Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 434 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Anyway, if there is something to the rumors, I'd have to think Yormark might be kicking himself for taking a directional out of desperation when he could have had us all along for the asking.
The four schools were added before Yormark became the Big 12 Commissioner.

Reaction Score
There's been a theory posited here many times that the ACC felt it could leave UConn out in the cold for as long as needed, then if they needed UConn for strategic purposes or to fill a hole from a defection, the door would open.

Odd that there's nothing out there regarding the ACC looking at UConn. Early in the year they looked at Washington, Oregon, WVU, and SMU, but we were nowhere in the conversation. And now, if there's anything to these B12 rumors, still not a peep regarding UConn from Philips and his cronies.

I find that odd.

Anyway, if there is something to the rumors, I'd have to think Yormark might be kicking himself for taking a directional out of desperation when he could have had us all along for the asking.

My alma mater is in the ACC. My guess is that there isn't an appetite to expand unless it would result in existing members making a lot more money.

Also, if a school or schools are genuinely considering exiting, I doubt they'd want to add a new member that would likely be opposed to and vote against their agenda.

Reaction Score
My alma mater is in the ACC. My guess is that there isn't an appetite to expand unless it would result in existing members making a lot more money.

Also, if a school or schools are genuinely considering exiting, I doubt they'd want to add a new member that would likely be opposed to and vote against their agenda.
How about dumping some classic underperforming members? They have a few to choose from... BCU, Syracuse etc.

Reaction Score
How many Natty’s have we won in Texas? The men have 4, the women have 2. It’s the coaching and recruiting, not the travel, but that’s just my opinion.

Oh I know 4 of our 5 natties have been in Texas (lone one out being our first at the Trop), but I think it's a bit different when the travel is constant rather than a one-off tournament weekend. Consider too not far from Texas was also Wichita State, Tulane and Tulsa (and to a slightly lesser degree Memphis)

Reaction Score
We had the best basketball team in the country and struggled in conference on the road this year. We also lost two bus ride road games (Prov/Seton Hall), so apparently distance traveled is meaningless.

The traveling thing is so overblown, all of the conferences are going national because it helps their TV deal. The same people who knock the B12 because of travel hate the idea of adding UMASS and probably would be thrilled to see Gonzaga join the Big East.

I would be opposed to adding UMass but also would hate adding Gonzaga. Great basketball program but about as anti-Big and anti-East as it gets

Reaction Score
It is also to elevate football. That’s just as important as the other points, if not more.

I was about to post the same thing. I don't know who Aaron Torres is but he didn't do us any favors with that tweet, and he is wrong as joining the B12 is very much about elevating football while also maintaining our great basketball.

Reaction Score
He’s a fairly big reporter. He is a UConn alum
He also recently made a very interesting point that some of us are thinking too. The BIG 12 is trying to guarantee a seat at the table once the power conferences break from the NCAA and create their own league. By being by far the best basketball conference it greatly helps them not get left out because for the power schools to hold a legit March Madness tournament they will need the BIG 12. Hence the basketball only adds plus targeting UConn and Arizona.

Reaction Score
Just feels like Lucy is setting up to pull the ball away again…

Not going to think anything is happening until there is a Big 12 presser making the announcement.

Nothing against the Big East, but nobody in the Big East would turn down that money and opportunity.
From the story in the College AD, UConn and the Big 12 are talking. "The movement is gaining momentum but not guaranteed to happen. Both sides are still doing their homework." Even before today, nothing was imminent. People got excited because Yormark had a press conference and said that basketball was important and he wants a coast to coast conference. That's not new. He's been saying that all along. Plus, they are already in the Eastern Time Zone, so coast to coast could mean adding the Pac 12 teams. We were always behind the PAC 12 teams. Personally, I don't believe he is using UConn as a bait and switch scheme for the Pac 12 schools. We just have to understand our place in the pecking order. We're in the same place we were before today.

Reaction Score
Don't forget even if the B12 agrees to add all UConn sports to the B12, the two sides have to agree on the annual payments. There may be distance between both sides on the amounts. That can take time.

Reaction Score
Just feels like Lucy is setting up to pull the ball away again…

Not going to think anything is happening until there is a Big 12 presser making the announcement.

Nothing against the Big East, but nobody in the Big East would turn down that money and opportunity.
yeah if it's not already done then it's not happening. It's either done behind closed doors and they're waiting to announce or we're just being moved around as a piece on the chessboard. I hope the media comments about it being a "done deal" aren't coming from our camp because if so, oof. We should know better.

Reaction Score
ASU staying behind (along with rumors that Utah wants to stay with Cal, Stanford, UW and Oregon if possible) opens a spot in the 4 corners for that eastern hoops program.

Colorado, Arizona, UConn and Utah/SDSU would be just fine…. Of course then there is the whole first rule of conference realignment which dictates UConn can not benefit

Reaction Score
ASU staying behind (along with rumors that Utah wants to stay with Cal, Stanford, UW and Oregon if possible) opens a spot in the 4 corners for that eastern hoops program.

Colorado, Arizona, UConn and Utah/SDSU would be just fine…. Of course then there is the whole first rule of conference realignment which dictates UConn can not benefit
This seems like a pretty good summary of where things stand. UW and Oregon hoping for a B1G call up. Cal and Stanford don't see Big 12 as a fit or a priority. ASU has AD issues and hurt feelings I guess. Arizona, Colorado and UConn do benefit the conference and SDSU has some upside. Have no idea what Utah wants.

Reaction Score
yeah if it's not already done then it's not happening. It's either done behind closed doors and they're waiting to announce or we're just being moved around as a piece on the chessboard. I hope the media comments about it being a "done deal" aren't coming from our camp because if so, oof. We should know better.
What media comments said it was a done deal?

The AD Report said UConn and the Big 12 are talking. "The movement is gaining momentum but not guaranteed to happen. Both sides are still doing their homework."

And it was only 2 weeks ago that Russell Steinberg tweeted that Yormark was recently on campus but that it was "very exploratory" and does not mean anything is imminent.

Why do people think that something was going to happen NOW?

Reaction Score
What media comments said it was a done deal?

The AD Report said UConn and the Big 12 are talking. "The movement is gaining momentum but not guaranteed to happen. Both sides are still doing their homework."

And it was only 2 weeks ago that Russell Steinberg tweeted that Yormark was recently on campus but that it was "very exploratory" and does not mean anything is imminent.

Why do people think that something was going to happen NOW?
The Twitter media. Aka Torres and Norlander.

And because usually when people find out talks are going on it's because it's a purposeful media leak. This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum

Reaction Score
The reason UConn is under discussion is New York and Boston. Both markets are undervalued because the college product is pathetically inferior. The Big 12 is interested in Danny Hurley and Jim Mora and UConn has both of them.

Reaction Score
The Twitter media. Aka Torres and Norlander.

And because usually when people find out talks are going on it's because it's a purposeful media leak. This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum
The initial leaks followed silence from anyone on the UConn side indicates they are in serious negotiations. In fact I’m sure they entered into a non disclosure agreement. If there is a deal to be had, there will be a lot of things to manage and orchestrate, including the membership conditions and rights, BE notification, exit timing and exit fee issues, etc. So, the longer the silence, the more likely something is in the works. Conversely, if there was no deal happening, UConn would be lowering expectations and throwing reassuring kisses at the BE through various mouthpieces.

Reaction Score
How many media leaks and speculation tweets were there before the USC UCLA announcement?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom