Mir | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Mir

Reaction Score
I haven't seen Aubrey attempt a jump shot. Kelly Faris learned that lesson. You can't play 4 on 5 on offense. All five players have to be able to shoot. Ben Simmons is going through the same problem in Philly.

You also can't play "4 on 5" on defense either.... I was always taught that defense wins ballgames too.. That is why I like Aubrey Griffin.

If I remember correctly, Gabby didn't shoot like Michael Jordan or Larry Bird in the beginning either..... It was her defense/rebounding and atheletism that brought out her offense. Her offensive game took time..

Reaction Score
I haven't seen Aubrey attempt a jump shot. Kelly Faris learned that lesson. You can't play 4 on 5 on offense. All five players have to be able to shoot. Ben Simmons is going through the same problem in Philly.
The thing is I didn't expect much more out of Aubrey anyway. But despite that, she can make a serious impact with what she has in her athleticism, speed, quickness and rebounding, not to mention her defense and help in the press and on the break.

She has good form on her jump shots which probably means it is only a matter of time before she hits a couple. Then players will have to guard her from 12-15 feet and she can use her quickness to get to the rim.

However if her short jumper doesn't materialise, she will still have an impact. Players like her tend to wear done the opponent. I like her for at least 10-12 minutes a game and more if she can hit a jumper or two.

Reaction Score
I'm another Mir fan! I see great things in her future.

But it's early days for this team, in an exceptionally tough year. Lots for everyone to work on to get into top form, including the refs. (Re refs: Head shot = guaranteed whistle IMO. Otherwise, gotta back the refs if we want the sport to thrive.)

So I support all of our freshmen on their journey, not just the one who has already arrived. I remember my own freshman year as a lot of "drinking from the fire hose". An avalanche of life lessons, on top of school stuff that was 10x more challenging than HS. And I didn't have sports on my plate. I feel it's way too early to worry so much about Mir. She'll get there.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I support your analysis.

The highly respected and Hall of Fame coach John Wooden (the Wizard of Westwood) often remarked that “the bench is an excellent teacher”. It was true in his era, and remains so today. I’m a Mir fan also.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think the quick hook came when Mir was involved in a struggle for a tie-up (at 33.30 in the replay) and the possession went to SH and Mir threw the ball back over her head disgustedly. That was the only possible reason I saw.
In his post game presser, when asked about Mir, Geno stated that “after a strong start she disappeared into her own little world.” IMO, Geno didn’t take her out for battling for a rebound. He took her out for losing her focus.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think oldude made the correct diagnosis about why Mir was benched. Shortly after the contested rebound, she was (supposedly) defending Park-Lane when LPL made a move that Mir made no attempt to cover, thereby getting an uncontested short jump shot and a score. Given that Mir knew Park-Lane from high school and presumably knew her moves and tendences, that was an especially significant defensive failure. It appeared to be due to lack of concentration. Certainly there was a lack of effort to recover after being faked out by the initial move.

At that point, there was only one minute left in the first half. Geno could easily have left her in for that last minute. Taking her out early was definitely sending a message.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why some people think a team has to have five scorers on the floor at the same time. I have seen very good teams with only four scorers on the floor at the same time. For one, UConn whenever Jefferson came in in her freshman season and when Faris was on the floor early in her career. All of UConn's opponents don't have five scorers at the same time. Somebody has to facilitate. It's great to have five but not necessary to win. There are many other examples.
Agree that winning teams don't need five scorers. They do need 5th player to work within the context of the offense-depending on skills, setting picks, moving without ball, etc. The issue with Aubrey last year and Mir a bit so far is standing around, bogging up the flow for the other four. Gabby early on was a perfect example-not a shooter, but great on pick and rolls and opened the floor for others.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In his post game presser, when asked about Mir, Geno stated that “after a strong start she disappeared into her own little world.” IMO, Geno didn’t take her out for battling for a rebound. He took her out for losing her focus.
If we are to believe Geno Mir does not know the UConn offense, none of it. Couple this with her wandering off in her head to her own world and you get Aubrey 2019. Getting an offensive rebound because a team mate threw up a shot because you busted the play is a bit of a poor consolation. Some here think she should start. I don't think so. Can she learn the offense? Then we can talk about where she fits.

Reaction Score
If we are to believe Geno Mir does not know the UConn offense, none of it. Couple this with her wandering off in her head to her own world and you get Aubrey 2019. Getting an offensive rebound because a team mate threw up a shot because you busted the play is a bit of a poor consolation. Some here think she should start. I don't think so. Can she learn the offense? Then we can talk about where she fits.
If she doesn't know where to go on offense, then yes, she needs to sit until she learns where to go. I looked at it again and noticed that she looked a bit confused on offense. Despite this, she made an impact to the game. In saying that, how do you put her in if she doesn't know where to go. It does seem like a coach would have taken her aside at the half, explained things to her and let her know she would have another go at it in the second half. It's good to have an additional rep right after you make a mistake to learn and enforce it in the brain.

Obviously Geno has his way and I can't argue that his way has worked over the years.

Reaction Score
Sometimes the coach may not want to point out certain things to the public, instead handling it in-house. I’m not sure battling (and winning) the struggle for a rebound is “losing focus”. I think the “losing focus” was code for “ I didn’t like the player’s attitude or actions”.

Reaction Score
Sometimes the coach may not want to point out certain things to the public, instead handling it in-house. I’m not sure battling (and winning) the struggle for a rebound is “losing focus”. I think the “losing focus” was code for “ I didn’t like the player’s attitude or actions”.
Weren't there similar sentiments with AEH? I hope for Mir's sake that she gets on board. He's hinted around that she turns her motor on and off when she wants to. I'm sure that's a pet peeve for Geno..he has praised her athletic ability and she appears to be more than capable of playing at this level. She will have to buy in. As we saw with Charde Houston, you could be one of the best scorers in the country, but if you don't buy in then you are going to sit.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
"Losing focus" referred to what she did (and did not do) AFTER she battled for the rebound, not to the battle itself. I can well imagine that she (like Tina as a freshman) has a tendency not to be fully in the game when she isn't physically involved in the play.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Again, the rebound you’re focused on had nothing to do with Mir being pulled from the game. As I and several others have pointed out, Mir was not dialed in. She was frequently out of position, getting an absent minded 3 second call that cost Christyn a 3 and then inexplicably stopped guarding an opponent, allowing her to get an uncontested basket.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
The only reason so many traveling calls were made is that the players were traveling. Almost all of them were called because the players shuffled their feet before dribbling. Go back and review if you don't believe it. I saw it so many times when I used to officiate basketball and the players wondered what they did wrong.
Heck I loved to play the game when I was younger, being a big oaf I was constantly whistled for this very offense, I learned a way to get around it. Every time I was ready to take off and dribble the ball I would look to pass instead.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I think oldude made the correct diagnosis about why Mir was benched. Shortly after the contested rebound, she was (supposedly) defending Park-Lane when LPL made a move that Mir made no attempt to cover, thereby getting an uncontested short jump shot and a score. Given that Mir knew Park-Lane from high school and presumably knew her moves and tendences, that was an especially significant defensive failure. It appeared to be due to lack of concentration. Certainly there was a lack of effort to recover after being faked out by the initial move.

At that point, there was only one minute left in the first half. Geno could easily have left her in for that last minute. Taking her out early was definitely sending a message.
Yes and this is part of what makes Geno such a great coach.:)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She may be like Gabby was her freshman season, not really knowing what to do. There is a chance she may be overwhelmed and that makes her lose focus. If she hangs in there and learns the system ,she will be a valuable part of UConn's success. She is not alone in having trouble learning UConn's system as a freshman, both defense and offense.

Reaction Score
She may be like Gabby was her freshman season, not really knowing what to do. There is a chance she may be overwhelmed and that makes her lose focus. If she hangs in there and learns the system ,she will be a valuable part of UConn's success. She is not alone in having trouble learning UConn's system as a freshman, both defense and offense.
It's also only her second game, with far less practice than normal, interrupted by 10+ days of isolation, away from home for the first time, etc. These are different times with Covid. Players may not be as tough minded given what they have had to endure over the last 8 months.... I just think a softer touch is needed over the first month or so of the season. I'm inclined to cut her some slack but Geno is not and he is the boss! :)

Reaction Score
I noticed Mir never entered the game after playing in the first half. Anybody hear if their was an issue? She scored five points in her limited playing time in the 1st half and I didn't notice anything happing that would limit her playing time. This girl can jump and would give Gabby a rebounding challenge.
I wondered the same thing, because she is great to watch play. She is, likely, a more well-rounded player than Aubrey because Aubrey has shown no ability (or is it inclination?) to shoot anything but a lay-up, a put back or a foul shot. I suspect Mir is a fine outside shooter.

Reaction Score
I wondered the same thing, because she is great to watch play. She is, likely, a more well-rounded player than Aubrey because Aubrey has shown no ability (or is it inclination?) to shoot anything but a lay-up, a put back or a foul shot. I suspect Mir is a fine outside shooter.
Aubrey does shoot jumpers when she is wide open. She has good form too but just hasn't taken many and made even fewer.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think it was several things compounded; the lack of movement on offense culminating in the 3 second call, the lack of defensive effort on the play mentioned but I think the last straw was the over the head flippant tossing of the ball after the jump ball call. Geno is a self confessed “ body language” guy and I think that rubbed him the wrong way and was kind of a “that‘s it for today” thing.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It's also only her second game, with far less practice than normal, interrupted by 10+ days of isolation, away from home for the first time, etc. These are different times with Covid. Players may not be as tough minded given what they have had to endure over the last 8 months.... I just think a softer touch is needed over the first month or so of the season. I'm inclined to cut her some slack but Geno is not and he is the boss! :)
I agree with your thinking. You probably need to talk to Geno about his handling of her.:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom