Media Availability Today -- Wed., June 14th (merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Media Availability Today -- Wed., June 14th (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
View attachment 88985

This picture was taken on December 8 of last year during the Princeton game. It's been posted many times. When the TV announcer looked at this picture, he asked...."How many points do you think are sitting on that bench?" Now I'm asking you!! How many points do you see here?
Well based on their best performances at UConn I'll say Paige 20.0 ppg, Azzi 15.1 ppg, and Dorka 14.2 ppg, so 49.3 ppg.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In Paige's interview, she may not play even if she's cleared. The are weighing her options since the games don't mean much until November.
I’m not in any hurry for her to return. She’ll return at some point. In the meantime, I’m looking for Amari, KK, and Caroline. Hopefully, we get to see them in Europe. I want to see everyone, but especially those 3. There will be plenty to talk about and speculate about after those 4 exhibition games.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Okay, I know Ayanna had a previous commitment, and Amari may still be rehabbing (but couldn't she be made available for media coverage?), but where's my gal Ines?
I think our gal has been greatly underserved by the media. She's got a great story. Why not let her talk about it?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
LOL, when I searched for Amari, this came up. Love this play

I remember that play. It was a “bang-bang” play that you can’t practice. As I recall, it was on that evening’s SportsCenter top 10 plays. And rightly so.

Reaction Score
Been great to watch these after some long work days. Just wondering if they got to interview Geno

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I’m guessing yesterday was about the players and Geno will meet with the media at his golf tournament next week. CD will sub for Geno at the coaches road show event which is the same day as Geno’s charity golf tournament. Hopefully we’ll hear from both Geno and Chris that day.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm not in a hurry to see Paige, Azzi, Caroline and now Amari rushed back. None are cleared for 5 on 5.

There is a long way to go for the season to start. A lot has to happen when full practice starts.

Reaction Score
I'm not in a hurry to see Paige, Azzi, Caroline and now Amari rushed back. None are cleared for 5 on 5.

There is a long way to go for the season to start. A lot has to happen when full practice starts.

None?? I thought Azzi and Caroline were cleared

Reaction Score
None?? I thought Azzi and Caroline were cleared

I believe Caroline is and Azzi said she was about 95%, the rest just comes from actually being on the court.

Reaction Score
It occurs to me that we have many reasons for hoping Paige can equal or surpass her freshman year’s play. First, for Paige herself, second, to win (hopefully) #12, third, if she can play like that, she is going to make lots of $! If she makes lots of $, she will be more likely to come back with Azzi for 24-25 and possibly even 25-26!

Reaction Score
I believe Caroline is and Azzi said she was about 95%, the rest just comes from actually being on the court.
I think she meant real games. Not 100% sure but it sounds like only Ice and Paige aren’t cleared for pick up games.

Reaction Score
It occurs to me that we have many reasons for hoping Paige can equal or surpass her freshman year’s play. First, for Paige herself, second, to win (hopefully) #12, third, if she can play like that, she is going to make lots of $! If she makes lots of $, she will be more likely to come back with Azzi for 24-25 and possibly even 25-26!
Paige was asked about that in her interview and she basically smiled and said all the customary things: we'll see, haven't thought about that yet, not thinking that far ahead, etc. If the money was something she cared about, she'd just say she's gonna milk the gravy train for as long as she can, but she's keeping her options open, and her decision will probably depend more on how this season goes than the money. My take is these high level athletes don't want to be here longer than they have to. Megan didn't. Tuck didn't. Azura didn't. Even Dorka was out of here until she broke her wrist and didn't want to end her college career like that. If Paige has the kind of season she envisions, and can lead the team to a national championship, and is a projected top 3 draft pick, it's going to be hard not to move on with her class especially when she's already a little bit on the older side.

Reaction Score
I will add a 4th. it varies a lot of course, but there are some players coming back from ACL's that approach their pre-injury level in their first year back but then continue improving some more in their second year back, as if it sometimes takes two seasons to get back to 100% from that serious an injury.

If Paige is not quite all the way back, and is significantly better the tail end of this season then there could be reason to believe that some improvement will continue the following season, increasing the chance she would return and get a full season at peak form IMO. If she is close but not quite 100% back at the end of this season, the WNBA season starts right after, so waiting a year could have her entering the WNBA in peak condition as well.

Reaction Score
Hypothetical, if the Huskies win #12 this season and the Lynx win the WNBA lottery for the first pick in the draft does Paige head home to Minnesota to lead the resurgence to the top by the Lynx?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hypothetical, if the Huskies win #12 this season and the Lynx win the WNBA lottery for the first pick in the draft does Paige head home to Minnesota to lead the resurgence to the top by the Lynx?
That’s one scenario. I prefer the one where the Huskies win #12 this season and Paige decides to return to UConn for a run at #13….:)

Reaction Score
That’s one scenario. I prefer the one where the Huskies win #12 this season and Paige decides to return to UConn for a run at #13….:)
Don't want to let it sit at 13 too long (we've had enough bad luck) , should probably use that third remaining year of eligibility and exit after #14

Reaction Score
Paige was asked about that in her interview and she basically smiled and said all the customary things: we'll see, haven't thought about that yet, not thinking that far ahead, etc. If the money was something she cared about, she'd just say she's gonna milk the gravy train for as long as she can, but she's keeping her options open, and her decision will probably depend more on how this season goes than the money. My take is these high level athletes don't want to be here longer than they have to. Megan didn't. Tuck didn't. Azura didn't. Even Dorka was out of here until she broke her wrist and didn't want to end her college career like that. If Paige has the kind of season she envisions, and can lead the team to a national championship, and is a projected top 3 draft pick, it's going to be hard not to move on with her class especially when she's already a little bit on the older side.

I don't know about the money. She's still going to make NIL money in the W. That money doesn't go away. I think it's more to do with, she's here 4 years and ready to go. If they win a championship, I would say she's out.

For those saying she wants to play another year with Azzi, can't she go after the 2023-2024 season?

Reaction Score
NIL has changed things considerably! Paige has a whole different set of options!

Reaction Score
I think it’s doubtful Paige will be back to even the end of her sophomore year form by the end of the season. By summer 2024 she’ll be closer to freshman year Paige, whether she wants to go into the WNBA at a lower level is anyone’s guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom