Mir | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Mir

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
they sure missed that hard elbow that Bueckers took in the face.........nice to see her teammates react with a few harsh words for the guilty party
I am somewhat concerned that Paige’s combination of enormous talent and a lean body will make her a target of opposing teams in much the same way as Stewie and Lou, as they impose a “hack-a-Husky” strategy to knock her off her game.

Paige will likely have to deal with it for awhile in the only way she can, by keeping her poise and beating them.

Reaction Score
I hope Geno gives Mir & Aubrey some of Evina's minutes. They are much more athletic & faster on both ends. I dont like the Paige, Evina, Anna backcourt. Too slow & it showed in the 1st half. Hopefully, Evina can get her step back after her long layoff from serious injury. She's not there yet.

Geno likes players that are versatile offensively and know the offense. Evina only went 1-8, but she was all over the box score and played great D. I thought she played well and earned every one of those 31 minutes. Mir and Aubrey are not those people, YET! They have athleticism aplenty and they're great spark plugs, but as I stated, in a shortened season like this, you need to have your best offense on the floor a lot so they can gel...and the starters are those people. We legit go 9 deep though, and that's amazing.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The biggest problem Geno will have is getting enough minutes for everyone.... Practically every single player is good which is very unusual.....Usually he only has 6 maybe 7 players at the most who can contribute...

I would like to see Griffin getting more playing time... Personally I thought she would be starting.... I know some of you (not me) had this discussion last year about CW starting....

Griffin is too good/athletic to be coming in so late.. Of course it's only the second game....
I don't think Aubrey knows the offensive sets. Several times she came down court into the key then looked around and moved to her spot. She's terrific in the full court where she can use her superior athleticism, but I think she slows down the half court rotations.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I am somewhat concerned that Paige’s combination of enormous talent and a lean body will make her a target of opposing teams in much the same way as Stewie and Lou, as they impose a “hack-a-Husky” strategy to knock her off her game.

Paige will likely have to deal with it for awhile in the only way she can, by keeping her poise and beating them.
s
I had the same thoughts but then I remembered a Wayne gretszky quote when someone voiced the same concern for him; "You can't hit what you cant catch."

Reaction Score
I hope Geno gives Mir & Aubrey some of Evina's minutes. They are much more athletic & faster on both ends. I dont like the Paige, Evina, Anna backcourt. Too slow & it showed in the 1st half. Hopefully, Evina can get her step back after her long layoff from serious injury. She's not there yet.
Right now Nika subs in for Evina which is ball handler, passer and playmaker for ball handler, passer and playmaker. You lose that with Aubrey or Mir and you also lose the outside shooting. Both Nika and Evina are very good shooters. They are both getting their sea legs now for different reasons so we have to be patient. You are right that it is different for Evina to be working out and hitting her shots in practice after coming back from double surgery and then doing it in a game.This was only her second game in two years! Evina needs to shoot more but I think that is just a confidence issue. She has a very solid pull up jumper and good form on her 3 and can penetrate. Although she overpasses sometimes, she will get a ton of assists this year. She had 7 last night. Nika needs to hit some 3s and get used to NCAA play but she is a gritty defender. Evina is an excellent defender too but Park Lane had a career night. She did nothing against the zone except for one drive so you will probably see a lot more of that when and if we play them again. Even Mir could not stop Park Lane when she covered her last night so I don't see how that would have changed anything. Imagine the team with Nika and EW being able to contribute offensively with 3s and drives as well. That will happen down the road just like it happened for Anna last year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
s
I had the same thoughts but then I remembered a Wayne gretszky quote when someone voiced the same concern for him; "You can't hit what you cant catch."
Yes, but an important part of Paige’s game is driving to the basket on offense, where she will attract a lot of attention from multiple defenders bent on stopping her anyway they can.

Reaction Score
It’s only the second game. PB and CW appear to be the 2 players that can create their own shot/drive to the basket. Perhaps that means Geno may experiment more with both bigs in the game to keep the opposition’s D more honest.

Reaction Score

How about Brianna Stewart wasn’t that a concern back then

Reaction Score
She still can't run an offense or show she has any offense like an outside shot.
I noticed she could have taken a couple of shots but chose to pass. Until she starts shooting and making shots probably will limit her playing. Her defense is outstanding , along with rebounding.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Right now Nika subs in for Evina which is ball handler, passer and playmaker for ball handler, passer and playmaker. You lose that with Aubrey or Mir and you also lose the outside shooting. Both Nika and Evina are very good shooters. They are both getting their sea legs now for different reasons so we have to be patient. You are right that it is different for Evina to be working out and hitting her shots in practice after coming back from double surgery and then doing it in a game.This was only her second game in two years! Evina needs to shoot more but I think that is just a confidence issue. She has a very solid pull up jumper and good form on her 3 and can penetrate. Although she overpasses sometimes, she will get a ton of assists this year. She had 7 last night. Nika needs to hit some 3s and get used to NCAA play but she is a gritty defender. Evina is an excellent defender too but Park Lane had a career night. She did nothing against the zone except for one drive so you will probably see a lot more of that when and if we play them again. Even Mir could not stop Park Lane when she covered her last night so I don't see how that would have changed anything. Imagine the team with Nika and EW being able to contribute offensively with 3s and drives as well. That will happen down the road just like it happened for Anna last year.
Evina is used to having the ball in her hands. Also she is used to taking more shots. Once she gets into game shape mentally she will be a big offensive threat. When Anna and Evina start hitting their outside shots and Williams continues to shoot like she did last night, UConn will be hard to stop from scoring.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Evina is used to having the ball in her hands. Also she is used to taking more shots. Once she gets into game shape mentally she will be a big offensive threat. When Anna and Evina start hitting their outside shots and Williams continues to shoot like she did last night, UConn will be hard to stop from scoring.
Totally agree. You will have 5 offensive threats in the starting lineup with 3 offensive players, Paige, Evina and CW, who make plays for themselves and others by driving from the foul line and perimeter and 4 players, (even ONO to a limited extent), AM, Paige, CW and Evina who will be solid 3 point shooters. You also have 3 top shelf passers in Paige, Anna and Evina at the same time. I watched very carefully as Evina would set up the offense when she had the ball bringing it up. We have to remember also that Evina is the oldest player on the team and used to being the go to player as you point out. Honestly, I am reminded of the 2018 Villanova championship team in the respect that everyone on the starting team can shoot the three ball and 4 of them can do it and will do it eventually with proficiency. Add in the bench players and the scoring will not be a problem as you indicate.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Yes, but an important part of Paige’s game is driving to the basket on offense, where she will attract a lot of attention from multiple defenders bent on stopping her anyway they can.
Along established BB tradition, you go down the lane expect to get your lumps.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Along established BB tradition, you go down the lane expect to get your lumps.
As someone who spent most of my basketball days in the lane, I couldn’t agree more. But even in the lane, there are some limits.

Late in the game, Paige switched off onto one of Seton Halls forwards, who tried to post her up. Paige played good, solid defense, and ended up fouling the Seton Hall player out of the game, after catching a flying elbow to the head. The elbow appeared to be thrown in frustration.

Paige will certainly be fine, but those kinds of shots are always worrisome, because they can and do sometimes result in injuries.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I didn’t notice that. I thought it was fairly decent, honestly.
Fairly decent all around. I'm dismayed that people are complaining about referring 2 games into the season. Complaining about refs is like complaining about the rain. Everybody's going to get wet so stop complaining, get out your umbrella and move on.

Reaction Score
I love this young lady's game. She is so aggressive especially on the glass!! My biggest fear, especially with this group of talent and how hungry these freshmen players are, will some of the players be comfortable with their roles and minutes on this team. Hopefully this is where CD and the rest of the coaching staff are talking to the players and making sure everyone understands their role and how valuable they are and the part that they play on this team.

Reaction Score
On the offensive foul call on Liv, Elmore had her arm across Liv's shoulders at least twice, then bumped her on the shot. That was a horrendous call.

On Autumn's travel, I looked at it 4 times. She was standing there and had not chosen a pivot foot. She took one step, dribbled, repositioned, and shot. I think the play was totally legit.
obvious foul committed against CW going to the bucket at some point in the second half...they could have called two on that play..got her low and on the arm....

Reaction Score
I noticed Mir never entered the game after playing in the first half. Anybody hear if their was an issue? She scored five points in her limited playing time in the 1st half and I didn't notice anything happing that would limit her playing time. This girl can jump and would give Gabby a rebounding challenge.

While I think Mir will eventually be a really good player, she is struggling with learning the plays and her defensive assignments right now. Coach Auriemma has repeatedly alluded to this in his interviews, and again did so in his post game comments last night.

Reaction Score
In his post game presser in the game thread, Geno explained that after Mir started out strong and aggressive, she disappeared into her own little world. This seems to be an issue and I think Geno is finally putting his foot down and delivering some harsh lessons. Geno said he guarantees that will not happen in practice tomorrow. The contrast between the way Geno describes Mir and Aaliyah is very interesting with Aaliyah getting praised at all levels from her incredible work ethic and intensity as well as picking things up fast. He said she will find more time on the floor.
I think he is being unfair. She did miss a defensive assignment but she wasn't the only one. Geno could have sat the entire team for the second half if that is the barometer. Asking MM to guard LPL was a tough task for a freshie in her second game. I'm not sure she is a great perimeter defender at this point but it would have been nice to see her go at LPL in the second half. The effort she gave deserved some more minutes in the second half. Of course I dont have 1000 wins and 11 championships, but I do have an opinion, for whatever that is worth! :)

Reaction Score
Fairly decent all around. I'm dismayed that people are complaining about referring 2 games into the season. Complaining about refs is like complaining about the rain. Everybody's going to get wet so stop complaining, get out your umbrella and move on.

I can't speak for others. I just made a simple reply that imo they were awful. Then I replied why I thought they were awful so much so I felt they affected the game way too much. No big deal from me other than imo they were awful.

Reaction Score
She uses that elbow jab every time... surprised it isn’t called more often. I wish she’d learn a jump hook.

Olivia looks as mechanical in her inside moves as she did as a freshman and it seems the elbow is a big part of her moves. Almost like in her mind she's saying, first do this, next do this, etc.
Having said that, she's very smooth on her outside shots so maybe she's more comfortable outside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom