Mir | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Mir

Reaction Score
They've only played two games so far...

Pretty rough crowd. But then, it is the Boneyard. ;)

It's hard to argue with experts..............like all of us often imagine we are. :rolleyes:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Evina is used to having the ball in her hands. Also she is used to taking more shots.
If that's true, she best get unused to it pronto. She's never going to be the focus here.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
As someone who spent most of my basketball days in the lane, I couldn’t agree more. But even in the lane, there are some limits.

Late in the game, Paige switched off onto one of Seton Halls forwards, who tried to post her up. Paige played good, solid defense, and ended up fouling the Seton Hall player out of the game, after catching a flying elbow to the head. The elbow appeared to be thrown in frustration.

Paige will certainly be fine, but those kinds of shots are always worrisome, because they can and do sometimes result in injuries.
That wasn't what they called the foul on it was a few seconds later that the SH player was called for the foul. They should have called a blatant foul on her and Paige should had two free throws at the other end. This was one of the worst officiated games that I've since the muggings we took at UCF last year.

Reaction Score
Evina is used to having the ball in her hands. Also she is used to taking more shots. Once she gets into game shape mentally she will be a big offensive threat. When Anna and Evina start hitting their outside shots and Williams continues to shoot like she did last night, UConn will be hard to stop from scoring.

I hope not because CW was like 3-11 on jump shots last night, 3-8 on 3pt and 0-3 on 2pt.

Reaction Score
The biggest problem Geno will have is getting enough minutes for everyone.... Practically every single player is good which is very unusual.....Usually he only has 6 maybe 7 players at the most who can contribute...

I would like to see Griffin getting more playing time... Personally I thought she would be starting.... I know some of you (not me) had this discussion last year about CW starting....

Griffin is too good/athletic to be coming in so late.. Of course it's only the second game....

I haven't seen Aubrey attempt a jump shot. Kelly Faris learned that lesson. You can't play 4 on 5 on offense. All five players have to be able to shoot. Ben Simmons is going through the same problem in Philly.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen Aubrey attempt a jump shot. Kelly Faris learned that lesson. You can't play 4 on 5 on offense. All five players have to be able to shoot. Ben Simmons is going through the same problem in Philly.

I don't follow the NBA much but just read this about Ben Simmons in an article about trade "The Sixers could sell just about anyone on Simmons becoming a superstar on a team built to complement him, regardless of his inability and unwillingness to shoot." How can you be an NBA superstar if you can't shoot the ball?

Reaction Score
I don't follow the NBA much but just read this about Ben Simmons in an article about trade "The Sixers could sell just about anyone on Simmons becoming a superstar on a team built to complement him, regardless of his inability and unwillingness to shoot." How can you be an NBA superstar if you can't shoot the ball?
IMO you can't but I guess that's what peer support and social media can do for you today. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it, build a team around what some guy CAN'T do.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So I went back to watch all of Mir’s minutes in the game to see if I could see what lead Geno to sit her on the bench and keep her there during the 2nd half. Mir was given the difficult challenge of guarding Park-Lane who quite frankly gave everyone who guarded her fits. Mir was no more successful than Paige in trying to stop Park-Lane. But that wasn’t specifically why Geno sat her down.

Initially, as we all witnessed, Mir grabbed a couple rebounds, and scored a couple baskets in the paint. But I saw 3 things that were a concern:
  • Mir stood around on offense several times, not quite sure where she was supposed to be. This was similar to Aubrey last year.
  • Mir got called for 3 seconds, wiping out a made 3 pt shot by Christyn.
  • While Mir struggled with Park-Lane, the last sequence before Geno sat her down involved Park-Lane making a quick move across the lane, for a wide open 12 footer. Mir wasn’t screened on the play, but just appeared to stop and watch Park-Lane separate and score
That last play was a true head scratcher to be sure. I’m sure Mir got the message.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't understand why some people think a team has to have five scorers on the floor at the same time. I have seen very good teams with only four scorers on the floor at the same time. For one, UConn whenever Jefferson came in in her freshman season and when Faris was on the floor early in her career. All of UConn's opponents don't have five scorers at the same time. Somebody has to facilitate. It's great to have five but not necessary to win. There are many other examples.

Reaction Score
The only call that I thought was really bad was Olivia's first foul. She was moving around her defender in the post, and of course her elbow touched the defender because there was no place else it could have gone. She didn't shove it into the defender or attempt to move the defender with her arm. I've seen that play permitted many times as a valid offensive post move. She lost a field goal on that call, as well as getting a foul.
It looked to me like Liv got hammered before she made the move to the basket it should easily have been a called against Seton hall. I do think the officials did a poor job missed a lot of fouls, Mir got knocked to the ground by a big body never called Tickie tac touch fouls called and I’ve never seen more traveling calls in a basketball game

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It looked to me like Liv got hammered before she made the move to the basket it should easily have been a called against Seton hall. I do think the officials did a poor job missed a lot of fouls, Mir got knocked to the ground by a big body never called Tickie tac touch fouls called and I’ve never seen more traveling calls in a basketball game
The only reason so many traveling calls were made is that the players were traveling. Almost all of them were called because the players shuffled their feet before dribbling. Go back and review if you don't believe it. I saw it so many times when I used to officiate basketball and the players wondered what they did wrong.

Reaction Score
While I think Mir will eventually be a really good player, she is struggling with learning the plays and her defensive assignments right now. Coach Auriemma has repeatedly alluded to this in his interviews, and again did so in his post game comments last night.
Mir played AAU with Park-Lane .. she should know how to guard her

Reaction Score
Olivia looks as mechanical in her inside moves as she did as a freshman and it seems the elbow is a big part of her moves. Almost like in her mind she's saying, first do this, next do this, etc.
Having said that, she's very smooth on her outside shots so maybe she's more comfortable outside.
I agree with that observation. My biggest weaknesses for her in the post are that she rarely passes the ball back out and then resets her position to get the ball back at a now superior position. The key is not just getting her the ball down below but rather getting her the ball in the right place meaning not only where she is in reference to the basket but also where her body is vis a vis the defender. She also misses open players to pass to because she is so intent on going to the hole. I think both of these issues will be problematic against teams with good big men.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That wasn't what they called the foul on it was a few seconds later that the SH player was called for the foul. They should have called a blatant foul on her and Paige should had two free throws at the other end. This was one of the worst officiated games that I've since the muggings we took at UCF last year.

Those UCF games were rough. Their players would come out with brass knuckles on one hand, and a sack of nickels in the other. :confused:

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
So I went back to watch all of Mir’s minutes in the game to see if I could see what lead Geno to sit her on the bench and keep her there during the 2nd half. Mir was given the difficult challenge of guarding Park-Lane who quite frankly gave everyone who guarded her fits. Mir was no more successful than Paige in trying to stop Park-Lane. But that wasn’t specifically why Geno sat her down.

Initially, as we all witnessed, Mir grabbed a couple rebounds, and scored a couple baskets in the paint. But I saw 3 things that were a concern:
  • Mir stood around on offense several times, not quite sure where she was supposed to be. This was similar to Aubrey last year.
  • While Mir struggled with Park-Lane, the last sequence before Geno sat her down involved Park-Lane making a quick move across the lane, for a wide open 12 footer. Mir wasn’t screened on the play, but just appeared to stop and watch Park-Lane separate and score
That last play was a true head scratcher to be sure. I’m sure Mir got the message.
I support your analysis.

Reaction Score

I think the quick hook came when Mir was involved in a struggle for a tie-up (at 33.30 in the replay) and the possession went to SH and Mir threw the ball back over her head disgustedly. That was the only possible reason I saw.

Reaction Score
Olivia has a very lean frame. Let's face it - she's a finesse player. Some have said she bulked up a bit & got stronger during the offseason. I dont see it. Not to say she wont be better this year, but her game so far hasnt changed much. I was hoping she would be quicker & more instinctive by now, but she looks very mechanical out there. Against, good teams, that wont work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom