March 2021 Recruiting Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

March 2021 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I had no idea Timea Gardiner committed to Oregon State. Just happened in the last couple hours.

There is some posts on the General board about it. Her and Beers will make a great frontcourt duo.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There is some posts on the General board about it. Her and Beers will make a great frontcourt duo.
About time Rueck got some real talent too. Lets see how he handles it. Who knows? Maybe one day Doug Bruno will get a top ten recruit. It could happen.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I don't think she's even the first to choose Oregon State over Stanford. But that's rare!
Mikayla Pivec was a confirmed admit. Von Oelhoffen was a target too, but don't know her admit status. And we don't know whether Gardiner was admitted or not. But as time progressed it was less clear to me where she'd fit in, since we have three 6'2" players coming in next season, and 6'7" Betts the season after. What we really, really need is a commitment from Kiki Rice, because we will be very lean at the point once Kiana Williams graduates.

Reaction Score
Mikayla Pivec was a confirmed admit. Von Oelhoffen was a target too, but don't know her admit status. And we don't know whether Gardiner was admitted or not. But as time progressed it was less clear to me where she'd fit in, since we have three 6'2" players coming in next season, and 6'7" Betts the season after. What we really, really need is a commitment from Kiki Rice, because we will be very lean at the point once Kiana Williams graduates.
This is interesting regarding Kiki. Certainly from a PG need standpoint Stanford might have a hole there, while Uconn already has two good ones only a year ahead of Kiki. While most label her a point guard, at her size with versatile skills I could see her being effective from 1-3. If she wants to play point guard and thinks of herself that way, Stanford would seem to have an obvious edge. A Uconn role might be more of a swiss army knife type that could be plugged into various positions (ala Evina this year) but also with no clear path to a starting position.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Is she the first kid ever to turn down a free Stanford education?
Some kid named Rebecca Lobo decided on an inferior education and you see how see turned out. :rolleyes:

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
This is interesting regarding Kiki. Certainly from a PG need standpoint Stanford might have a hole there, while Uconn already has two good ones only a year ahead of Kiki. While most label her a point guard, at her size with versatile skills I could see her being effective from 1-3. If she wants to play point guard and thinks of herself that way, Stanford would seem to have an obvious edge. A Uconn role might be more of a swiss army knife type that could be plugged into various positions (ala Evina this year) but also with no clear path to a starting position.
Kiki is tall for a PG but I believe that's how she's being recruited as well as her preferred position to play in college. Certainly everyone in our neck of the woods has been viewing her recruitment through that lens, esp. after Olivia Miles became a Domer.

Reaction Score
Few things delighted me more than this way-too-candid interview with Lisa Leslie. Turns out you can go pro at basketball and still wish you'd gotten a top flight education. :D

"I really didn't realize what an Ivy League was back then."

?? Or apparently not now, either. How could she have gotten into Stanford?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
OK Ivy+, if we want to split hairs about it. ;)
Yeah, yeah ... Ivy of the south Duke, and Ivy of the west Stanford, blah, blah, blah. :eek: Next thing I know some English person is going to start talking about the Ivy of the UK Oxford, or the Ivy of Europe the Sorbonne :cool:

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Dick Cavett, after someone referred to Stanford as the "Harvard of the West," quipped that he had gone to Yale, which was the "Harvard of the East." :)
That's a good one!

From when I first got to campus, I remember noticing a joke poster calling Harvard the "Stanford of the East."

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
A great education can be had at many schools including UCONN.
Totally agree. What you do with the opportunities you have is a hell of a lot more important than what those opportunities are. If Morgan William's buzzer beating game winner over UConn a few years back proved anything, it's that how you play the hand you're dealt matters at least as much as the hand itself.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno spoke at the Middlesex County Chamber of Commerce breakfast on Monday morning. This is an annual event for Geno, always a few days before the NCAA tournament.

This year's event was virtual and a video of the event has been posted in another thread.
During the Q & A Geno mentioned that he has 2 commits from the class of 2022 and expects 1 or 2 more. We know Ice Brady is one of the commits but we don't know yet who is the 2nd commit. Timing suggests it may be Patterson -- UConn is one of 5 finalists and she announces on Saturday -- but we don't really know for sure.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno spoke at the Middlesex County Chamber of Commerce breakfast on Monday morning. This is an annual event for Geno, always a few days before the NCAA tournament.

This year's event was virtual and a video of the event has been posted in another thread.
During the Q & A Geno mentioned that he has 2 commits from the class of 2022 and expects 1 or 2 more. We know Ice Brady is one of the commits but we don't know yet who is the 2nd commit. Timing suggests it may be Patterson -- UConn is one of 5 finalists and she announces on Saturday -- but we don't really know for sure.
Oh baby, bring 'em on. Ayanna Patterson, c'mon down!

Reaction Score

That’s amazing news!!! The more the merrier!!

Reaction Score

Just watched it! Really interesting watch if anyone’s interested it’s up on youtube (34:00 starts talking about recruiting)
Said he has two kids that he can’t say who they are yet and then 1 more maybe 2 more coming. Stated kids are going to have a tough time seeing the court. Looks like we have a good chance of another strong class.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99