calls that he didn't trust the players. Though they gave him reasons not to trust them. That's reason to change, but the system itself seemed as good as any we can expect to see. We aren't going to be a good offense, I just want competent don't shoot yourself in the foot offense that can put up 25-30 points vs bottom 50 teams.

Pair that with a D that doesn't act like a submarine's screen door 3 to 4 times a game and will win enough to bowl.

Yes.

I think not running from the shotgun on 3rd and 14 would be a step on the right direction.

Yes I think 40 yard sideways passes to the other sideline would be a step in the right direction.

Yes I think doing away with predictable and slow developing plays behind the line of scrimmage would be a step in the right direction.

Yes I think calling pass plays where receivers run routes that go beyond the first down markers would be a step in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I hope they give Wellever (sp?) a fair shot for the start spot next year. I would love to see a 4 year QB ( ex. Philip Rivers)

Reaction Score

In fact Mora said on at least one occasion he didn’t trust the offense. I think it was after trying a long field goal vs BC ON 4th and 5-6 at the 38 or some such. The offense was not good. It was a combination of things. I think we need much more of a system offense. Lots of short to medium quick passes. You watch teams like Texas Tech and they rarely throw real deep. Get the ball out quickly. Overload the zone. We run this stuff that seems to take a long time to develop.

Reaction Score
Barring a massive influx of NIL funds, it is highly unlikely we will ever see a 4 yr starting QB who begins and ends their career at UConn.
I think it is fairly unlikely anybody will. Look at guys in the portal. To me it will be interesting to see how this develops when teams everybody gets a portal quarterback. I have a sense that the quality may decline because it is easier to sign a guy from the portal than develop one. Then the question becomes where does the next class develop.

Reaction Score
I think it is fairly unlikely anybody will. Look at guys in the portal. To me it will be interesting to see how this develops when teams everybody gets a portal quarterback. I have a sense that the quality may decline because it is easier to sign a guy from the portal than develop one. Then the question becomes where does the next class develop.

I think we already seeing a decline. The college football that I fell in love with no longer exists.

Reaction Score
Confession: I’m slightly annoyed by this, but I’m addicted to UConn athletics just like I was addicted to Hartford Whalers hockey. I’ll watch the games even if we’re 0-12. That’s just my sad reality.

Reaction Score
Yes.

I think not running from the shotgun on 3rd and 14 would be a step on the right direction.

Yes I think 40 yard sideways passes to the other sideline would be a step in the right direction.

Yes I think doing away with predictable and slow developing plays behind the line of scrimmage would be a step in the right direction.

Yes I think calling pass plays where receivers run routes that go beyond the first down markers would be a step in the right direction.
And by contemporizing the offense, we should be able to attract better players. Not doing it assures we will not attract better players.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Fagnano's first series he looked great. I don't think it's a coincidence that his pattern matched the offense even after he was out injured for the season: a well-thought, well-executed first possession with poor in-game adjustments.

I've said it before, but Fagnano's highlights show a QB with good arm strength and reasonable accuracy, even against decent FBS opposition. He had a really good TD: turnover ratio as well. I won't be the least bit disappointed if I see him again.

It became popular here to knock Fagnano but I generally agree with your take. What we saw from Fagnano is who Charlton currently is - he can script a first series and he struggles to adjust from there.

That's not to say Fagnano was good. It's just to say that I'm not sure he is a substantial step down from Roberson. If the circumstances allow, I would love to be the champion of the Joe Fagnano redemption thread.

Reaction Score
I imagine the team will almost be completely different from last year. My only hope is with Mora’s NFL experience that he can build teams year after year. Concern is at UConn he may not be able to get the players he wants like is possible in the NFL.

Reaction Score
It’s not like he came from a big 6A Texas Gugg School. He came from a smaller private school league. He looks very good, but everyone’s expectations need be tempered.

We just got a commitment from a CB who is rated higher.

This class of HS recruits actually looks nice.
I thought people were saying he was voted the best arm in Texas from the 7 on 7 league. Not so?

Reaction Score
So much was painful on offense last year.

Do we think Charlton has learned his lesson about not testing the edge 10 times per game? That our receivers have to get beyond the marker on third down routes?

I think we’re gonna know by halftime of game 1 whether Charlton has grown or whether we will have to suffer again.
He’s 24 games in and as dumb as ever. Don’t hold your breath.

Reaction Score
So it would seem logical the top programs will be stacked with older, bigger stronger players who have developed while the lesser programs will be the feeder systems. Don't bother recruiting high school kids when you can find an experienced proven players in the portal. Maybe recruit a sure fire stud out of high school but don't risk recruiting a bust. A Ben Roethlisberger at Miami OH could be out there in the portal. And if you are a great high school QB, go someplace where you can start right away rather than ride the pine for a year or two. Ben started 3 years and got better each year. Tom Brady played 4 years and barely played his first two.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yes.

Then we agree completely.

Reaction Score
Sorry but that species is extinct.
Schools pay insane amounts of money for qbs. If a qb has a modicum of success here, they will be gone the following year. Stinks but it is what it is.

I just want to get to the point where that happens because then it means UCONN had a good season.

Reaction Score
Schools pay insane amounts of money for qbs. If a qb has a modicum of success here, they will be gone the following year. Stinks but it is what it is.

I just want to get to the point where that happens because then it means UCONN had a good season.
Ok - I have to be careful about sharing. A buddy of mine runs a company and wants to do an NIL deal to help support the program. The money would be pretty decent for a non-QB position. Let’s just say it’s been months trying to get somebody to pay attention. That, boys, is our program problem.

Reaction Score
Ok - I have to be careful about sharing. A buddy of mine runs a company and wants to do an NIL deal to help support the program. The money would be pretty decent for a non-QB position. Let’s just say it’s been months trying to get somebody to pay attention. That, boys, is our program problem.
Have him contact Jared Thomas (Bleeding Blue for Good) @ info@bleedingblueforgood.org. He’s been quite helpful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom