Kenya Hunter hired as Assistant Coach | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kenya Hunter hired as Assistant Coach

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Cooley is okay, but he doesn’t belong on that list.
Personally, I find it impressive what he's built at Providence. Consistent 20 win seasons, excellent recruiting in New England, and I swear his teams always seem well prepared. Of course he lacks the NCAA success, but do those guys besides Wright have it?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Personally, I find it impressive what he's built at Providence. Consistent 20 win seasons, excellent recruiting in New England, and I swear his teams always seem well prepared. Of course he lacks the NCAA success, but do those guys besides Wright have it?
Since the breakup of the big east, right?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
This. With Hurley, Hardaway, McKie, and Dooley, the AAC is well poised going into the 2020 contract. UConn needs to be UConn again.

The new Big East coaches have been poached to death. They are giving assistants long term HC contracts. Screw that. Now that Chris Mack left, the NBE coaches include Leitao, Steele, Wojrtrshyjyrdowski, Willard, Mullin, McDermott, Ewing, Cooley, Wright, Jordan. That is not worth much.
The big east has Nova and MSG. That’s it

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wait, are you trying to get credit for your opinion on assistant coaches? If so, congrats on going 3 for 3. You must be real proud.

This made me LOL in a cafe.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Lol. That wasn't what you said at the time, of course that was prebromance...Linky
mojo foreplay. Does not interfere with the bromance interloper.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
They will be. I had a dream they lost a heartbreaker in the s16, with 24 wins. Not sure if that dream was this coming year or what and hey, it was just a dream...But it was very similar to some of those heartbreakers throughout most of the 90s/game vs Texas.

Regardless, Uconn will come back with a venegance. Watch out!

You really need to work on the top end of your dreams.

C

Chief00

Kfree still might be retained in some capacity. Could very well be as part of the AD, as I recall he has some interest in that area, and in turn, they were also quite high on him.

I will violate the gag order - he may get Danny Griffiin’s old Developmemt job once they figure out what he did other than the hanging out with KO part. Just kidding. Actually, Danny was a good guy - wish him well.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sounds like a great hire based on the responses here and around the web.

I will ask the question though; what in the world was a highly touted recruiter with DMV connections doing at Nebraska? That's a big step down from Georgetown unless the B1G pay their assistants much more than the Big East. Was he given greater responsibilities at Nebraska than JT3 was offering him?

There's a ton of reasons. Money. Conference. More influence. Location. Closer to home. Closer to other jobs. Having the arduous task to pull recruits across the country. Most importantly, job security.

As an assistant, you're unfortunately not driving the bus of your job security, no matter how successful you are individually. If you think you're coach is on the hot seat, you start looking. If you don't like the way your guy does business, you start looking.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I will violate the gag order - he may get Danny Griffiin’s old Developmemt job once they figure out what he did other than the hanging out with KO part. Just kidding. Actually, Danny was a good guy - wish him well.

So's Kfree. I hope he gets retained.

C

Chief00

Its a shame your conference realignment gag order is 6 more years!
No it’s not conference realignment related - hopefully the KO thing settles soon and the NCAA stuff.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Salient point:

Nebraska tried hard to keep Hunter. Sources told The World-Herald that NU countered with a $320,000 annual salary — a $20,000 raise — and a title of associate head coach.

And yet to become a HC...

“I just thought getting back into my region would make it easier. I’m not typically known as a Midwest guy. This opportunity to get back to the northeast will help me in my career.’’

UCONN being better for your career is unspoken subtext.

[EDIT: later in the article he kinda says just that lol]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not trying to toot my own horn, but I remember being one of few who weren’t in love with Ollie’s assistant hires. So far I’m 3/3 on on Hurley’s hires. Moore is a no brainer, Young brings those ever so important New York connections, and Hunter has a track record as a bigs coach, while also covering the DMV. This staff looks terrific.

Out of curiosity, what do you think the phrase "Not trying to toot my own horn" means?

Reaction Score
Cooley is okay, but he doesn’t belong on that list.
Cooley is probably a better coach than both Williard & McDermott. I have never been a Cooley fan, but he has shown great improvement over the last few years.

Cooley has taken Providence to 5 straight NCAA tournaments. Providence is not a power house school and he has had basically 1 pro in his program over the last 5 years, yes Bentil as well but I am not even sure he is still in the league.

Go check out the roster he had this year, Cooley did a marvelous job in getting them to a 10 seed in the tourney.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Interesting. So do the assistant coaches play rock-paper-scissors if Hurley gets tossed in a game?

Hurley will just go with the hot hand. That's a good in game strategy.

Reaction Score

The bravery you're demonstrating putting your personal liberty at stake to share this insider nugget is inspiring.

Reaction Score
Ummm... old news. All that risk for regurgitation.;)
UConn Makes It Official: Hires Kimani Young For New Staff
None of Ollie’s assistants, Raphael Chillious, Dwayne Killings and Rickey Moore are expected to return. Kevin Freeman, who has been the director of basketball operations, is expected to be offered another role, perhaps in player-development/mentoring. Two from Hurley’s staff from URI, Eric Youncofski (director of operations) and Tripp Doherty (video), are expected to join him in Storrs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom