Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement

Reaction Score
C'mon, it's not like we're dealing with Baby Tenderlove here. I'm not sure he needs all that much care and feeding. He knows and loves the place. He went elsewhere for a couple of years, had success and made new contacts outside the one's they have now. He fits this staff like a glove. And remember, he wasn't just a warrior he has a high BB IQ and displayed it in the heat of battle here in one of UConn's most famous plays (skip to 1:00):

Both announcers called out Freeman for grabbing the ball before it went out. After the game, Kevin said he knew they had a better chance to score it they didn't let Pitt set up. He was right!

Don’t be a drama queen. That’s clearly not what I meant. KFree has a lot to learn from guys like Tom Moore. I learn stuff from old timers in my business every day and I just turned 47. He isn’t an experienced recruiter. He should work out well and I’ve stated it in other posts. My point is, we have an excellent staff that can afford to bring on a coach that isn’t a proven, big time recruiter, as we already have 3 of them.

Reaction Score
All KF has to do is be able to relate to young players to be a good recruiter. He seems to be in that sweet spot, not too young nor too old.

He can also personally attest to the fact that you can win a NC at UConn, something just about all the other recruiters can't.

Reaction Score
All KF has to do is be able to relate to young players to be a good recruiter. He seems to be in that sweet spot, not too young nor too old.

He can also personally attest to the fact that you can win a NC at UConn, something just about all the other recruiters can't.
It certainly helps a lot but in recruiting connections and relationships to coaches, AAU, etc. matter even more these days.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20200831-165002_Twitter.jpg

Reaction Score
Me? You're talking about nurturing a 40+ year-old man making 6 figures.

Given that he is family and has little recruiting experience, nurture was a fair word choice. Again, I think KFree will succeed and am happy with the choice.

Reaction Score
To you and any others who disagree, we shall see then won't we?

I'll be taking names.
Disagree with what? That way more goes into recruiting than just relating to young players? You're factually wrong to a massive degree, even if Kevin Freeman becomes the greatest recruiter in the history of college basketball. So we probably don't need to wait, we can just call it now.

Also, you don't need to have been on the team to personally attest to the fact that you can win a NC at UConn, that's not how it works. And Tom Moore was on the team for 2 championships anyway.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hear he pulled in three Top 100 news stories for Lancaster Newspapers last year (per 247), and he’s won Best Mustache in the Lititz, PA metro area for a decade running. I’m sure Hurley sees the potential there.
Excellence is excellence...

Reaction Score
I think Kevin will do a great job if selected. How many guys get a P5 assistant gig without any coaching experience unless maybe you're a former NBA star. I thought he was a top candidate when I read the minimum qualifications, 2 years coaching at a P5

Reaction Score
I am fascinated by the notion that young Bigs could not benefit from a someone who played as an undersized PF in the OBE and was a warrior for JC on the Boards..And then applying his skills professionally.. Learning how to have the warrior mentality/be a warrior gets you to the next level.. OK..Folks seem to think you can "learn" how to be a Bigs coach even if you never played the position at any level.. If I was a 7' freshman about to compete in the BE.. It would be more credible to me to learn from someone who has walked the walk.. As for recruiting.. It's networking..Communicating .. Working the Rolodex.. Anyone with business experience who has been transferred into a new territory/geography knows this drill.. Outworking the competition makes up for some "apparent" shortcomings..

Reaction Score
Disagree with what? That way more goes into recruiting than just relating to young players? You're factually wrong to a massive degree, even if Kevin Freeman becomes the greatest recruiter in the history of college basketball. So we probably don't need to wait, we can just call it now.

Also, you don't need to have been on the team to personally attest to the fact that you can win a NC at UConn, that's not how it works. And Tom Moore was on the team for 2

Is this a serious post?
If he becomes the greatest recruiter in college basketball, and doesn't have those other great connections or experience you think he needs, how do you think he would have reeled in those recruits? Brand of toothpaste?

Factually wrong? Do you know what a fact actually is or means? What you are saying is no coach without those things you think he needs would ever succeed in recruiting. Which would mean there were never any rookie coaches or those who never recruited before that succeeded. Which is of course as false as can be.

Reaction Score
Is this a serious post?
If he becomes the greatest recruiter in college basketball, and doesn't have those other great connections or experience you think he needs, how do you think he would have reeled in those recruits? Brand of toothpaste?

Factually wrong? Do you know what a fact actually is or means? What you are saying is no coach without those things you think he needs would ever succeed in recruiting. Which would mean there were never any rookie coaches or those who never recruited before that succeeded. Which is of course as false as can be.
You said "All KF has to do is be able to relate to young players to be a good recruiter." That is objectively false.

KFree is going to be great here but it's not because all he has to do is relate to young kids. If that's true half this board would be qualified to become the next assistant coach

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I don’t know any of these coaches Never seen them run a practice , run a clinic, or work 1on 1. So I know nothing but what I read. I’ll be happy with this guy. — “somebody with, a winner with great character. somebody who can really teach and develop big men. somebody with great relationships in the Northeast corridor who could help us recruiting.”
I’ll take a guy like that

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I hear he pulled in three Top 100 news stories for Lancaster Newspapers last year (per 247), and he’s won Best Mustache in the Lititz, PA metro area for a decade running. I’m sure Hurley sees the potential there.
If you adjust for the crappy newspaper he's a part of he's definitely better than That Guy. Could replace him no problem.

Reaction Score
Will wait for the Carpenter to cast his vote..All that matters..Trust the Carpenter..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom