Marquette Hiring Shaka Smart | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marquette Hiring Shaka Smart

Reaction Score
Texas made one final 4 since the NCAA expanded to 64 teams, actually since before the field expanded to 16 teams, that's 74 years. It's just not a place people win at. It's a great hire, Hurley was a great hire for UConn.
Totally disagree about Texas. Look at these stats:

All time wins: 17th
NCAA appearances: T11th
NBA first round picks: 16th

Smart replaced Rick Barnes who went to the NCAA 16 out of 17 years, had a 0.691 winning %, made 1 Final Four, 2 Elite 8s and 2 Sweet 16s. Texas replaced Barnes with Smart in hopes of getting Texas to the next level.

Smart recruited really well at Texas with generally top 20 classes each year and he averaged 3 top 125 recruits per year. Bottom line is Smart didn’t get it done at Texas with top talent and deep financial resources. He certainly didn’t match Barnes’ performance at Texas.

Reaction Score
When you don't win a single tournament game in your tenure...it is understandable that the seat was very, very warm.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seems like DJ Carton went there specifically to play for Wojo so I wouldn’t be surprised if he left.
I have no idea but if the guy is enjoying the school, going from Wojo to Smart doesn't seem like a huge adjustment.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree about Texas. Look at these stats:

All time wins: 17th
NCAA appearances: T11th
NBA first round picks: 16th

Smart replaced Rick Barnes who went to the NCAA 16 out of 17 years, had a 0.691 winning %, made 1 Final Four, 2 Elite 8s and 2 Sweet 16s. Texas replaced Barnes with Smart in hopes of getting Texas to the next level.

Smart recruited really well at Texas with generally top 20 classes each year and he averaged 3 top 125 recruits per year. Bottom line is Smart didn’t get it done at Texas with top talent and deep financial resources. He certainly didn’t match Barnes’ performance at Texas.
They have the most money in college sports and they haven't won anything. The one time they made a final four in the last 74 years was when they played their tournament games 1 hour away from campus leading up to the final 4.

Reaction Score
Texas has everything you need to win National Championships, yet they don’t. It’s a tough job, they are never happy and they have no patience. I bet Shaka makes a Final Four at Marquette within 4 years.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. I wonder why Texas would have an issue with Shaka...... smart. Hmmmmmm. Can’t put my finger on it.
Read Billion Dollar Ball and forget the innuendoes.

With all the money they generate from sports they like to win and ZERO tournament wins has a way of hustling people out the door.

Reaction Score
Texas has everything you need to win National Championships, yet they don’t. It’s a tough job, they are never happy and they have no patience. I bet Shaka makes a Final Four at Marquette within 4 years.
Hmmm easy now

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If Texas gets Beard, this works out perfectly for all parties, but ESPECIALLY Shaka.

Would note that he and Dan Hurley have the same number of NCAAT wins since VCU went to the FF.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why if Shaka had good recruiting classes but never won an NCAA tourney game that is B/c it’s hard to win at Texas?! As far as I know ncaa games are played on neutral courts and teams with better players have an advantage.

TX may not be all about basketball, but that’s not determinative of NC2A success. Shaka is a name coach so good to have him in BE. But to this point he’s proven not to be the wonderkind Brad Stevens adjacent coaching whiz that everyone thought he was when VCU made the final four.

Reaction Score
I think we understate the amount of interest in basketball in Texas. Right now Baylor and Houston are in the elite 8. I think there are 7 Texas programs in the P5 plus AAC. 3 NBA teams. Add in Oklahoma and there is a lot of basketball to be watched in that area. Texas should be top 2 in that conference every year with the $$$$$ resources it has.

Reaction Score
I think we understate the amount of interest in basketball in Texas. Right now Baylor and Houston are in the elite 8. I think there are 7 Texas programs in the P5 plus AAC. 3 NBA teams. Add in Oklahoma and there is a lot of basketball to be watched in that area. Texas should be top 2 in that conference every year with the $$$$$ resources it has.
Plus Austin is as close to diverse as you’ll find in Tx.

Reaction Score
One thing that is overlooked about Smart’s time at VCU is his assistant coaches. The five main assistants during his time at VCU are now all head coaches. His first coaching staff at VCU included Will Wade (LSU HC), Mike Rhoads (VCU HC), and Mike Jones (Radford HC). When Jones left, Jamian Christian (George Washington HC) was hired. When Christian left, Jeremy Ballard (FIU HC) was hired.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom