Kalbrenner: BE team looking forward to playing "obviously, UConn" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kalbrenner: BE team looking forward to playing "obviously, UConn"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's great to be confident in yourself. There'd be no problem with Kalkbrenner saying that he thinks he's better and that he should be the POY. Instead, he implies that he doesn't think Sanogo is any good and he comes off as arrogant.

Guys like Kemba and Shabazz would've displayed the same level of confidence -- but I feel like they would've phrased it differently so they didn't come off as trashing an opponent. Just my thoughts.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You people are ridiculous. Without context, yes, he said that Sanogo is a player that "other people say [is] good" and that "he doesn't know about that" assessment. But it's clear in the context of the discussion that when he is referencing players that "other people say are good," he means players that other people hold to be the best in their position in the Big East. So he's really saying, "Other people think Sanogo is the best big man in the Big East. I Disagree, because I think I'm the best big man in the Big East."

Now, do we want Adama to think Kalkbrenner claims that Adama isn't good? Heck yeah!
No, he was really saying what he really said. That other people say Adama is good but he doesn’t think so an then he laughed and arrogant laugh. If I am Adama my goal is to make him my bitch this year.

Reaction Score
I think you're 100% wrong about this. Even NFL pros talk about this stuff, and how using it as motivation improves performance.
I’ve seen it do as much harm as good. Probably more. It depends on the guys. Seen guys get so over hyped to “show that sob who is better” that they do dumb things like cheap shots, try to make plays that they can’t make and so forth. But as I say I suspect this one is a big nothing. Heck we all hate the guy and we don’t even agree what he meant.

Reaction Score
IMHO- We are in much better shape this year then last year up front. We can role people in and wear him down and extract some humility out of him over 40 minutes.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn Men's Basketball: Big man talks a big game

“Nobody’s better than me, only more experienced,” the UConn men’s basketball team’s junior center told the magazine. “I played Luke Harangody and he was not tough. Tyler Hansbrough? I don’t see nothing.”

Guaranteed the Boneyard circa 08 on Scout ate that Thabeet quote up.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
26:05. It's not that hard. You can think this kid comes across as a ou ch e ba g or you can meatride for his "confidence." Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
they arent mutually exclusive. can be both.

Reaction Score
I really do think you're the one reading into it, not us.

If he would've said your sentence, I'd have no problem with it. In fact, I already said as much when I quoted him. But instead he said "people say he's good."
No, he was really saying what he really said. That other people say Adama is good but he doesn’t think so an then he laughed and arrogant laugh. If I am Adama my goal is to make him my bitch this year.
Regardless of whether you guys are right in your interpretation or if I'm right, I stand by original comment: You guys are ridiculous!
Either:
  1. He meant to say that Sanogo isn't good, and he truly believes that. If so, he is an astonishingly bad judge of basketball ability. This is the least likely scenario in my opinion.
  2. He meant to say Sanogo isn't good, and it's meant as pure trash talk, as he knows that Sanogo is certainly quite good. If so, he's talking trash. Who cares? Hopefully Adama takes it personally, but one is ridiculous if one is a message board poster and gets worked up over this.
  3. He meant to say Sanogo isn't better than him, and truly believes it. (As I already said, it is obvious to me that this is what he meant, but I've been wrong before and will be again.) In this case, again, who gives a rip?
You know what, I amend my leading statement: You guys and I are ridiculous! Too much typing has been done on this topic.

CL82

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether you guys are right in your interpretation or if I'm right, I stand by original comment: You guys are ridiculous!
Either:
  1. He meant to say that Sanogo isn't good, and he truly believes that. If so, he is an astonishingly bad judge of basketball ability. This is the least likely scenario in my opinion.
  2. He meant to say Sanogo isn't good, and it's meant as pure trash talk, as he knows that Sanogo is certainly quite good. If so, he's talking trash. Who cares? Hopefully Adama takes it personally, but one is ridiculous if one is a message board poster and gets worked up over this.
  3. He meant to say Sanogo isn't better than him, and truly believes it. (As I already said, it is obvious to me that this is what he meant, but I've been wrong before and will be again.) In this case, again, who gives a rip?
You know what, I amend my leading statement: You guys and I are ridiculous! Too much typing has been done on this topic.
Is English his second language? No? [ Shrug] Maybe we should just take what he said at face value, rather than try to interpret it into something benign? He said what he said, and it was in no way ambiguous.

Reaction Score
Is English his second language? No? [ Shrug] Maybe we should just take what he said at face value, rather than try to interpret it into something benign? He said what he said, and it was in no way ambiguous.
I've already conceded that he may have meant any number of things, including exactly whatever your interpretation is. My overarching point is that this discussion is ridiculous.

CL82

Reaction Score
I've already conceded that he may have meant any number of things, including exactly whatever your interpretation is. My overarching point is that this discussion is ridiculous.
LOL, believe me your use of the word ridiculous like oh I don’t know 80 times was a pretty clear indicator of your “over arching point.” I agree with you if it were being discussed, oh, I don’t know on the Senate floor or something, but on a men’s basketball forum, this is pretty much meat and potatoes.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen it do as much harm as good. Probably more. It depends on the guys. Seen guys get so over hyped to “show that sob who is better” that they do dumb things like cheap shots, try to make plays that they can’t make and so forth. But as I say I suspect this one is a big nothing. Heck we all hate the guy and we don’t even agree what he meant.
I'm just saying that players pay attention to this stuff, and save it up. They even collect it. Whether it does them any good or not, thats on them. When people say they gave it their all today, or 100%, or played harder, fans will tend to think that's just a cliche response. But athletes are human beings and they really do go all out some days but not other days, unless they're superhuman. Mike Tyson let his guard down against Buster Douglas.

Reaction Score
I can understand what Get a Job is saying. I think Get a Job means that Kalk misspoke or messed up or meant to say.

CL82

Reaction Score
I can understand what Get a Job is saying. I think Get a Job means that Kalk misspoke or messed up or meant to say.
Oh I get what he’s trying to say, but having watched the interview, I think he’s wrong. Kalk wasn’t in any way coy about what he was saying. He said it plainly and repeatedly with an arrogant smirk on his face. It’s all good, he laid down the gauntlet, now it’s up to Adama to decide whether or not he wants to pick it up and ram it down his throat. From a fan‘s perspective, this just makes the game more interesting to me.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I tend to think the kid comes across as a gigantic [word for feminine hygiene receptacle] but, at the same time, Creighton has owned UConn. So what can you do? Win, I suppose.
52235ef4634311c8411ac5f3501e7b7fe08f453f.gif

Reaction Score
Screw him confident is one thing but being sure you say you just don’t think he’s that good is another.

Circle that game as well, can’t wait!

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, last season Creighton "dominated" the Huskies by defeating them in two games by 4 and 2 points respectively.
When you get beat consistently by the same thing... maybe you should consider doing something different.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
When you get beat consistently by the same thing... maybe you should consider doing something different.
Let's hope we some new looks and better results this season.

Reaction Score
I don't even think Kalk is the best player on his own team. Kaluma should be a monster this year.

If he can get to 30%+ on his 3 point shooting I agree. I really like his game.

Reaction Score
I don't like his cocky, entitled, and disrespectful attitude, and if I'm Greg McDermott I'm not pleased, but if anything this should be further motivation for Adama and the Huskies. And if they needed a fire lit under their butts, Ryan Kalkbrenner just lit the match.
Where do you think he gets that cocky self entitled and disrespectful attitude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom