Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 837 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not sure about that with last year’s UConn team

Personally, I am absolutely sure.

College basketball advocates vs. the NBA have the same non arguments as College football vs. The NFL.

Regardless of program. Regardless of sport, there are always more pro-ready players on the NBA or NFL team, by virtue of being in the league, than the college franchise.

On April 7, UConn had 5, maybe 6, players that could play pro ball right now somewhere in the world. The NBA is the best league in the world in the the aggregate and each team has at least 12 NBA caliber players.

Alabama has maybe 15 draftable and UFA players right now. The NFL is basically the only league and has 53 pros.

The math pretty much does itself.

Reaction Score
He really said "keeping the Big Four together"......UNC, Wake, Duke, NC State.....

ACC think...not bad for basketball though.

Reaction Score
Personally, I am absolutely sure.

College basketball advocates vs. the NBA have the same non arguments as College football vs. The NFL.

Regardless of program. Regardless of sport, there are always more pro-ready players on the NBA or NFL team, by virtue of being in the league, than the college franchise.

On April 7, UConn had 5, maybe 6, players that could play pro ball right now somewhere in the world. The NBA is the best league in the world in the the aggregate and each team has at least 12 NBA caliber players.

Alabama has maybe 15 draftable and UFA players right now. The NFL is basically the only league and has 53 pros.

The math pretty much does itself.
UConn has 5 players that could get drafted.. two who have a chance of being all stars..NBA teams have lost to European teams in the past..UConn has a 7’2” guy who can stop guards from getting to the rim.. UConn runs a great offense that might give NBA teams trouble.. I think in a best of 7 UConn can keep it close in at least one of the games

Husky25

Reaction Score
UConn has 5 players that could get drafted.. two who have a chance of being all stars..NBA teams have lost to European teams in the past..UConn has a 7’2” guy who can stop guards from getting to the rim.. UConn runs a great offense that might give NBA teams trouble.. I think in a best of 7 UConn can keep it close in at least one of the games
1 in the late 1st round and 2 in the 2nd...maybe. That also leaves 7 scholarship undrafted free agents. How many NBA teams have that many on their active roster at any given time?

I love UConn, but provided the NBA side takes these hypothetical games seriously, UConn get smoked everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Reaction Score
I love UConn, but provided the NBA side takes these hypothetical games seriously, UConn get smoked everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
"If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight." Dan Hurley before a hypothetical game with an NBA team quoting Herb Brooks.

Reaction Score
College sports is a minor league. The Detroit Pistons would go 4-0 in a 7 game series against UConn, winning each game by 30+ points. So you are incorrect.
Obfuscation, it's what's for dinner.
Oh, you're still incorrect.

Reaction Score

You are debating a minor and irrelevant detail.

Let's say we concede that you are correct--that once in a while, 2024 UConn could give 2024 Detroit Pistons a game.

Do you really think a select league of college level teams--stripped of all the national rooting interest of the alumni of 300+ schools--will compete with the pro leagues? Get real.

I love how the FSU fanboys assume we will just latch on some P2 team--like they hope FSU will become--and keep spending as if nothing changed. Because FSU games have earned high ratings on TV, or something.

But you have heard the reality from multiple people in these discussions. Fans of schools left on the outside--out of spite, if nothing else--will be rooting for the P2 to trip over their own dicks and faceplant, once the advertisers get wise and all the media money dries up.

Here is a history lesson:

In the early days of the NFL, the Maras and the Halases realized that their teams would earn an outsized share of the league's wealth. They could have dominated the league forever, but they had the foresight to realize it was in everyone's interest to have some level of parity and revenue sharing. In subsequent years the owners looked to expand the league whenever they could. They are still looking to put teams in new territories. They created a league that will soon hit a trillion dollars of revenue, if it hasn't already.

What the P2 is trying to do now is the exact opposite, and they are doing it out of foolish shortsightedness and greed. I would not be surprised if some idiot firm like MicKinsey were advising these people.

What the P2 should be doing is looking to expand college sports. Try to make Division 1 even bigger for all sports. Keep adding fans in new places. Maybe even invite the Canadian schools to participate.

Fat chance, though. We are headed down a sad path, and I doubt we will change at this point.

Reaction Score
1 in the late 1st round and 2 in the 2nd...maybe. That also leaves 7 scholarship undrafted free agents. How many NBA teams have that many on their active roster at any given time?

I don’t know who gets drafted where for UConn but an NBA team would win every game, assuming both sides took it seriously. Even if you assume the starters could keep it close, and I’m not sure they would, the bench would be too deep. If UConn has 5 Potential NBA players, every NBA team has 15 actual ones. Well, not counting the NETS, LOL!

Husky25

Reaction Score
"If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight." Dan Hurley before a hypothetical game with an NBA team quoting Herb Brooks.
Irrelevant.

For one thing, the 1980 USA hockey team was not a squad of individual All-Stars, per se, The players invited to camp were selected specifically to engineer a team to beat the Soviets at that specific time and place. Brooks also had a nationwide pool of the best individual American amateur players in the country from which to select the right one.

As dominant as they were, UConn can draw upon only the 2024 squad, who are a collection of players recruited over a 4 year period to win a college national championship. Also, If Hurley had his druthers a key player or two would not have been on the 2024 team. The full court press for Cam Spencer was triggered by Nick Timberlake choosing Kansas. It's arguable that Plan B has ever worked out better.

There's a story about Brian Scalabrine who played 11 seasons in the NBA and was the Chief Playoff Towel Waver on the 2008 World Champion Boston Celtics (KG, Pierce, & our own Walter Ray Allen, Jr.). "Playing this YMCA rec league, I dropped 60 in a game," Scalabrine said on Duncan Robinson's podcast. "I wasn't trying to brag or anything like that. It was just like, 'Yeah, I had a good game. I had 60 the other night in my rec league.' So, people immediately started tweeting, 'You suck, Scal. I'll beat you.' I'm like, 'Listen. I may suck for an NBA player. Those guys are pretty good. But I don't suck compared to you. You suck compared to me. ...

Scal played 4 guys one-on-one, including a player with D1 experience. He outscored them by a combined 44-6.

..."There's a legendary quote that came from that, which is that, 'I'm way closer to LeBron than you are to me,'" the Miami Heat sharpshooter said.

FWIW, DraftKings put the Pistons as a -45 favorite vs UConn. I think UConn might cover that, but they aren't winning a single game, outright.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
Incorrect. People who care about sports enjoy high level competition regardless of the team's playing.
AAA baseball is pretty high level competition. The largest AAA ballpark in terms of capacity is home to the Buffalo Bison. They draw about 7,000, which comprises about 44% of the seating area, and less than 1/2 of the poorest drawing MLB team (outside Oakland, whose fans are protesting), at far lower prices.

It's not an active boycott, but I for one have pretty much stopped watching Non-UConn college football. I'm just not interested. As the P5 inch closer to a pro model, it becomes less captivating. 90% of the games mean nothing and a better product is played on Sunday.

Last edited:

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Irrelevant.

For one thing, the 1980 USA hockey team was not a squad of individual All-Stars, per se, The players invited to camp were selected specifically to engineer a team to beat the Soviets at that specific time and place. Brooks also had a nationwide pool of the best individual American amateur players in the country from which to select the right one.

As dominant as they were, UConn can draw upon only the 2024 squad, who are a collection of players recruited over a 4 year period to win a college national championship. Also, If Hurley had his druthers a key player or two would not have been on the 2024 team. The full court press for Cam Spencer was triggered by Nick Timberlake choosing Kansas. It's arguable that Plan B has ever worked out better.

There's a story about Brian Scalabrine who played 11 seasons in the NBA and was the Chief Playoff Towel Waver on the 2008 World Champion Boston Celtics (KG, Pierce, & our own Walter Ray Allen, Jr.). "Playing this YMCA rec league, I dropped 60 in a game," Scalabrine said on Duncan Robinson's podcast. "I wasn't trying to brag or anything like that. It was just like, 'Yeah, I had a good game. I had 60 the other night in my rec league.' So, people immediately started tweeting, 'You suck, Scal. I'll beat you.' I'm like, 'Listen. I may suck for an NBA player. Those guys are pretty good. But I don't suck compared to you. You suck compared to me. ...

Scal played 4 guys one-on-one, including a player with D1 experience. He outscored them by a combined 44-6.

..."There's a legendary quote that came from that, which is that, 'I'm way closer to LeBron than you are to me,'" the Miami Heat sharpshooter said.

FWIW, DraftKings put the Pistons as a -45 favorite vs UConn. I think UConn might cover that, but they aren't winning a single game, outright.

Agree, it's silly to think UConn could beat an NBA team, anyone arguing otherwise is nuts. Watch someNBA playoff games when they're trying. Those guys are good.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Agree, it's silly to think UConn could beat an NBA team, anyone arguing otherwise is nuts. Watch someNBA playoff games when they're trying. Those guys are good.
Neither Alabama, nor Georgia are beating the Jets (or Panthers) either...ever.

Reaction Score
Neither Alabama, nor Georgia are beating the Jets (or Panthers) either...ever.
I know we are in silly season here but I think basketball would be closer than football mostly owing to the line play. Reality is NFL lines are going to be bigger and stronger and more durable.

I figure with basketball you could get the right amount of team play and the NBA team wouldn't be nearly as into it and live up to their skill an ability. I mean the college team beat the "dream team" no?

Football I just see being 8 shades of ugly because of the trenches. Basketball has a shot because of the team aspect and the trust involved in operating on the floor. Both likely lose but thats how I'm seeing it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I know we are in silly season here but I think basketball would be closer than football mostly owing to the line play. Reality is NFL lines are going to be bigger and stronger and more durable.

I figure with basketball you could get the right amount of team play and the NBA team wouldn't be nearly as into it and live up to their skill an ability. I mean the college team beat the "dream team" no?

Football I just see being 8 shades of ugly because of the trenches. Basketball has a shot because of the team aspect and the trust involved in operating on the floor. Both likely lose but thats how I'm seeing it.

Oh please!! First of all, they didn't play Duke (Impossible, given as Laettner was on The Dream Team) or UNLV as a single team. It was a collection of lottery picks.

Second, it is a thinly veiled fact that Chuck Daly threw the first game vs the College All-Stars in order to bond the team. Jordan barely played in the first scrimmage. What happened the next day? The Dream Team lit them up like they were Cuba in the Tournament of the Americas.

More from Scalabrine:
"They don't recognize what you and me do recognize," Scalabrine told Robinson. "When you're in the NBA, there's all kinds of tells, right? Like if a guy puts his hand like that, you know what he's gonna do. If a guy does a hesitation, you know what he's gonna do. All that stuff is like in real time in the NBA, you got to be so on top of the reads. It's not speed. You can't look at me and say my brain is slow. My brain is fast. My body might be slow, but I have to read whether a guy's gonna shoot, drive, go to the middle, pass. If you're not reading those things, you're not playing in the NBA."

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom