Marquette Hiring Shaka Smart | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marquette Hiring Shaka Smart

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Got to imagine this is a long term plan for Shaka, which is great for the conference. He wasn’t “great” at Texas (especially in regards to NCAA results) but he was really good. Got to imagine he could have gone to another P5 job if he wanted out of Texas, so this is huge for the long term of our conference.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
In 6 years at Texas: 4 NCAA appearances, 2 20 win seasons (19 this year & 19 last year, both came up short of 20 due to Covid. Would have definitely had 20 this year.), 1 Big 12 Tournament title, 3 first round draft picks.

Reaction Score
He was 52-56 in the Big 12 and at or below .500 in conference 4 of his 6 years there.

I have him on my team as one of those guys you think are better than they really are because they have a cool name. Captain of that team is Tony Romo.
He went 163-56 at VCU and went to the NCAA tournament 5 out of his 6 seasons there and took them to a final 4. He made the tournament 3 out of his 5 years at Texas and won the NIT. No tournament wins, obviously disappointing but not nearly as bad as some are making it out. He was unbelievable at VCU. For whatever reasons nobody really wins big at Texas. He's not overrated, homerun hire.

Reaction Score
It's probably better than Marquette could do otherwise but as many have pointed out, Smart hasn't been good at Texas. Not sure he'll work any wonders at Marquette but he's certainly worth a shot.
I think it was probably going to be between Shaka and Moser. Can't really go wrong with either, Marquette is a very good job.

Reaction Score
Some Texas fans have been saying that Shaka has been stealing Texas' money....with zero tournament wins in six years.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is a great hire by Marquette. Smart is only 43, and after the Texas experience, the top programs are going to be hesitant about raiding Marquette for him and he will be hesitant about leaving.

Smart has flaws, but I can't come up with anyone that would be a better fit.

Texas is a surprisingly tough place to win. Barnes had a nice run in the aughts, but the last time Texas played on the second weekend of the tournament was 2008, and they posted double digit losses in all but 2 seasons since. One of those 2 seasons was this year, with a shortened schedule.

Reaction Score
That's a great hire. Gonna be great in the regular season but I'm not worried about him beating us in the tournament lol
Think it’s a good young high profile hire for the conference and a guy we were once fond of here not to long ago

Reaction Score
Shaka Smart became a coach in demand after winning acclaim in a stint at Virginia Commonwealth He was hired at the University of Texas with much fanfare He has had a winning record but had been under fire for no NCAA Tournament wins

Reaction Score
He went 163-56 at VCU and went to the NCAA tournament 5 out of his 6 seasons there and took them to a final 4. He made the tournament 3 out of his 5 years at Texas and won the NIT. No tournament wins, obviously disappointing but not nearly as bad as some are making it out. He was unbelievable at VCU. For whatever reasons nobody really wins big at Texas. He's not overrated, homerun hire.
Rick Barnes had easily the best career of any coach at UT and he is still roundly mocked for postseason failures. It's just not an easy job for some reason.

Reaction Score
Rick Barnes was a really good coach at Texas. Overall record 402-180 (0.691 winning %), 186-94 in conference. Won 20 or more games in 15 out of 17 seasons (2 others were 19 and 16). Went to NCAA tournament in 16/17 years. Made a Final Four plus 2 Elite 8s. But, Texas wanted more and Shaka was not the answer.

Reaction Score
Wondering how the Marquette players are going to react to this. Hopefully they can keep DJ Carton and Dawson Garcia on their roster, but it’s never easy to keep players after a coaching change. Seems like DJ Carton went there specifically to play for Wojo so I wouldn’t be surprised if he left.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wondering how the Marquette players are going to react to this. Hopefully they can keep DJ Carton and Dawson Garcia on their roster, but it’s never easy to keep players after a coaching change. Seems like DJ Carton went there specifically to play for Wojo so I wouldn’t be surprised if he left.
Most kids love playing for Smart - don't think that Wojo was a favorite for some
They will not have problems getting and keeping kids under Smart

Reaction Score
Most kids love playing for Smart - don't think that Wojo was a favorite for some
They will not have problems getting and keeping kids under Smart
I was thinking the same thing. It seems like an upgrade, but also I feel like sometimes it’s not about if the coach is an upgrade it’s about the fact that the players signed up to play for a different coach. But it’s 100% a wait and see situation. Curious to see how it plays out.

I agree that Shaka Smart will not have any issues getting people to go play for him at Marquette.

Reaction Score
Between the nonsense down there both with boosters and the lunatics complaining about their racists school song I am not surprised.
Hmmm. I wonder why Texas would have an issue with Shaka...... smart. Hmmmmmm. Can’t put my finger on it.

Reaction Score
Big East still luring top coaching talent. If DePaul can manage Moser or Payne that would be terrific.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think it was probably going to be between Shaka and Moser. Can't really go wrong with either, Marquette is a very good job.

Assume DePaul is too lateral and too contentious for Moser. Seems like they are looking at Kenny Payne.

Agree this is a great hire for Marquette. He should be there a long time.

Reaction Score

Yeah. I know what he did at VCU. You know, back when Ollie was doing good things here.

Reaction Score
Shaka Smart did not win a single tournament game at the University of Texas and people are talking about him like he's Red Auerbach and these same posters are suggesting Hurley has to look himself in the mirror and may be on the hot seat without a tournament run next year.

Reaction Score
Watch for Shaka hiring RJ Evans as an assistant
Kenya Hunter to Marquette perhaps? Not sure if he will look for another assistant job or try to be a head coach somewhere

Reaction Score
Boneyard Logic:

Shaka Smart - no tournament wins in 6 seasons at Texas but a GREAT hire for Marquette.

Dan Hurley - no tournament wins in 3 seasons at UCONN (pitchforks and torches, just a good small school coach)
I love many things about Hurley. We are in such a better place, a completely diff area code than before. Thankful for that...But some young coach warts have been exposed...

1) In-game adjustments: why are we always playing other team's style?
2) Too many gritty guys that can't shoot, need more offensively skilled guys. I don't care if they're from NJ/Philly. Can they get buckets?
3) Too loyal to under-talented players (esp. guards that won't get us back to being UConn).
4) Offensive gameplan is atrocious, pound ball outside 3-pt line

I think he will adjust but man he has so some serious warts. I think we found a potential long-term guy and super excited about the trajectory. Loss to Creighton and Maryland have me a bit concerned he is stubborn to his guys and like many of us, a thinker that takes too long to make adjustments.

If I was a betting man, I'd say he gets it fixed. These 3 scholarships will tell us a lot. Will they be gritty, under-talented but system guys or guys that can put the ball in the hoop?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom