Mora is right | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Mora is right

Reaction Score
He is established and has a great amount of integrity. When you get up in age it's all about doing the right thing. We don't think about the almighty dollar it's all irrelevant. We become more compassionate and are feelings are true. I believe if we refrain from criticisms this man will guarantee will succeed

Reaction Score
I hope you’re right. Some of his recent comments were a disgrace and he was willing to admit it. We’re at a very important crossroads for the program. I hope that Coach Mora leads the way as a coach and educator of young men.

When the team was overachieving last year, we didn’t hear about NIL. He led by example through great coaching and communicating his vision for success. His performance this year was not as strong, so I hope he doesn’t try to hide behind finances to cover up his failures. The truth is, despite his comments and whether any of us like it, he needs to be a fundraiser as part of his job responsibilities. That’s the reality. I continue to have faith in Coach Mora and hope he focuses on the positives of the program rather than the potential pitfalls along the way.
Couple of points. NIL has become important the last 2 years and the 2023 became the NIL season for all of college football. At the end of last season, as Mora said, there was little NIL to attract or retain players. Unfortunately, that was the reality.

That said, I don't think the coaching staff did a great job this year, but I look at the loss of Carter, Turner, Marion, Houston, and Brewton and think the season could have been a lot better with offensive playmakers like them.

As for Mora's rant, he was frustrated as he sees that UConn needs to invest more to be competitive especially against P5 teams. Personally, I like what he did as I think he woke a lot of people up, including myself to the reality that UConn is facing. I wonder how many people are now donating to NIL because of Mora's rant?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
His passion is what the team and school need along with NIL money to compete and this is the start of hopefully something good.

Reaction Score
His passion is what the team and school need along with NIL money to compete and this is the start of hopefully something good.
we want him to be unhappy with the situation... look, him asking for NIL is always going to look whiny. But at the same time you can't quietly do this job in what are dysfunctional circumstances.

Reaction Score
Small donations are clearly necessary and certainly vital so all of us can have “skin in the game” to raise the stature (and assure the survival) of UConn Football—but it’s the big game hunter boosters that need to become enthused about where this program needs to go. To a billionaire (and there are many to choose from in the area) $1.5M is a rounding error. The door to those boardrooms may be opened by a BOT connection, but Benedict and especially Mora have huge roles to play at those mahogany tables. The good news is that despite Mora professing he’s not a fundraiser, in contrast to our prior HC’s, he’s more well suited —and probably very good at it. Let the hunt begin.

Reaction Score
What I wonder about (both here and at other FBS schools) is what happens when all of the money is going towards NIL? We have a limited # of donors all things considered. If those finite resources are going towards NIL and recruiting players, does that mean we limit the facilities upgrades we would normally have seen?

Reaction Score
Small donations are clearly necessary and certainly vital so all of us can have “skin in the game” to raise the stature (and assure the survival) of UConn Football—but it’s the big game hunter boosters that need to become enthused about where this program needs to go. To a billionaire (and there are many to choose from in the area) $1.5M is a rounding error. The door to those boardrooms may be opened by a BOT connection, but Benedict and especially Mora have huge roles to play at those mahogany tables. The good news is that despite Mora professing he’s not a fundraiser, in contrast to our prior HC’s, he’s more well suited —and probably very good at it. Let the hunt begin.
I don’t disagree but there is a minor problem with what you said.

Connecticut is very unique. We have a ton of wealth in the state (mostly centered in Fairfield County) but very few of those wealthy individuals have ties to UConn. They didn’t go there, their kids don’t go there, and down in the south of the state - UConn isn’t as big of a name.

We really were just a small, safety school up until about 20 years ago. There are plenty of reasons for that (lack of investment by the state, a number of private schools in the area with long histories, etc.) but that is why is our endowment and donations are much lower than state schools of comparable size.

It’s not insurmountable and we’re definitely improving but just because there’s a lot of money in the state doesn’t mean it’ll flow to the school.

Reaction Score
What I wonder about (both here and at other FBS schools) is what happens when all of the money is going towards NIL? We have a limited # of donors all things considered. If those finite resources are going towards NIL and recruiting players, does that mean we limit the facilities upgrades we would normally have seen?
Yes, of course it does. But as others have said, that's not a problem. Athletes will pick programs where limited dollars go into their pockets rather than the pockets of extra football staff and facilities. Just like I'd rather my firm spend extra money on compensating me as opposed to fancy artwork in the offices.

Reaction Score
Burton was one such large football donor. And the Athletic Director treated him like a leper. Heck, most of the Boneyard wanted him hung from a lamp post when he suggested not hiring Pasqualoni. "How dare he!"

People who donate millions of dollars have this quaint notion that this entitles them to have their voices heard. The school and alumni are going to have make peace with the notion that large donors are important and deserve to be treated well. I don't know if Connecticut's unique culture can handle it.

Reaction Score
Burton was one such large football donor. And the Athletic Director treated him like a leper. Heck, most of the Boneyard wanted him hung from a lamp post when he suggested not hiring Pasqualoni. "How dare he!"

People who donate millions of dollars have this quaint notion that this entitles them to have their voices heard. The school and alumni are going to have make peace with the notion that large donors are important and deserve to be treated well. I don't know if Connecticut's unique culture can handle it.

The donors also wanted Edsall back though. It goes both ways.

Reaction Score
Benedict is in a tough spot when it comes to NIL. He needs to raise more money to reduce the AD deficit and I'm sure he is worried that dollars going to NIL will take away from donations to the AD.

Speaking of which. STHs should be able to redirect their “donations” or a portion thereof to NIL.

Reaction Score
Speaking of which. STHs should be able to redirect their “donations” or a portion thereof to NIL.
That literally cannot be done under the current rules

edit: NIL money is money that comes from OUTSIDE the university system. No money that goes through the school can go to NIL.

Reaction Score
That literally cannot be done under the current rules

edit: NIL money is money that comes from OUTSIDE the university system. No money that goes through the school can go to NIL.

It can. It can. it can.

You donate your money directly to the NIL collective. They provide you a receipt and the school could accept that as part of the donation.

Start thinking outside the box people.

Arkansas instead of firing their coach with donor money is using that $12M put into NIL.

Connecticut people don’t have any imagination with this game.

Reaction Score
It can. It can. it can.

You donate your money directly to the NIL collective. They provide you a receipt and the school could accept that as part of the donation.

Start thinking outside the box people.

Arkansas instead of firing their coach with donor money is using that $12M put into NIL.

Connecticut people don’t have any imagination with this game.
OK... maybe i missed the point. Are you suggesting STHers should donate to the NIL or that the school should divert funds from Season ticket holders sales to the NIL.

Reaction Score
OK... maybe i missed the point. Are you suggesting STHers should donate to the NIL or that the school should divert funds from Season ticket holders sales to the NIL.

I think there should be an option.

But it should be easily possible to create a workaround to allow it to happen.

Reaction Score

Well ... didn't Burton's son have a non optimum experience w PP at Syracuse or something? As a result I think many thought Burton's animus had a personal origin. Do I have that right?

Reaction Score
I think there should be an option.

But it should be easily possible to create a workaround to allow it to happen.
Through any university aegis there just isn't. Not even an option box. The school processes the money.

Reaction Score
Through any university aegis there just isn't. Not even an option box. The school processes the money.

No kidding. I already described one way around that.

You show the school a receipt for an NIL contribution and they deduct that amount from your overall donation requirement.

Reaction Score
Well ... didn't Burton's son have a non optimum experience w PP at Syracuse or something? As a result I think many thought Burton's animus had a personal origin. Do I have that right?
Yes - supposedly PP would not name Burton's son as a captain at SU.

Reaction Score
No kidding. I already described one way around that.

You show the school a receipt for an NIL contribution and they deduct that amount from your overall donation requirement.
UConn faces a large athletic department deficit so they would not want to divert athletic donations to NIL. The NIL dollars have to be additive to overall giving. If you can't increase your donation, don't worry, just support the teams.

Reaction Score
UConn faces a large athletic department deficit so they would not want to divert athletic donations to NIL. The NIL dollars have to be additive to overall giving. If you can't increase your donation, don't worry, just support the teams.
Smalltime thinking yields smalltime results.

The deficit nowhere near as big as it used to be. And every AD in the nation except for a dozen run a deficit.

If you can attract better talent you will sell more tickets and gear and easily make it up and more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom