Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 435 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
The Twitter media. Aka Torres and Norlander.

And because usually when people find out talks are going on it's because it's a purposeful media leak. This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum
Torres said that nothing was "set in stone". And that he wasn't saying that UConn, Gonzaga, or Arizona were 100%.

GG

Reaction Score
How many media leaks and speculation tweets were there before the USC UCLA announcement?
Both Flugqr and the WV “insider” broke that news in advance of an official announcement. Don’t know who else since I dd not really care and was not following it.

Reaction Score
What media comments said it was a done deal?

The AD Report said UConn and the Big 12 are talking. "The movement is gaining momentum but not guaranteed to happen. Both sides are still doing their homework."

And it was only 2 weeks ago that Russell Steinberg tweeted that Yormark was recently on campus but that it was "very exploratory" and does not mean anything is imminent.

Why do people think that something was going to happen NOW?
The reason negotiations drag on is that the sides are far apart. If UConn and B12 expectations were closely aligned to begin with, negotiations would have little reason to linger.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Conversely, if there was no deal happening, UConn would be lowering expectations and throwing reassuring kisses at the BE through various mouthpieces.
This is a really great point. Has AD David Benedict even used the words “Big East” in the last month? Contrast with PAC-12 guys who continually fall over themselves to say “we love it, we love it, we love it, but…”

Reaction Score
The reason negotiations drag on is that the sides are far apart. If UConn and B12 expectations were closely aligned to begin with, negotiations would have little reason to linger.
It might be that the Big 12 is waiting to get all the pieces in place before making a final announcement. UConn might be all set, but the other teams are still up in the air.

Reaction Score
Both Flugqr and the WV “insider” broke that news in advance of an official announcement. Don’t know who else since I dd not really care and was not following it.
Was this week's in advance with conjecture and speculation or it came out very shortly before the official announcement saying it was a done deal?

Reaction Score
Was this week's in advance with conjecture and speculation or it came out very shortly before the official announcement saying it was a done deal?
It was weeks in advance. Flugaur posted the story about USC calling the BIG 10 months in advance. The story about Flugaur and his scoop was in the LA Times.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I think my biggest concern with the move is the travel. Recall how disastrous our record in Texas was in the AAC even in the semi-decent years. Now add that our closest conference rival (WVU) would be even further than our closest conference rival in the AAC (Temple iirc)
I believe in football the reason we had bad records was the AD hired bad coaches in football. If the AD hired Nick Saban I think it would've been a better record, than Paul P, Bob Draco or Randy Edsel 2.0.

With a membership in the B12, we might have great coaches in the future, such as the replacement of Geno and maybe lacrosse.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The idea that the B12 has our answer and is just waiting on Arizona and Utah to make up their minds before making it official makes sense imo. It’d be a huge splash to announce 3 PAC schools and UConn at once, instead of just UConn and Colorado. Zona might need time to figure out the situation with ASU.

Reaction Score
There's been a theory posited here many times that the ACC felt it could leave UConn out in the cold for as long as needed, then if they needed UConn for strategic purposes or to fill a hole from a defection, the door would open.

Odd that there's nothing out there regarding the ACC looking at UConn. Early in the year they looked at Washington, Oregon, WVU, and SMU, but we were nowhere in the conversation. And now, if there's anything to these B12 rumors, still not a peep regarding UConn from Philips and his cronies.

I find that odd.

Anyway, if there is something to the rumors, I'd have to think Yormark might be kicking himself for taking a directional out of desperation when he could have had us all along for the asking.
If the ACC doesn’t appreciate UConn, Ef ‘em.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Is smoke starting to clear…. Looks like expansion is going to pass UConn again?
Unfortunately, the knock on UConn is it will always be available until it isn’t.
very premature to say that. Everybody is just sitting around waiting to see what’s happening with Colorado/the PAC. There’s a lot of moving parts here. I know a lot of teams have to move in June to avoid a big exit fee, so there’s that time constraint too

Reaction Score
Is smoke starting to clear…. Looks like expansion is going to pass UConn again?
Unfortunately, the knock on UConn is it will always be available until it isn’t.
Patience Anakin.

Reaction Score
Patience Anakin.
Trust me, I hope this happens But the fact Big 12 wants to wait for PAC 12 says everything. If they can get 4 or 2 of the ‘4 corner’ schools, UConn is once again pushed back in line.

From what I’m reading, I don’t think it’s likely for one or three to make the leap.

Reaction Score
Yep. There's no urgency to add us, and really why should there be?
Right now, there should be two conferences looking at UConn. One is growing, and one would be a defensive play.

How many other $100M AD’s are out there that deliver an entire state plus some surrounding regional markets.

Of those how many compete for NC’s in multiple sports and are top academic institutions?

Reaction Score
Right now, there should be two conferences looking at UConn. One is growing, and one would be a defensive play.

How many other $100M AD’s are out there that deliver an entire state plus some surrounding regional markets.

Of those how many compete for NC’s in multiple sports and are top academic institutions?
Hey you don't have to sell me on it. Every conference that cares about winning should be inviting us.

Reaction Score
The idea that the B12 has our answer and is just waiting on Arizona and Utah to make up their minds before making it official makes sense imo. It’d be a huge splash to announce 3 PAC schools and UConn at once, instead of just UConn and Colorado. Zona might need time to figure out the situation with ASU.
Also, as soon as you announce Colorado leaving the Pac 12 becomes infinitely more invested in keeping Arizona on board

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom