Minnesota @ Notre Dame - 12/04/19 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Minnesota @ Notre Dame - 12/04/19

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
And yet this coach who is learning on the job just beat one of the most experienced coaches who always gets to choose from the best pool of recruits.

It was a nice win, but this is definitely the year to beat ND, as Tennessee, Michigan St., FGCU and South Dakota S.t have all previously shown (and they narrowly won against Fordham and Toledo; and they could easily be 5-7 after their next 2 games against UConn and DePaul).

Reaction Score

Notice any similarities to McCallie? :p
If McCallie gets beat up over it, why not McGraw?

You should listen to Katie Meiers pressers. Talk about critical! McCallie got beat up for anything she did.

There was very little if any objectivity as far as she was concerned by hardcore Duke Fans. Where there was nothing to criticize they created issues. I was at the Duke-Cal game. Hass was packed and about as loud as it had ever been. The band is situated right by the opponents' bench for good reason. I remember it was so loud I couldn't even hear the person right next to me unless they had their mouth right next to my ear. Well during the breaks when the Duke coach would talk to the players the band would be playing right next to them. The story was that McCalley was so angry she was yelling at her players throughout the game. Total BS, Duke dominated and if there was any yelling it was because that was the only way she could be heard next to the band.

They did this stuff all the time. I was very active on the Duke site for about 5 years but left because of the intense anti-McCalley negativity. I don't know her. Nor did I have an agenda with respect to her one way or the other, but I can say there was little objectivity by a very large number of Duke fans. This was while they were still relatively a top program and still bringing in top recruits. The fansite went from very active to a point where just one person was posting.

I have one thing for people to consider. Has there ever been an instance where a teams fans have spent so much effort for so long a time running down their own coach on not only their own fan site, but on every WCBB fan site in existence? I am sure that helped their recruiting. But now they can attribute it all to McCalley. Self-serving prophesy. Oh and McCalley is still there. So what was the point?

Reaction Score
....and another reason why I think Deb Antonelli is a dope as a commentator: plug in spot during the Indiana-Miami game had her on the ND floor with Sam Brunelle and she says “I am here with one of the TOP 3 point shooters in the country in Freshman Sam Brunelle”, meanwhile Sam is 12 for 53 for a stellar 22.6%. Technically she’s #49 in the country in most 3 point attempts but not in the Top 230 player for percent made. Aaarrrrggghhh! And this is su
....and another reason why I think Deb Antonelli is a dope as a commentator: plug in spot during the Indiana-Miami game had her on the ND floor with Sam Brunelle and she says “I am here with one of the TOP 3 point shooters in the country in Freshman Sam Brunelle”, meanwhile Sam is 12 for 53 for a stellar 22.6%. Technically she’s #49 in the country in most 3 point attempts but not in the Top 230 player for percent made. Aaarrrrggghhh! And this is supposed to enlighten our knowledge of the sport? Come on ACC producers, you can do better than to allow that drivel. I am trying to forget the “word play” that Mowins did with Lindsey and Deb as the was also dreadful. Wasn’t cute or funny.
"Aaarrrrggghhh!" is right! "Drivel" sums it up quite succinctly! Rampant throughout sportscasting, but IMO especially so in WBB. Not one of the usual suspects is skilled in play-by-play so all they do is talk, and talk, and talk some more about everything but. And then if they run out of superlatives for their current blather, their booth-mate will ask them an inane question that they can then pontificate drivel upon on for the next 5 minutes. Save the drivel for timeouts and other breaks if you must. All I want hear during the action is what's happening on the floor! I can ignore the rest at my leisure. It's come to my listening to music in lieu of the commentary most of the time. Incidentally, the "word play" you reference was beyond dreadful!

Reaction Score
Notice any similarities to McCallie? :p
If McCallie gets beat up over it, why not McGraw?
Some similarities:
- Throwing her players under the bus (“I’m very disappointed.”)
- Calling opponents’ players by number (“We couldn’t find 34” in the zone.”)
- Not holding herself accountable (“We have no pride in our defense. It’s really disappointing - I can’t really teach that.”)

But a big difference:
- JPM “Lessons learned”
- MM “I don’t have an answer for it.”

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think she could have been UConn's starting 4 this year. Maybe not at the start, but by the end of the year. She would have been a perfect fit in your offense.
BY default I suppose Brunelle could have been UCONN's starting 4 this year but she would have been far from a perfect fit. She is shooting 22% from deep and has more TO (22) than Assist (14). These things would have crippled the UCONN offense. Defensively she would not help ONO very much in the post defense and as a perimeter defender she would have been severely exploited even more than she is being exploited now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I didn't watch much of this game, but looking at the box score I see that Minnesota has just as much of a depth problem as Notre Dame. All the starters played 35+ minutes except for the player who had to sit due to foul trouble.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If ND is counting on Sniezek for scoring, they are in trouble.
Clearly ND is not. Sniezek is only shooting the ball 2.5 times per game. She has 23 FGA in 9 games next closes ND starter Peoples has 98 FGA.

Reaction Score
Here are Notre Dame produced highlights of the game.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe Brunelle will play better when ND gets better players, including Vaughn and some of the high ranked players coming in next season. She needs not to be the focal point of a team.

Reaction Score
And yet this coach who is learning on the job just beat one of the most experienced coaches who always gets to choose from the best pool of recruits.
BY default I suppose Brunelle could have been UCONN's starting 4 this year but she would have been far from a perfect fit. She is shooting 22% from deep and has more TO (22) than Assist (14). These things would have crippled the UCONN offense. Defensively she would not help ONO very much in the post defense and as a perimeter defender she would have been severely exploited even more than she is being exploited now.
Really? Do you not take into account who the other players on the floor are? She would have be the 5th option on the floor at UConn, which means wide open shots. She's a good passer, and her teammates would be more talented and probably finish more shots. The defense part sure, I can agree with that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Really? Do you not take into account who the other players on the floor are? She would have be the 5th option on the floor at UConn, which means wide open shots. She's a good passer, and her teammates would be more talented and probably finish more shots. The defense part sure, I can agree with that.
Yes really. I did take into account the other UCONN players that would be playing with her, my conclusion remains unchanged. She would not be helping the offense. As a passer for example Brunelle is light years behind Kyla and Anna. As a defender/rebounder she is an order of magnitude behind Aubrey. Those 3 (Anna, Kyla & Aubrey would be her primary competition for minutes at UCONN not to mention Batouly if she were healthy. BTW Brunelle is getting wide open shots now and not making many- that is by design of the ND opponents. This concept that Brunelle can be used to spread the floor is pure fantasy. At UCONN Brunelle would have ensured that ONO get doubled consistently.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I believe Brunelle will play better when ND gets better players, including Vaughn and some of the high ranked players coming in next season. She needs not to be the focal point of a team.
Maybe, but three times (2016, 2017, & 2018) at USA basketball Brunelle was surrounded by some of the most talented US players in the 2019-21 classes & she did not play well.

1575568479254.png

Reaction Score
Yes really. I did take into account the other UCONN players that would be playing with her, my conclusion remains unchanged. She would not be helping the offense. As a passer for example Brunelle is light years behind Kyla and Anna. As a defender/rebounder she is an order of magnitude behind Aubrey. Those 3 (Anna, Kyla & Aubrey would be her primary competition for minutes at UCONN not to mention Batouly if she were healthy. BTW Brunelle is getting wide open shots now and not making many- that is by design of the ND opponents. This concept that Brunelle can be used to spread the floor is pure fantasy. At UCONN Brunelle would have ensured that ONO get doubled consistently.
She's already light years ahead of Kyla. And she's been playing better than Aubrey and Anna, who are also freshman. So I'll give them that, none of them are even close to figuring it out yet.

Anna is a very good passer. Kyla just knows the system. She knows what to do, who to look for, and her teammates know what to do as well. ND has two returning players of their six healthy players. One was injured, and the other hardly played.

Reaction Score

Is Vaughn that kind of impact player?

Reaction Score
"Aaarrrrggghhh!" is right! "Drivel" sums it up quite succinctly! Rampant throughout sportscasting, but IMO especially so in WBB. Not one of the usual suspects is skilled in play-by-play so all they do is talk, and talk, and talk some more about everything but. And then if they run out of superlatives for their current blather, their booth-mate will ask them an inane question that they can then pontificate drivel upon on for the next 5 minutes. Save the drivel for timeouts and other breaks if you must. All I want hear during the action is what's happening on the floor! I can ignore the rest at my leisure. It's come to my listening to music in lieu of the commentary most of the time. Incidentally, the "word play" you reference was beyond dreadful!

Agree, totally. The problem is that the drivel used to come during timeouts but today every timeout is a 3 minute ad. There is no dead time. I also find myself muting the audio. I'd like to play the radio call along with the video but there is usually too much of a time gap to make it useful. I have found that the running box score on my laptop gives me the vital information of who the foul was on and who is coming in and out of the game, things that the chatty Kathy's feel is less important than knowing some player's hobbies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Is Vaughn that kind of impact player?
I don't know. I heard she was. I've heard some announcers say wait until Vaughn returns, they will be better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom